Attention Writers

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Attention Writers

Post by Aquaignis »

http://www.shurtugal.com , which is an official website of the Inheritance Trilogy, has a new link up! It is:

http://fanfiction.shurtugal.com/

It is an awesome site for writers! Anyone can just put up a story that they wrote and can have it rated by other up-and-comming writers. It does not even have to be about the Inheritance Trilogy; it can be some original fiction. The categories are: "poetry", "before the trilogy", "during book 1", "during book 2", "after the trilogy", and "original fiction". There is even a forum.

I personally have read the Mountain Dragon Trilogy and it deserves a 5-out-of-5 stars. It is under the category, "before the trilogy". It's a first person story about a dragon!

Everyone check it out!!
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Just a warning, but I doubt many up-and-coming writers would be found on a fanfic site. And I'm saying this as both a fanfic writer and someone who has had been paid to have her original, non-fanfic work published. You'll get a lot of other amateurs who may be very good, but up-and-coming writers implies that they're currently moving up in the writing world, which isn't very likely. If they were making a name for themselves they wouldn't be writing fanfic. They'd be writing their own material.

Another warning, if you value your original non-fanfic work, NEVER post it on an open website that anyone can access. Not because someone may steal you work, but if you make it publically available in that fashion, why would a publisher ever buy it from you? Everyone can just get a free off the net. You will use up your first publication rights and make it extremely different to sell your story as anything other than a reprint (and reprints sell for substantially less than unpublished works).

That said, I think it's a fine thing that there is an official place for Inheritance fanfiction. Anne McCaffrey was the first author I knew of to set up a sanctioned place for her fans to post fanfiction. Given the grey area around fanfiction (writers cannot read fanfics of their own work due to the legal ramifications that could happen if any plotline of theirs winds up too close to a fanfic they read), but by creating these sactioned areas they can make rules to protect themselves while still allowing their fans to create. I'm glad Paolini is doing something similar.

I don't have a problem with people writing fanfic. I've done it too. But I don't want people to jump in and waste an original piece of work dear to their heart without realizing the implications of what could happen. If you really want a critique group for original works, I would suggest Critters (http://www.critique.org) which is run by one of the VPs of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. Access to the stories is password-protected, so only critique group members can get to them, thus your publication rights are safe.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Thanks for your advice, Rune, but I wasn't planning on sending anything anyway. There are some really good stories, though. I'm sure it's protected in some way.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Nice, the story behind the story.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon