Possibly interesting tech that could end up being stupid

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Possibly interesting tech that could end up being stupid

Post by Roas Atrades »

K, so, as I said in another thread, I was reading through my GameInformer for the month.

So, there was a small article about a couple new techs Sony may impliment on the PS3. The first one could be very cool, but the second is possibly gignormously stupid.

First: PS3's could possibly render regional encoding useless. It seems they are considering not encoding any of the PS3 games, which means let the imports fly :) This could be very interesting.

Second: Sony has taken out a patent on a tech that would make it so that a PS3 game can only be played on the first system it is used on. Basically, it involves some sort of one time authentication code on the disc with the system.

Now the first is cool, but could they really be stupid enough to do the second tech to the gaming industry? This would kill the Used Game market as well as the Rental Market for their console. If they actually went through with this, it would be, IMO, a monumental disastor.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Wow, I completely agree on that second aspect. What I'd like to know is what happened for them to think that's actually a good idea! And what happens if something happens to your console once you've played a game on it? If I'm understanding correctly that means your game is then useless since it's already been played on the broken console right? Complete rubbish I say and I hope it's just something that's being speculated about but not taken seriously. I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this possibility.

As for the import option that is of course wonderful! Not having to worry about some kind of converter or mod or something would be a load off my mind ^^

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Both of those have been debunked. For the first, just because a console will allow games to be region-free doesn't mean they will be. Game publishers will all still have region encoding on their games. For the second, that story spread so much Sony had to actually come out and say they had no intention of doing that.
-Rich-

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Man sony and EA should merge so people can hate one big company insted of hating two lol. Anyway if sony used tech 2 i bet you would see xbox 360 sales sky rocket

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'd take Sony over EA in a heartbeat. :P Sony has some hardware issues and questionable approval policies, but EA has practically monoplized any entire genre of games and destroyed any competition due to their liscensing.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:I'd take Sony over EA in a heartbeat. :P Sony has some hardware issues and questionable approval policies, but EA has practically monoplized any entire genre of games and destroyed any competition due to their liscensing.

I used to defend EA, but since I broke my crack habit of buying a new Live game every year, I no longer feel the need to. The mere fact they took everything over has led to a decline in the quality of their games. They barely make any noticable changes anymore, and the AI's are still way to easy to dominate.

EA would do well to be challenged by some of the resurfacing companies making sports games again.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, even though they have all these liscenses and barely change anything, I'm glad that my sport at least gets some decent upgrades. FIFA has to be upgraded more than just graphically, because Konami's Winning Eleven series has been nipping at the heels of EA for a few years now, even without the FIFA liscense. The other series I'll still play from EA is the SSX series. There's been enough new material in those games to make it worthwhile, though I still haven't picked up the new On Tour game. But then, the same crews that are responsible for SSX aren't the same as the ones doing Madden and the like.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, even though they have all these liscenses and barely change anything, I'm glad that my sport at least gets some decent upgrades. FIFA has to be upgraded more than just graphically, because Konami's Winning Eleven series has been nipping at the heels of EA for a few years now, even without the FIFA liscense. The other series I'll still play from EA is the SSX series. There's been enough new material in those games to make it worthwhile, though I still haven't picked up the new On Tour game. But then, the same crews that are responsible for SSX aren't the same as the ones doing Madden and the like.

My drug of choice was usually NBA Live. After 98 I became something of a natural at it and purchased the game every year up until 2004. I stopped for several reasons:

1- I was and am still in a point where I really don't have anyone to play it with, and playing it online with faceless opponents is no fun.

2- GM mode is fun and all, but actually playing the games is way too easy, even on the hardest modes. I can do the 82 + Playoffs Season no problem. Hell, I loved doing it. It was just the AI was too easy to dominate. I end up winning games by 30-40 points. The only true challenge was seeing if I could double up on my opponents.

3- I just got tired of dumping $50 into a new game every year, and finding out that the controls were either the same, or had been refined with unnecessary additions.

So, I think I'm done playing sports games on consoles for a long time. Playing the real thing is more fun anyways :D

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Yeah I hate EA awhole lot more then sony, I just said that cus I thought it would be funny. Sony is getting just as arragent as EA thou, and I am kinda tried hearing how all their new technologies are soo great, even thou the "gimmicky" DS outsales the PSP all the damn time, not to mention how the GBA outsales both newer portable systems and is almost like 6 years old. So I think Sony really needs to stop shitting on everyone else, and actually do something with the psp so its worth buying.

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

I'm pretty sure Sony has gone on the record saying they will NOT bind game copies to a single system. I read it on BoinBoing, slashdot, or one of the major game media sites...

::searches::

OK, found it:

http://www.playfuls.com/news_3827.html