Which is better lunar or breath in fire?

For any and all webpolls.

Which is much Better?

Lunar
100%
Breath in fire
No votes

Total votes: 22

Sakkkim
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Which is better lunar or breath in fire?

Post by Sakkkim »

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I don't mean for this to come across wrong... but why on earth would you ask such a question? I mean, here of all places :p I think the majority might just be a little biased ;)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Not to mention, why did you post this in the Lunar 3 board?

Moved to polls. And that's assuming Kiz doesn't have his way with it in the end.
-G1

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

Depends on which Lunar and BoF you're talking about. If you take the best of each series, I'd have to say BoF. *Braces oneself for a stoning from Lunar fanatics* If you're talking about which series is better as a whole, I'd have to say it's about even.

First things first, I'm more of a Lunar fan than Bof. Also, my opinion on the subject is that Lunar 2(EB/EBC) and BoF3 are the best each respective RPG series has to offer. Here is why I think BoF3 is better:

DRAGON GENE SYSTEM:
The dragon system is hands down one of the best features about BoF. This feature adds uniqueness to the main character as he is the only one able to use the system. Customization is awesome. One can use combinations of 2 or 3 genes, or just use 1.

REPLAYABILITY:
You can replay BoF3 in so many different ways. Lowest lvl challenge, no equipment, solo, no ascension, speed-run, no abilities, no stealing, combinations thereof, etc. You can do Lunar challenges too, but it's not as versatile. Also, there are many secrets and side quest that can be completed. EB has the epilogue and bromides, but Bof3 has so much more. There's the Fairy Village that you create and manage. It's a bit of micromanagement for those who are into that kind of thing. Don't forget about the Fishing Game. Shoot, the ability to steal alone adds a whole new dimension to the game. You can even steal abilities. Also worth noting are the Masters in the game. Each master will give you different stats and abilities. There's just so much to do!

CUSTOMIZATION:
Since the Masters will give you different stats and abilities, you can make some strange characters. Let's say you want your mages to be powerful warriors, or vice versa. Since abilities can be obtained and traded, your characters can be custom tailored to your liking.

Lunar2 and Bof3 are different kinds of RPGs. It's unfair to compare the two, but I personally like Lunar2 better. Although the storylines are both great and epic, Lunar has better character development (story wise). I feel a better connection to the characters in the Lunar universe. But don't get the wrong idea, Bof3 has an awesome story and great characters!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've only played Breath of Fire 1 and 2, with a small amount of 3, so I'm probably not able to give a fair representation, but based on those two, Lunar hands down. I thought BoF1 was horribly boring. 2 was quite a bit better, but still not comparable to Lunar 1 or 2. Throwing Magic School and Dragon Song in, Lunar takes a dip, especially with DS, but I still think the splendor of Lunar 1 and 2 beat the series out. But then, I've never cared much for the BoF series, so it's obvious which I'd choose.
-G1

Mei Ling
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mei Ling »

Oh Hel, I never played BoF before. So I'll be going for Lunar 2.
Lucia siggy~

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Breath of Fire 1 was an old, ancient game...the peer of Final Fantasy IV and the like. You can't blame it, really...for the era it came out in, it was quite good. It's just OLD. Much of the stuff that made Lunar Great hadn't been invented yet in 1991.

However, there's no excuse for Breath of Fire:Dragon Quarter, which came out well after Lunar.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Not to mention, why did you post this in the Lunar 3 board?

Moved to polls. And that's assuming Kiz doesn't have his way with it in the end.

I'm not that mean!
...well, maybe I am.
But not in this situation.

This is fine so long as it stays in the polls section. Though, the most fair comparison would be between the original and remakes of Lunar 1 and Lunar 2, and anything after Breath of Fire 2. BoF1 and BoF2 I found very repetitive and mundane, and while they were fine in their own rights (2 more so than 1), I didn't find them near as engrossing as even, say, Lunar Magic School. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Breath of Fire 1 was an old, ancient game...the peer of Final Fantasy IV and the like. You can't blame it, really...for the era it came out in, it was quite good. It's just OLD. Much of the stuff that made Lunar Great hadn't been invented yet in 1991.

I was going to disagree, but then I went and looked up dates on GameFAQs only to find out Breath of Fire came out a lot earlier in Japan than the US. The only RPGs (or action RPGs) up to "excellent" standards at the time would have been Lunar TSS, Zelda 3, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV and Illusion of Gaia (which admittedly, I liked more than most folks did). Lufia could be considered in there, but even then, most folks liked the Lufia series because of Lufia 2, not 1.

But looking at dates, and seeing when Lunar TSS actually was released in Japan, I can't say there was an RPG out at it's release that equalled it. For any system. I'm sure there were some import RPGs that some might argue towards, but in terms of my own knowledge, Lunar TSS was very ahead of it's time when you compare the technology, storytelling and presentation of the game. Anime cutscenes, in game music played directly from CD-quality tracks, a very compelling (albiet cliched - so much so that I'd say it's the perfect classic boy saves girl story), an amazing soundtrack. It really did have it all for the time it was released. TSS came out an entire 2 years before FFVI (which is IMO, leaps and bounds over all the previous FFs in terms of quality of presentation) and immersive storytelling wasn't a very common thing to RPGs prior to that time.
-G1

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I liked BoF 3, I really did. And yes, customization was awesome.

But no game in the BOF franchise has EVER inspired an emotional reaction in me. When Lucia leaves Hiro at the end of the game, I was overwhelmed! The fact that Lunar: EB was able to illicit a compelling emotional response and do it over and over and over...

Zophar nuking the Destiny and Lucia protecting it.
When she got captured... etc...

BOF just doesn't come CLOSE to compelling story like that. EB gave me this feeling of NEEDING to go there. In BOF I was going because the game told me to.

EB > BOF3
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

I didn't think the story was better or more compelling in EB than Bof3. The story-telling may have been better executed in EB, but Bof3 holds its own. And the story is not what makes or breaks an rpg. A game with a magnificent storyline with horrible gameplay is not going to be any better than a rpg with a horrible storyline and solid gameplay.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Depends on what you play for. I can play a game with wonderful story and crappy gameplay more than a game with a crappy story and wonderful gameplay. For example, I hated Grandia Xtreme, even though it had a wonderful battle engine. On the flipside, I kept going in Suikoden III, which arguably had a bad battle system and a number of bad gameplay problems, but an overall really good story. But then, I value story more than gameplay.

But in terms of story and presentation of story, nothing beats EB to me.
-G1

lucia24
Student of Vane

Post by lucia24 »

lunar is the best :D

"Even if a day should go by when I don't say I love you,
May never a moment go by without you knowing I do."

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

I didn't really get into BoF. Sure the storyline was okay, but I still like Lunar better. That's just my opinion.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon