Book of the Moment

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Book of the Moment

Postby Monde Luna » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:41 pm

How have I missed this thread? Anyway I've been reading a lot of textbooks and the like but I'm also reading:

Johannes Brahms a Biography by Jan Swafford - If your into musical bio's this one is very good. It's an easy read and Brahms had quite a life.

Nature/Walking by Emerson/Thoreau - Actually I'm just about to start this book. It was reccomended to me by a dear friend/mentor.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Postby Shin Otaku III » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I'll bite.

I'm currently reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick

I went out and picked it up after my brother called me and recommended it. Although, I won't be able to read it in the fashion he recommended: read it in one sitting without sleeping and drinking tons of alcohol... lol

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Giving this thread a Phoenix Down cause most every other major art form is already covered here. I'm reading he Kalevala, aka that national epic of Finland complied by Elias Lönnrot. I've always enjoyed ancient epics, so far I've read the Nihon Shoki and Kojiki of Japan, the Poetic Eddas of the ancient Norse (my translation only had the age of the gods, it stopped before the age of the Heroes.) The thing I like about the Kalevala is that the translation I am reading keep the meter which makes reading it more enjoyable. Plus it was certainly an inspiration for Tolkien, and I read and enjoyed LoTR/The Hobbit/The Silmarillion many years ago.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby MaroonChan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:59 am

"Precious Moments Holy Bible"

kazuya
Lann Fisherman

Postby kazuya » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:34 am

DEFINITELY Don Quixote to Nujabes in the background!
Darkness beyond twilight
Crimson beyond blood that flows
Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed
by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby MaroonChan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm

"Precious Moments Holy Bible"

"Frozen II: Forest of Shadows" by Kamilla Benko

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:04 pm

The Decay of the Angel (Mishima Yukio): Not as good as the emotional Spring Snow, or the ideologically pure Runaway Horses, but still better than the meandering plot of The Temple of Dawn so far. (All these books are part of Mishima's Sea of Fertility Tetralogy)

Selected poems of the Manyoushu (multiple authors) I prefer the longer nature of these Choka poems to the shorter Tanka/Haiku that dominated later in Japanese history. A lot of love and nature imagery.

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:57 am

I don't do much reading these days outside of textbooks and such, because i get so engrossed in novels that I become nonresponsive to spouse, which freaks him out. So I have to ration them carefully. Last books I read were probably the two Lady Astronaut books by Mary Robinette Kowal (The Calculating Stars and The Fated Sky), alt-history sf set in a 1950s in which a meteor obliterated most of the East Coast and precipitated an extinction event, forcing space exploration to the top of the global priority list. They're both very compelling, and the first won the Hugo for Best Novel last year.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Postby brit » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:37 pm

I read a lot at my job. Mostly on slow days.

Last week I read the novel 'Crave' by Tracy Wolff within 12 hours. Loved every bit of it and can't wait for book 2 next april. It is similar to Twilight, but very different.

This week I am reading 'Mirror, Mirror' by Jen Calonita. It is part of the Disney twisted tale series.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:40 pm

A couple of days ago I finished the Wayfarer trilogy by Becky Chambers. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is the first one. Entertaining and thought-provoking science fiction; I'm not sure if it'd be considered space opera since I'm not sure of the exact definition of that, but it does take place almost entirely in space. Well, the first and third ones do.

I'll probably start the Interdependency books by John Scalzi next -- The Collapsing Empire is the first one -- since the third one comes out today or tomorrow. Apparently the main character swears rather a lot, and I swear not at all, but I usually find Scalzi pretty entertaining also.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Postby Kizyr » Fri May 08, 2020 3:57 pm

One of the last events I went to before lockdowns/social distancing was with Lesley Nneka Arimah, author of What It Means When a Man Falls From the Sky (https://bookshop.org/books/what-it-mean ... 0735211032). I picked up a signed copy while I was there.

Arimah is a Nigerian author, focusing on speculative fiction and science fiction. Levar Burton featured one of her stories in the first season of Levar Burton Reads and I really recommend giving it a listen (https://art19.com/shows/levar-burton-re ... d2bb0c0894).
~Kizyr

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby MaroonChan » Thu May 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Extreme Teen Bible and "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom, Elizabeth Sherrill, and John Sherrill.

Return to “Anime, Music, TV/Movies, and Books”