Speedpaint: 2 hours "Goodbye Hiro. I will always love you..."

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Speedpaint: 2 hours "Goodbye Hiro. I will always love you..."

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Speedpaint: 2 hours "Goodbye Hiro. I will always love you..."

Post by Alunissage »

Nobi, I couldn't see the image without right-clicking and viewing image. In case that's a board problem rather than a me problem, I edited the link in. Feel free to remove if you don't want it there.

Regarding the picture, I like it! Looks like a good exercise for lighting and shadows. On that point, though, I honestly am not sure whose shadow is to the left of Hiro. I don't see any light behind him, but I'm not sure there's light that would cast a Lucia shadow, from the way her clothes are lit. Also, if the light is so white on Hiro's shoes and sleeve cuffs, I'd expect a bit more starkness on his face and hands. Lastly, I really wanted to zoom in to look at his face, because at the size I'm seeing it on my laptop his features are just kinda weird, but I couldn't zoom in enough to figure out what was going on with his eyes and mouth.

It's good to see your work again. Thanks for posting it!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87344145

You might be able to see the faces here better, Alun. Sorry for the trouble. orz

Sadly if there's anything I've come to accept about myself in recent years it's that without reference there's going to be a litany of mistakes. Esp. with regards to lighting. That's not to dismiss your criticism, quite the opposite, it's 100% correct. I just wish I were a better artist enough to indicate that the light was, in my head at least, coming from behind Lucia. But yes, speedpaint or not, it doesn't change that as you say, the lighting is very much not correct on her. :/

As far as his facial features are concerned, they're not good because I was experimenting with painting an image without actually *drawing* it first as it were. In my head I call it a two layer challenge in that there's only a BG layer and a character layer, no line art. But yeah as such I also am in agreement that his face is definitely off.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, good for you for trying new techniques! (Sorry if that sounds patronizing, coming from someone who doesn't really draw/paint herself. I don't mean it that way; I'm trying a different knitting technique and results are less than perfect, shall we say.) Even your practice pieces are well worth sharing.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thanks Alun.

Have some Lucia sketches for funzies.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es5vXcTVcAsGp1o.jpg

-Nobi

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Fantastic speed paint art! Well done (^.^)
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thank ye! :D
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Fantastic! Especially the Lucia sketches you've done. The painting at the top though... it brings me back to having played EBC for the first time and being all "wait, what?! She can't leave!" The feels.... then the joy of playing a little more and getting to reunite with her. I really need to play this again.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

phyco126 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:32 am Fantastic! Especially the Lucia sketches you've done. The painting at the top though... it brings me back to having played EBC for the first time and being all "wait, what?! She can't leave!" The feels.... then the joy of playing a little more and getting to reunite with her. I really need to play this again.
When I played this on Sega CD back in the day I had no idea there WAS an epilogue! I was so sad for nearly a week before booting it up and learning there was an epilogue at all.
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh man, that must have been torture! I think I 'cheated' as it were by following the official strategy guide so I had forewarning at least.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

phyco126 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:23 am Oh man, that must have been torture! I think I 'cheated' as it were by following the official strategy guide so I had forewarning at least.
Nah that isn't cheating no worries. ^^ But yeah I was sad and despondent for a week. DX. I only booted it back up when a friend suggested that maybe there was more than one ending (he was like "Some games offer a different ending depending on your actions,") and that's when I saw that Yellow text that said "Epilogue" and I got back to playing lol.
-Nobi