ReMake of Lunar DS *New pic of Perit Village*

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: ReMake of Lunar DS *New Picture*

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Of course, I am not unbiased. I've said before that the only way I'd be likely to be happy with a Four Heroes game is if I were involved in its development, because otherwise unless some extremely dedicated and obsessive writers and developers work to include every little thing that could possibly relate, the same things that I (and fans in general, I suppose) are aware of, it will conflict with something and feel wrong.
I could work on it.

Then again, the Lunar series oftentimes isn't consistent with itself as-is, barring new additions. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Of course, I am not unbiased. I've said before that the only way I'd be likely to be happy with a Four Heroes game is if I were involved in its development, because otherwise unless some extremely dedicated and obsessive writers and developers work to include every little thing that could possibly relate, the same things that I (and fans in general, I suppose) are aware of, it will conflict with something and feel wrong.
I could work on it.

Then again, the Lunar series oftentimes isn't consistent with itself as-is, barring new additions. KF
It's more that that, though...correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but Alun appears to be talking about not only the obsessive nature of the niche fan (which we all are, or else why would we be on this board), but the inherent nature of the sequel/pastiche.

(I'm actually paraphrasing...broadly...here from Robert Price's introduction to The Xothic Legend Cycle which is just about the best short essay I've ever read on the subject of pastiche...which is appropriate since the book itself is a collection of Lin Carter's Cthulhu Mythos stories, but I digress.)

The "sequel problem" is generated largely because the original material does not only consist of itself in our minds (words, pictures, etc.), but consists of our interaction with it. That is, I hold a "Lunar" in my own mind, just as you hold one in yours and Alun holds one in hers, but those "Lunars" have significant differences because of who we are and how we bring our personal perceptions and experiences to the table.

When a pastiche or sequel is created, the pastichist does not attempt to recreate the original material, but the image of the original that they hold in their mind. That is, if I write a Sherlock Holmes story, that story won't be my attempt to duplicate Conan Doyle's writing, but to duplicate the feelings and ideas that Sherlock Holmes stories mean to me. Thus the perceived quality of a pastiche is affected not only by the writer's ability to express their feelings, but how close the writer's view of the original is to the audience's. Even a great writer can make a crappy sequel if they had a view of the original that doesn't "mesh" with the audience's (one reason among many why, for example, whichever came first among the movie or the book will almost always be perceived to be better, and generally speaking people prefer whichever of TSS or SSSC they encountered first).

This is one of many problems about Dragon Song--Lunar fans went into it with a particular idea about what Lunar was, and Dragon Song wasn't it. Since the original was unsatisfying, a remake such as the one proposed in this thread, if completed, has a good chance of being seen as an improvement.

On the other hand, a new Lunar game, made many years after the original, probably by a different design team, will likely incorporate elements or express the story in a different way than the original did. Moreover, since it would feature a number of characters well-known from previous Lunar games, it would be easy to fall astray of "betraying" people's mental images of those characters. Like Alun, I'm rather dubious that a Four Heroes game would actually fulfill my hopes and would instead prove to be a rather large disappointment.

(My wife is both anticipating and dreading the new Gyakuten Saiban game, the one featuring Miles Edgeworth as the PC, for the same reason.)

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

OOPS! Ummm... well I thought I made a reply here before I went on holiday? Well anyways, I had friends from MN come down to Atlanta so I didn't have any time to work on the game. I'm back now and I should have a new picture up very soon! :)

About the great responses about the name idea? I had covered this in my reply that I didn't post. LOL... So the name isn't important... well not at the moment. No matter what we call it, its going to be called the Dragon song remake by people just talking about it. Even if we called it iLUNAR it will still be just dragon song remake to others.

This should be very clear that its a fan project. I'm using graphics from MANY MANY games along with my own to create a world that we all know. This is very hard being that i'm not using the normal Lunar format. I don't want that. I could make it look just like lunar but then it would fall short because its not offical. I could rip graphics from all of the lunar games but I don't feel like that would fit this project. I'm not even using the same item icons from any of the Lunar complete games. This is going to feel like a fan project while keeping it very close to the idea of Dragon Song. Thats all this is. ^_^ ... Thats why I want your ideas and thoughts.

I really did enjoy Alunissage, and DezoPenguin posts. Thanks!
Depend On You Changed My Life.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hey guys, I know it's only been a week but I was wondering if you had some new sketches or screens to share x) I can't wait to see more! xD

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I'm waiting until I have more stuff that's "completed", but if you want sketches I can work on getting those...
-Nobi

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I wouldn't doubt Sadrin is still working on this Nobo, but he's probably caught up in summer revelry.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

oro?
-Nobi

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:oro?
DOOD!
I think she just means that there's no need for a time crunch, or no need for a rush. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Well, here's a couple of sketches I did tonight

-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There's something about that one of Flora that seems out of character, or too old for her character. She's 13, but the sketch doesn't show that. (I usually ignore the ages of characters in games since they never make sense, but I think that she's intended to be significantly younger than other characters regardless; I'm pretty sure she's the youngest in the series except maybe the MS girls.)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Flora's actually supposed to be 11. That sketch does age her a little bit.

Actually, one nice change would be if you added 8 years onto everyone's age. Just tossing it out there. You wouldn't really need to alter the sketches too much, I think. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I never agreed with the ages listed in the manual personally... it just didn't seem to fit any of the characters. >> I wonder if we could change that.
-Nobi

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:I never agreed with the ages listed in the manual personally... it just didn't seem to fit any of the characters. >> I wonder if we could change that.
Well, based purely on the events of the game, a much more reasonable age would be like:
Jian: 18 (listed as 12 or 13)
Lucia: 17-18 (listed as 12)
Gaby: 18 (listed as 12 I think)
Flora: 15 (listed as 10 or 11)
Rufus: 25-30

Of course it's up to you. But the only game where young ages made sense was in Magical School Lunar (most were 13-14). The characterization in MSL was also the best part of the game. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I agree. Seeing as are remake isn't 100% canon anyway, it's not like altering the ages of the characters would have a significant impact on the story (none that I can recall anyway...)

What do you think, Sadrin?
-Nobi

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted anything new. Delrich temple has really drove me bonkers!! I really want it to set our bar as far as map design goes. I hope to have that done within two weeks? I'm also working on Perit village and a few other little things. I'm trying to keep the terrain consistent within Caldor. I'm messing around with grass styles and i'm chopping the coffee bean cliffs for good. ^_^ I sometimes feel like i'm going nowhere with the graphics! lol I wake up at 7:30am and start working on this stuff till about 4:30. Just saying that i'm working very hard on this and still loving it. :)

Nobiyuki77- Awesome work as always! ^_^

I'm very happy that you guys think everyone should be older. I never liked that ages that are given for the characters. Looking at Flora, you would think she grew up eating lots of tyson chicken. I'm just saying that I wouldn't want my 13 year old dressing like that. (I can't wait to be a father.)
Kizyr- are you going by the Japanese manual? The ages in my booklet says:
Jian - 15
Lucia - 14
Gabryel - 15
Flora - 13
Rufus - Unknown

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Sadrin wrote:I'm very happy that you guys think everyone should be older. I never liked that ages that are given for the characters. Looking at Flora, you would think she grew up eating lots of tyson chicken. I'm just saying that I wouldn't want my 13 year old dressing like that. (I can't wait to be a father.)
Kizyr- are you going by the Japanese manual? The ages in my booklet says:
Jian - 15
Lucia - 14
Gabryel - 15
Flora - 13
Rufus - Unknown
Hm, I'm going to have to check when I get home. But, Jian was the youngest main character in any of the Lunar games, if I recall correctly. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

My manual says the same.
-Nobi

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Wow. Ok sorry for the major lack of updates!! :oops: I had a super ultra mega bad fever this last weekend and i'm finally well again. Phew... I'll be going up to Asheville, NC on holiday for the 4th,5th, and 6th. I'm working on shifting some graphics and changing a little bit of the format. It's going to be neat! I'm also working on a bible? of sorts for Lunar Dragon Song. This will help with the final layout for this project. I might post that here. I guess this works as a little update? :wink:

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I have 2 friends visiting during the same week (go figure). One from California and one from Florida. I'll be a little busy...

... sorry. *hides*
-Nobi

Arm
Nanza Bandit

Post by Arm »

Hi,

I noticed that several people were working on a Lunar DS remake project :)
As an official Lunar DS game soundtrack doesn't seem to exist, I decided to rip
the audio from the game's rom, capture it and then enhance the sound quality.
If you wanted to use the original music from the game, hopefully those tracks could be
useful.
I can also lend you a hand if you need help for character art (portraits or such)
I can send a couple of sketches if you want to see, or check the link below.

http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/armen.php

Anyway, Please tell me if you're interested.

I also sent a PM to you, Sadrin. :)