Mario Kart DS

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Mario Kart DS

Post by GhaleonOne »

I haven't gotten this myself yet, but I'd like to soon, and I'm gathered a lot of folks are already playing online. If so, anyone interested in perhaps setting up a LunarNET tournament when everyone gets their hands on it? ^_^
-G1

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

I'm down! I already got my copy
Vaporized before my eyes

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

sounds sweet to me, i got my copy today

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

I'll get it Monday I suppose...to play in line for Xbox 360! :D :D :D

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I plan on getting it... but it probably won't be until Christmas ^^; I'll post if I get it sooner though :) I definitely be interested in a tourny! :D

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I just got it.

How does this WFC thing work? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

How does this WFC thing work? KF

I just tried connecting and it worked. It was real easy.

Also, has anyone figured out how to find out what your "friend code" is. We should exchange said codes here.
Vaporized before my eyes

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

To find your friend code, just go to "Nintendo WI-FI" on the main screen, then select "Friend Code" and select the option OTHER THAN the "Register Code" (forget what it's called). It'll show you your friend code.

I've played it online quite a bit, and it's really fun. Deffinately worth the $110 router I bought + the game cost + the DS cost :shock::D

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Greensky wrote:I've played it online quite a bit, and it's really fun. Deffinately worth the $110 router I bought + the game cost + the DS cost :shock::D

Wait, so you need a router too? Crap... I thought I could just buy the game and then I could play against friends :\

Anyhow, MK made me really angry the other night. The computer's AI is sometimes just stupid good. It almost NEVER fails that on 100cc retro tracks (or any really in 100cc) that I'll get hit by a blue shell and/or a red shell at end of lap 3 and will get 2nd or 3rd place. It's ridiculous! And as far as I know there's nothing I can do about the blue shell. I try to make sure I have a bananna or something to drag to deal with the red shell. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, how do you boost? I've tried revving the engine at "1, 2, 3, go!" I've tried just hitting the gas on "Go!" ... what am I doin' wrong? Also, does the timing change on retro tracks? I remember N64 you had to rev with the "1,2,3" and then in GC it was on the "Go!".

~frustration~ Dx

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Greensky wrote:
I've played it online quite a bit, and it's really fun. Deffinately worth the $110 router I bought + the game cost + the DS cost :shock::D

110.00 for a router? I frequently see routers 20.00-40.00$ US sometimes with rebates attached.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

So do you need a special router? Or can you somehow use the one you use for your computer? I'm at work so I can't look in the instruction manual... man, I really didn't know you needed a router to play friends... I thought that the Wi-fi was something already integrated that did it already...

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

PrettyGirlJean wrote:So do you need a special router? Or can you somehow use the one you use for your computer? I'm at work so I can't look in the instruction manual... man, I really didn't know you needed a router to play friends... I thought that the Wi-fi was something already integrated that did it already...

Most 802.11B routers are capable of working with the DS, some non-standard ones are known to have problems. NintendoWifi.com has a list of tested routers and how well they work.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I was under the impression that you could go to certain public places where they'd have a Nintendo router set up, McDonalds and Starbucks among them. Once I get Mario Kart DS, I'll be heading down there a lot.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

There is the built-in wireless you can use in person. If you and a friend are physically in a room next to each other (or a room near each other) you can play together. You don't need a router. My coworkers and I played a few rounds of mad eight-player Mario Kart that way. Under good conditions we could even play across the street from each other (granted all parties were also outside at the time). You only need a router if you want to play someone say down the block or in another city, and if you don't want to buy one McDonald's has some hotspots set up for the DS. I didn't know Starbucks had them too, but I wouldn't be surprised.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Any place with an open 802.11B (or most 802.11G networks) Wifi network should work fine for playing Mario Kart online.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Okay, I got the game myself, and will post up my friend code in a few days once I get online. Just curious who actually has the game and can play online. I was thinking about having a big LunarNET double elimination tournament. Maybe come up with a small Lunar prize for the winner or something.
-G1

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

I can play online, but only on the weekends (no joke)
Vaporized before my eyes

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I can play online, but I'd literally waste you Ghaleon~! So may not be fair... but we can try it if you want. /smack talk

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

lol, dude, we'll have to have it out. I'm beating all of the offline stuff first before going online. I'm in the mirror mode already, so shouldn't be too long. I'll throw my friend code up when I'm ready to play online. We can set up some times or something.
-G1