Go

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kale
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Go

Post by Kale »

Does anyone here play Go? I'm thinking about learning to play it and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think about it.
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere

SilverOcean
Lyton Singer

Post by SilverOcean »

Go? I haven't played that in years.....I alway found it about as exciting as Checkers, which wasn't very much....

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

Hey! I like checkers! ;;
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Prefer chess, myself.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm better at checkers than I am at chess, mostly because no one taught me how to play chess, so I only learned on my own. Though, I never heard of Go, fill me in peeps.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think I played Go a looong time ago once or twice. My understanding is that at high levels it is fully as strategic as chess, but I don't have the knowledge to make that comparison. I was always more interested in chess myself, but haven't played in years and wasn't that intensely into it anyway. Only one person in my family plays, and we're always busier playing word games when we play anything, so pretty much no practice and thus no opportunity to improve.

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

Ah. Basically go is kinda like chess, but instead of attacking, your building up. if you can, try it on yahoo

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Never heard of it. I thought maybe you were talking about Grandia Online or something. :P
-G1

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

nope. lol.

teh_shirt_ninja
Burg Farmer

Post by teh_shirt_ninja »

Go is somewhat like checkers though instead of mainly collecting your opponents pieces, youre also trying to gain territory, which is something that the yahoo and other online games doesnt really teach you. To collect an opponents piece you have to surround them from all four directions and you can surround multiple pieces.

heres a link if you want some more info on it.

Anordin
Pao Hunter

Post by Anordin »

Go is really, really, really, really, really easy to learn. However it is really, really, really, really, really hard unless you know what you're doing. I've been playing the game for maybe a total of about six months, though I've been studying the game for about two years. It's hard to get better at if you've got no one to play against (my biggest problem). But thanks to the net, there's two options open for you:

1.Try playing real-time matches on the various online servers, like IGS, and get your butt kicked because the players are so fast. Too fast.

OR

2. Go to http://www.dragongoserver.net and play Go over, at most, a three month span, making a move once a day at least. I just found this and I'm actually enjoying this format.

There's plenty of sites that can teach you the basics and beyond. http://senseis.xmp.net/ is a good one.

Can anyone tell I really love the game? And I mean really LOVE the game. It's really a great game, even if I stink at it.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Is this Go as in "Hikaru no Go"? There was an anime about some kind of game if memory serves... I may have the title wrong though.