FF7: Avent Children

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.

Have you seen FF7: Advent Children?

Yes and I LOVED it!
47%
Yes and it was pretty good.
16%
Yes, and I didn't like it.
No votes
No, but I can't wait!
11%
No, doesn't it come out in Nov/Dec...right?
5%
No, and I NEVER wanna see it!
11%
No, but if I hear it's good I'll check it out.
11%

Total votes: 19

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

FF7: Avent Children

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Have you seen it? If so, what did you think? It's late so I will post my thoughts later ^^ However, I'll say I really liked it. I think it was mainly fan service rather than a story, but I didn't really mind at all.

Lord_Ghaleon
Student of Vane

Post by Lord_Ghaleon »

I saw Advent children just today... all i have to say is that it rocks...
Everything about the movie is so beautiful... there are some drawbacks, but i don't want to say anything about the movie that could spoil it.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

It was an awesome movie, but only for those who like fast-paced action and played the game. The story is just about as nonexistent as it can get and is barely explained at all, not to mention you aren't even introduced to half of the characters. They just show up and you are expected to already know who they are and all about them. It isn't very friendly to people who haven't played the game at all.

A few of my biggest half-gripes about the movie:

[spoiler]1.) Reno and Rude were turned into pretty much morons who were only in the movie for Comic Relief. Now, I'm not going to lie. I found them hilarious, but that is besides the point. They should have had a bit more of a serious role than they did.

2.) Tifa and Cloud are the only characters from the main party to have a vital role (if you can call it that) in the movie. The rest of the group (Barret, Cid, Vincent, Yuffie, Red XIII, Cait Sith, and obviously Aeris) have pretty much no part in the movie at all. They just show up out of absolutely nowhere for one mini-battle that doesn't last very long and then they're gone. They have a few more lines in the Sierra later on, but not much. (I believe Red XIII has all of one line in the entire movie..)

3.) Aeris and Zack saying so little, especially Zack. (I don't think he talks at all besides the flashbacks) I mean if you're going to go through the trouble of having two dead Characters in the ending, at least give them some inspiring words to pass on to Cloud before the credits, ya know? :P[/spoiler]

There are more gripes, but those are pretty much the minor ones that bothered me a bit.

Fans will probably love it unless they don't really care for action, but everybody else is going to be lost and confused. I guess hardcore fans of DBZ-esque gravity defying battles could enjoy it without having played the game, but not many other people I don't think.

Final Fantasy Fanservice: Advent Children gets a 10/10. :P
- Mike

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

...This isn't in my local theatre. I'd have noticed.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Angelalex242 wrote:...This isn't in my local theatre. I'd have noticed.

It's out in Japan and there's an english subtitle DVD-rip floating around on the internet already.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Angelalex242 wrote:...This isn't in my local theatre. I'd have noticed.

Apparently it is no longer going to theaters at all as originally planned, and the supposed 'simultaneous release' didn't happen because the NA release was silently delayed.
- Mike

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Man, that sucks! But it's still going to be released officially in the US right? I was actually looking forward to collecting it. I wonder if they'll get celebs to do the voice acting again... haha... oh man.

Edit: All I have to say... "It's warm!" lol that was a hilarious line. Thank you Donald Sutherland.
Last edited by PrettyGirlJean on Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:Man, that sucks! But it's still going to be released officially in the US right? I was actually looking forward to collecting it. I wonder if they'll get celebs to do the voice acting again... haha... oh man.

It was pushed back until November, if I remember correctly..
- Mike

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I'd say the word for it was spectacular (since it was basically endless spectacle). The fight choeography ranged from overblown to biblically proprotioned. :shock: I was pleased to see Vincent get some attentioned payed to him (unsuprising since he's about to get his own game).

Some good seiyuu in it as well - Morikawa Toshiyuki as Sephiroth seems like the only sensible choice, and Sakamoto Maaya as Aerith is such good casting, it almost makes me like the character. Were they reprising from Kingdom Hearts?

But I have a number of questions about what passed for a plot...

Watch out! Spoilers!

[spoiler]1. What did Rufus want with Jenova's head anyway?

2. Was Rufus unaware of Kadaj when he ordered the recovery of the head?

3. Was Rufus trying to play Kadaj and Cloud against each other, or did Rufus legitimately fear that he couldn't overcome Kadaj and co.?

4. Can I assume that when Rufus threw Jenova's head off the building, that was an attempt to eliminate Kadaj that ended in failure?
[/spoiler]

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I couldn't answer those things if I tried. The plot is so thin in that movie. Thankfully Last Order has a better plot. (Although it changed a lot of things that we were told in the game. :/)
- Mike

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Usually, nothing meets my standards because they are so high, and I had very high expectation for Advent Children. I worship FF VII :P But surprisingly enough, the movie actually came VERY close to meeting my expectations. I loved it. Just seeing Cloud and the gang again... so awesome. A FF VII fan couldn't have asked for more.

... Cept for maybe another RPG sequel game *coughs* But that IS supposodely in developement for PSP. FF VII: Crisis Core

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

...If they use Lance Bass for Sephiroth's voice again, I'm going to KILL Somebody. Probably Lance Bass.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I voted the same as I did on your DA - No, and I'll NEVER see it!! XD Which means I'll never go spend ANY money to go see it. At all. If a friend buys it and makes me watch it, fine. But FFVII isn't worth it. Now, if it was VI.......but that would never happen. :|

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Greensky wrote:... Cept for maybe another RPG sequel game *coughs* But that IS supposodely in developement for PSP. FF VII: Crisis Core

Crisis Core is a prequel, not a sequel. It's about Zack anyway. It is going to be "Zack's Game". (Not complaining, I've always liked Zack.)

...If they use Lance Bass for Sephiroth's voice again, I'm going to KILL Somebody. Probably Lance Bass.

:roll:

I'm so tired of seeing this everywhere. Lance Bass did a fine job with his less-than-one-line in Kingdom Hearts, and the fact that he just so happens to have been in a Boy Band in no way effects his ability to be a good voice actor. As long as it sounds good, I wouldn't care if Britney Spears did Sephiroth's voice. (People seem to forget that Lance Bass is a baritone/bass, so doing a deep menacing voice fits him.)

Honestly. You haven't even heard it and already you are making threats on the life of somebody you don't even know. :| Now, if he does a horrible job you're welcome to complain, but let's not count our Boy Band Members before they're cast!

Especially when there isn't a reason to assume they would use him anyway.
- Mike

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

NallOne wrote:I'm so tired of seeing this everywhere. Lance Bass did a fine job with his less-than-one-line in Kingdom Hearts, and the fact that he just so happens to have been in a Boy Band in no way effects his ability to be a good voice actor. As long as it sounds good, I wouldn't care if Britney Spears did Sephiroth's voice. (People seem to forget that Lance Bass is a baritone/bass, so doing a deep menacing voice fits him.)

Ashley Angel was (is?) in a boy band, and he did a fine job of Alex, both in TSS and SSS.

Ok, so this was before O-Town, but still. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

Dude, this movie is pure eye candy... and I love it. Tifa kicks butt, yo. Man, Aeris fans... Aeris would never get a cool fight scene like that. All she'd do is repeatedly whack Loz with her stick until it breaks.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I've heard him in Kingdom Hearts often enough. No sir, I didn't like it. And there's no sense in repeating mistakes.

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Wolfman_Samurai »

I liked this movie but it made me realise one thing. My computer sucks. I can't run Divx on my bronze age iMac. The player I use to play avis and Divx files couldn't display the subtitles. So my fiance and I sat there through the whole movie kinda filling in the blanks. Even though I didn't know what they said I still teared up at the end. My hair started standing on end several times. But yeah, If you don't have found memories of raceing your chocobo in the S ranks at Gold Saucer and feeling giddy when you unleashed Knights of the Round on an unsuspecting cactuar, you might not get as much joy out of this movie as my fiance and I did.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No DVD player? Though I suppose there's a region issue if you import. Still, if you have a PS2 and/or a normal DVD player, why not just wait and buy the US release?

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

NallOne wrote:
Greensky wrote:... Cept for maybe another RPG sequel game *coughs* But that IS supposodely in developement for PSP. FF VII: Crisis Core

Crisis Core is a prequel, not a sequel. It's about Zack anyway. It is going to be "Zack's Game". (Not complaining, I've always liked Zack.)

Oh, yeah my bad. But I've always loved Zack as well, so I'm glad he's getting some spotlight soon.