Fanart: Ghaleon and Dark Althena

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Fanart: Ghaleon and Dark Althena

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hi there all!

Please let me know what you think (good or bad)!

http://fs7.deviantart.com/i/2005/166/1/ ... nstane.jpg

Thanks a lot! ^^y

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wow, that's different. I'll try to work up a detailed response when I have more time/mental energy, but that's just so totally different in feel and approach from any other fanart I've seen that it will really take some thought and reorienting, so to speak. Quick impression of the color scheme was that I was expecting to pick out Lucia with all that wonderful red. Lovely, vivid colors -- in a darkly dramatic way, of course.

Genocide
Pao Hunter

Post by Genocide »

Nice work. I like your style.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hey Danni!

Say what's the deal with using a new name? I'm sure your old one should still be in the system. Unless of course you prefer this one.

Good to see you back, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

My first impression is that I like it too! I especially like how you have Althena being held in the palm of Ghaleon's hand. There's also something to Dark Althena's expression... I would say a little malevolent, but also... coy? I'm not sure. A lot of effort appears to have went in this, and I enjoy it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I really love this. You're an amazing artist. I especially love Dark Althena's expression, like Sonic said...malevolent, but coy.

Although I don't agree with Sonic about Althena being held in Ghaleon's hand. It feels kind of misplaced to me...It's probably the color scheme. But, It just seems weird. Of course it's a wonderful drawing no matter what.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. evil Althena.

hehe very well done. I like it.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

It looks really good.
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Thanks for all the comments! ^_^y

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Yay! I love feedback :D

Seriously though, thanks everyone :) I agree with Mia about Althena in Ghaleon's hand... I'm not sure if this is done because of that. I don't know if I can make her look better... I was trying to go for a soft almost ghostly look/feel so I didn't really put detail into the colors leaving them really light. I think maybe it's the dark aura around her, but I really wanted it to seem like her light was imprisoned by a dark force and that Ghaleon had the power of Althena in his hand.

Also, I gave Ghaleon a bit more 'color' than some people have liked. I know he's pretty pasty but I think I like his coloring when he meets Luna in his garden... It's almost like he ran and powdered his face before meeting Alex! :lol: Anyhow, I gave Althena a lighter skin tone but one that that was a tad on the pasty side too trying to give her the dead but alive look ^^

Otherwise I was really trying to get the colors as close as possible. I'm still new to photoshop and still learning so some of the colors I think are off... like the purple parts of Ghaleon's clothing. I think I made need to make the purple a bit darker. I love perspective and lighting and while there isn't strong perspective I think the lighting is nice (not to toot my own horn!).

Again, thanks to everyone for posting, I really appreciate it! I'll be displaying this at Otakon in Artists Alley... I want to prove that I can do more than just chibi art darnit! :D

Take care! ^^y

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

This is a really cool pic! I love how Dark Althena looks so evil. The whole Althena in the palm of Ghaleon's hand was interesting...

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Simply the best piece of Lunar fanart I've ever seen, great job! Although, the fingers on Ghaleon's upper hand are a little strange. It's a hard angle to work with. Probably the most difficult, in my opinion. I especially love dark Althena's profile.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Well, I don't know much about visual art in general, but I like this. Very cool.

Kyon
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kyon »

Very nice. :} [claps]
*(^-^)* Kyon Neko

ToLazy2Sit
Burg Farmer

Nice

Post by ToLazy2Sit »

ya got talent kid
You heard it too, didn't you?

JorJorMogBoi
Meryod Yokel

Phony Too-Long Comments

Post by JorJorMogBoi »

Whoa, I like it a lot! The characters are recognizable but not in the exact style of the game, which is cool. It's very comic-book-y. I'm probably thinking that because the poses/expressions are just so badass and powerful (?) looking. (Not very 'Happy" like the actual game.) Actually they're cool and dominating; they're not really doing anything that demonstrates power. Whatever, it's awesome.

Also, the whole Luna in Ghaleon's hand thing is a great idea, but it doesn't look right in the picture. I think the artist nailed it on the head when s/he said it was the dark aura around Luna. It literally looks like it was cut and paste from another picture. Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh; the whole picture is AWESOME. I just think maybe if you wanted that dark aura, some of it should be lit on Ghaleon's hand. Like it's a pitch black aura, but Ghaleon's gloves are still white. Also, I think some sort of semi-transparent texture (like reflective glass) or added detail to Luna could benefit the picture. Like make it look like the aura that's imprisoning her is surrounding her at all angles (not just a 2D border). Also, since Luna is just filled with plain color (no shading), she sticks out a little. (This could be helped with the aforementioned texturing/detail work.) So basically, the dark aura/Good Luna is cool; it just needs to look more like it's part of the picture and not so entirely separate from it. You probably are already aware of this though, since you brought it up yourself. ^^;

Of course another option is to get rid of Good Luna altogether, and put something in his hand that symbolizes her good side instead. You've probably considered that as well, so I guess I'm done. Whatever you do, leave it as, or add to it, excellent job!

Oh, and to add to something else you said, I think the perspective/lighting works well too. Excellent cell shading on the faces, especially Ghaleon's. And I like how you didn't overuse that dodge/burn shading on the hair, but I'm still glad you used it. (Shiny's = Goodies!) Actually, on a 2nd look, it seems to be cell shaded, not dodged/burn, but it sure looks like it, heh. Oh yeah, and hey, nice outfitting on the Good Luna; I don't remember that from in-game.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Except for the handcuffs, she replicated Althena's clothing pretty well. It's not so noticeable in the game because you only see her in that outfit in the flashbacks with Dyne, and some or all of them are sepia-toned. You can see the concept drawing in the manual, though. Although...it looks like the shawl is going through her...can't really see where those ends are supposed to attached to the loop around her arms and body. A point you (Danni, that is) may not have realized is that Althena's shawl is worn sort of backwards or upside-down to how shawls would normally be worn -- rather than going over her arms from behind and the ends wrapping over the arms toward the body, the shawl goes around her body and then the ends wrap around her arms toward the outside. It's hard to tell if that's what you were trying to draw or not. Also, with her arms covering her chest so much her hips end up looking too large.

My other quick comment is that Ghaleon's other hand seems too twisted, with the back of the hand in almost the same plane as his face. This is rather painful-looking.

I'm not sure what to make of Dark Atlhena. She's very well executed; I'm just not sure if the face fits the character and role. It's too...knowing, perhaps, as if she were in the plot from the beginning. Seems more an expression I'd expect from Xenobia, really. I guess what I'm thinking of is that even though Althena is essentially ageless, Dark Althena didn't seem as old as this person.

I really love the lighting and shading. The shading around Althena does seem a bit wrong, and I think it's because the lines of Ghaleon's hand are so clear, when one would expect them to be blurred due to the light in front of them. And, as noted, the lack of detail and shading on Althena compared to the rest of the picture make her stick out a bit.