FF IV Advance

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

FF IV Advance

Post by Roas Atrades »

So I picked this up yesterday while getting something else in Best Buy...and I have to say I am in nostaligia heaven :D

Now, some of you might say "why not just go with the SNES Rom?"

First of all, this new translation is much better than the old SNES version. The text feels less awkward at key moments. They've adjusted the experience system a little bit. I feel like I'm getting more at certain points. Most of the graphics are of couse the same as the SNES, but the character portraits are much nicer and detailed than the older version, and to me that adds to the enjoyment. And there is now the active battle command added to it, so that you don't feel like your easing your way through the game :)

Then there are the new addtions, which I have not gotten to yet. There is the new 50 lvl deep dungeon (shudders with anticipation), and now you can switch your characters later in the game, so you are not stuck with the final party of Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Rydia, and Edge. Now you can sub in the entire cast! Instead of Edge...you can bring back Yang!

And apparently different pty combinations at certain points in the game will open up new scenes in the story :D

Overall, I am enjoying this very much. It's like I'm twelve again. After all, it was this game that made the power lvling madman I am today.

So if you liked FF II on the SNES, you will feel right at home with FF IV Advance on your GBA.

It's fun being a kid again
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

What??? It's out???

::checks wallet:: ::puts on coat::

I'll be right back. :D
「まあいいけど。」

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Ah, good old FFIV. I remember it well.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I've been counting the days for this release and am very glad it's here. :D Japan even got a pack-in version with the GBA Micro. It came with a FFIV faceplate, which should be available here too. Too bad we don't get the pack-in.

FFV and FFVI are also supposed to be ported, and I'm pumped about those too. The only thing that bothers me is the pixelly pfwoooo-woooooot random battle transition that was replaced, but it's the same fun game, and even more beautiful.

It also makes me appreciate the graphics in Dawn of Sould more. Seeing the graphical improvements in a 16-bit to 32-bit remake is a lot different than going from 8-bit to 32. And just think soon we'll even get an official English FFIII for DS. Life is good! I just wish there was more freetime. :wink:

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Final Fantasy IV was always my favorite game in the series. I'd pick up a copy, but I have reason to believe my brother might get me one for Christmas.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

i hav the jp rom. I must say i have no idea what they say but it's cool anyway8)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Just a few observations of FF4A I wanted to share:

1) I seem to detect (though I could be mistaken, since it's been a while since I played any of the previous releases of this game) many slight changes to the plot overall - an extra line of dialogue here or there to fill things out. It's really cool.

2) I'm obsessed with the bestiary. I don't think I'll get anything special for completing it, but oddly it is fulfiling in and of itself.

3) When you read the features list on the back of the game box, it touts a new 50 level randomly generated dungeon. Personally, I cringe when I read things like this. However, when I gained access to this dungeon I was pleasantly suprised. It's a blast! You never know what you're going to find.
「まあいいけど。」

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Easing? I always thought IV was one of the harder ones. A boss every now and then. I love the early games. Better translation... so no spoony bard?

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I remember something about how there was an easy version and a hard version. I think the Snes one we got was the easier one actually.

Better translation... so no spoony bard?

...best line in the game. I love when Tellah gets mad, but I don't remember if they included it.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

localflick wrote:
Better translation... so no spoony bard?

...best line in the game. I love when Tellah gets mad, but I don't remember if they included it.

They kept the line.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

The "spoony bard" line has been included in every English version of Final Fantasy 4. Funny as it is, it is acually a correct usage of 'spoony', which means "enamored in a silly or sentimental way". That fits Edward/Gilbert perfectly, and sums up how Tellah regards him. I was really pleased to see the line return in Final Fantasy Chronicles on PS1, and this time around I was sort of expecting it. :D Given that the line has to fit in a little combat message window, there may be not be a better translation than "You spoony bard!"

While the original US release of Final Fantasy 4 (as FF2) was simplified in a similar way to the Japanese FF4 Easy Type, it was not based on Easy Type. (One of the most striking differences between Easy Type and FF4J/FF2E was a totally different final boss sprite.) We got a stripped down version of the orginal Japanese release.

Incedentally, the version of Final Fantasy 4 that the US got in Final Fantasy Chronicles was not fully faithful to the original, since it incorperated a few revisions from Easy Type.
「まあいいけど。」

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Did they make the Pink Tail any easier to find?

I don't fancy wasting hours of my life, and that's WITH 500 alerts on hand...

At least the Red Wings Theme plays in that part of the Lunar Core....
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Incedentally, the version of Final Fantasy 4 that the US got in Final Fantasy Chronicles was not fully faithful to the original, since it incorperated a few revisions from Easy Type.

That's funny, because if I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure I'm not), the PS1 FFIV was indeed the FFIV hard-type.
Vaporized before my eyes

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Ah yes, Final Fantasy IV. That game is a classic. I plan to get the GBA version one of these days.

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Post by red9_merchant »

Got this for Christmas, actually. Final Fantasy IV is my second favorite Final Fantasy, and the GBA version made it worth playing through again (since I already went through the PS1 and WSC versions.). But, am I the only one who gets creeped out by the sound that plays when you're using the Devil's Road on the GBA version?

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Been wondering if this game is worth getting but now I think I'll spend the 25 dollars and get it. Always was a fan of FF3 so here i come FF4