Skies of Arcadia 2?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Skies of Arcadia 2?

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://newrpg.sega.jp/

Seems to have eluded everyone here, so I figured I'd post it. Sega has some mystery RPG they're announcing in a couple of weeks, and that's definitely a ship wheel turning in the corner. The silhoutte character art randomly changes if you refresh enough times too. Many are speculating Skies 2. Or something Skies. I can only hope.
-G1

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Skies of Arcadia 2?

Post by Monde Luna »

That is the biggest teaser I think I have ever seen! Thanks for posting, now I'm curious.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... since it's called Newrpg that seems like it's going to be a continuation of one of their previous RPG series. What else could it be?

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

GhaleonOne wrote:http://newrpg.sega.jp/

Seems to have eluded everyone here, so I figured I'd post it. Sega has some mystery RPG they're announcing in a couple of weeks, and that's definitely a ship wheel turning in the corner. The silhoutte character art randomly changes if you refresh enough times too. Many are speculating Skies 2. Or something Skies. I can only hope.
They did this a while back and it was a new DS game. The wheel definitely looks like Skies of Arcadia, but let's be honest, do we really want to see a sequel from Sega now?

Considering how great the new Golden Axe, Nights, recent Sonic games have been if this game is slightly better than an abomination it would surprise me.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

There is one great game Sega made recently. Valkyria Chronicles, and its even by the same team as Skies of Arcadia. They are working on VC2 atm.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Sonix wrote:There is one great game Sega made recently. Valkyria Chronicles, and its even by the same team as Skies of Arcadia. They are working on VC2 atm.
That team is also doing Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP. And apparently this? I don't have much trust in Sega reviving old franchises, it's worked out horribly in recent years. I believe Overworks has also seen a bit of turnover in recent years, as have a lot of internal Sega development teams. There's been a big defection, especially since the Sammy merger of employees, particularly to Namco, and SquareEnixTaito.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Why do people repeatedly hope that a new game or sequel will not be made? They're rather jaded to automatically assume that a company is going to screw up the next game. The odds may be higher that it would be bad, but I'd rather see a mediocre sequel to a game series and world that I love, than no new game at all. Better to try and fail than never try at all. That goes for Lunar, Musashi, Sonic, and any other series that has had a flop along the way.

So I'm excited, whether it turns out to be Skies of Arcadia or not. Even if it just has air ships and is better than Rogue Galaxy, I'll be happy. ^_~
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

It's Phantasy Star Portable 2 I'm guessing.
-Nobi

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Sonic# wrote:Why do people repeatedly hope that a new game or sequel will not be made? They're rather jaded to automatically assume that a company is going to screw up the next game.
In this case, because it's Sega, their recent track record is new games in old series are traditionally absolute garbage.

If this was a company with a better reputation for reviving old franchises (see Nintendo and their recent revivals of say Punch Out) then I think people might think differently.
The odds may be higher that it would be bad, but I'd rather see a mediocre sequel to a game series and world that I love, than no new game at all. Better to try and fail than never try at all. That goes for Lunar, Musashi, Sonic, and any other series that has had a flop along the way.
I disagree. Lunar Dragon Song I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather not have existed. Musashi I never liked to begin with. Sonic has been bad for so long it's stopped affecting me. I'd also much rather Nights on Wii didn't exist, it's terrible!

People who never played the original Lunar games won't know why they are good. It's kind of like people who have only played say the remakes, or even say Lunar Legend. It's hard to see why people like this game over Final Fantasy when you're playing inferior products.

The importance of Nights as a character, and a potential franchise is lost when it's revived after a dozen years in a bad game. That's why I'd rather not see these games exist. If you're going to follow up on a great game or franchise do it well, or make a different game entirely.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:It's Phantasy Star Portable 2 I'm guessing.
Well, I've been vindicated.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/18/se ... k-spoiled/
-Nobi

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

What a drag, I would have preferred a skies 2.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Was hoping for Skies of Arcadia 2 as well... but those little lasers they had running across the site really made me think Phantasy Star from the get-go.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:
Nobiyuki77 wrote:It's Phantasy Star Portable 2 I'm guessing.
Well, I've been vindicated.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/18/se ... k-spoiled/
This isn't bad, but I'm still irrationally hoping that they did that intentionally so Skies of Arcadia 2 would still be a surprise. Like two images with identical outlines.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Boooo, I wanted Skies 2. :(

Though, actually, I haven't looked through that article, but is this basically a ramped up portable version of Phantasy Star 2? I've yet to played any of the Phantasy Stars (I know, sacrilege!).
-G1

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I'd much rather prefer Skies 2.

Unless it was Phantasy Star V, then I'd gladly(is that a word?) accept it.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

GhaleonOne wrote:Boooo, I wanted Skies 2. :(

Though, actually, I haven't looked through that article, but is this basically a ramped up portable version of Phantasy Star 2? I've yet to played any of the Phantasy Stars (I know, sacrilege!).
Nah, that'd be Phantasy Star 2 Portable rather than Phantasy Star Portable 2. The first Phantasy Star Portable was more or less an extension of Phantasy Star Universe created for the PSP. Phantasy Star Portable 2 is a continuation of that line rather than a return to old Phantasy Stars.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

thepeaguy
Burg Farmer

Post by thepeaguy »

Sonix wrote:I'd much rather prefer Skies 2.
Who knows. It will be hard to continue the storyline after Skies 1 was done.
Unless it was Phantasy Star V, then I'd gladly(is that a word?) accept it.
The storyline is ended after the Profound Darkness, the complete being of Dark Force, was killed for good in PSIV. (PSIII should be long forgotten imo.)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I have never played any of the Genesis era Phantasy Star games, so if they were remade with next gen graphics I bet they'd be good sellers. I think one of my Sega Collections has all 4 of the Phantasy Star games on it, but the only one I'd even try is IV. I don't think I'd make it very far without a guide though.

If we don't get a sequel to Skies of Arcadia then at least remake it with even better visuals. That game was a Dreamcast beauty and had so many things going for it. Random battles sucked but that could be fixed.

"Behold..... PIRATES WRATH!"