New Character for a new site *now colored*

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

New Character for a new site *now colored*

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

A dude who's starting up a website called JDose in the future has asked me to design a character for him. This is the concept I'm working on.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Nobiyuki77 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: New Character for a new site

Post by phyco126 »

Oh, she's cute. ^^;

Love the third picture of her. Though I have to ask, why such a short skirt/dress?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I guess 'cause I rarely do them, and when drawn right they can be quite attractive (yes I know, I'm a bad male pig).

"Just trying it on," so to speak.
-Nobi

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

i like them i guess i am a normal male pig to :lol:

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

that is really good. The third picture is the best i do say. Would love to see any other ones you can make. What I was thinking (color wise for the second picture) is to have dark-brown hair, pink uniform, black shoes and belt, the roses (obviously) red, and the eyes maybe blue?
All in all this is good.
"may you go with god's protection"-Nicholas D.Wolfwood

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, the character really is good and all, but I have to say that she still looks just like Giga Girl with another hairstyle. You may want to add more distinctive elements to her (and, equivalently, remove those elements you think are more distinctive of your other characters like Giga Girl) to make her stand out. After all, you don't want all your characters looking too similar. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, I was thinking that the first few faces looked very Lunarian, except perhaps the mouth (which reminds me of Rhapsody's Cornet). Look at the first one. Does it not resemble Luna with her hair down? The pointed chin, the eye shape. The second has a look of Xenobia.

That seems to be the basic problem of anime styling. The faces are so stylized that there's a total dependency on color, hairstyle, and clothing/accessories to distinguish them. I think Giga Girl has wider-set eyes, though.

I like the idea of the freeform pose at the end, but I don't think having the flower vine go straight up her breast is a good idea. Just a bit too obvious, you know? Not to mention harder to draw on a contour. The flower looks like an attempt to draw in a nipple while concealing the classic inability of the wannabe manga artist to know where it actually goes. (I'm not placing you in that category; you've come a long way since that "apples" drawing. But I really strongly advise against it.) I like the basic idea of the garment otherwise; I've always thought flower vines were very pretty and more pleasing than allover floral motifs. Just move the vine more to the center and have it curve up toward the shoulder above the bustline.

Also, the heel of her hand in the closeup is too large, distorted; by contrast, the other hand looks deformed. The inner thighs look wrong because you've automatically drawn them as curving toward the outside but that's not what they'd do at that angle. Even anorexic Barbie types still have to have legs that join to their bodies.

I don't know if you intend the horizontal lines around her thighs to be the tops of stockings or the bottoms of shorts. But I really wish you'd resist the compulsion to make them stockings like so many people do. It's clear that the people who draw these things have never worn the garments in question.

The weight doesn't look like it's realistically distributed on the standing drawing. I think her left knee would have to be bent a bit and her right knee locked for her to stand like that. It may just be that her right foot should be rotated less and in a similar orientation to her left foot, but I think it's more than that. Her right knee looks higher than her left knee. I suppose in theory she could have an abnormally short right leg, thus requiring a built-up heel on that side's shoe, though I'm sure I don't need to tell you what a crock high heels are in general.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:I guess 'cause I rarely do them, and when drawn right they can be quite attractive (yes I know, I'm a bad male pig).

"Just trying it on," so to speak.

the pretty girls aren't usually the ones making a big deal out of that, so i wouldn't worry. Besides, there's nothing wrong with drawing anything that you like.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Heh, actually, it's cute on her and all. I just don't see the attractive-ness of it. ;)

As B_G said, draw what you want man. :D

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

kyle1992 wrote:that is really good. The third picture is the best i do say. Would love to see any other ones you can make. What I was thinking (color wise for the second picture) is to have dark-brown hair, pink uniform, black shoes and belt, the roses (obviously) red, and the eyes maybe blue?
All in all this is good.
You really thought this out didn’t you
but if you were to color her in I would like to see her with RED hair JADE green eyes have her uniform be Black with blue trim and White boots :P

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thanks, I'll start working on these ideas and start working on another sketch and see if I can make it work. (it takes me several times sometimes, and I'm slow like that >>)
-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

-Nobi

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Re: New Character for a new site *now colored*

Post by lutomboy »

i think she looks great :D
good job :D

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

That's some damn good artwork! Great job!
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thank you. ^_^
-Nobi