Lufia

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
red9_merchant
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lufia

Post by red9_merchant »

Does anyone remember this game? I just bought it on ebay, because it was part of my childhood gaming memories. I really liked it, and I found it a lot of fun, and I probably still do, because I'm a bit of a sap. :/ A lot of people I knew hated it or just didn't care for it. I had been on my list of SNES games to get for years along with Breath of Fire I and II and Earthbound. I just liked it a lot and wondered if anyone else remembered it.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I didn't really like Lufia all that much, but Lufia II is really good.

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Post by red9_merchant »

I liked both. II more that the first. I haven't really played the GBC and GBA ones, but I heard they weren't spectacular.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I liked II more than the first also, but I originally hated Lufia I. My save mysteriously disappeared halfway through my first playthrough. A year later, I went back and beat it, and found that the second half of the game really picked up. It just had a pretty slow start. Never cared for the GBC or GBA ones.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I got really into Rise of the Sinistrals... my copy is all glitchy though... like the weapon and items names will be misspelled and have symbols for letters... it even changed the name of my main character. I was gonna name him "Da Funk" (I don't remember why ^^; ) and the game changed it to "FDank". Lol! My game is possessed!!! xD

But back to the topic, I like the Lufia series, it's got a pretty cool story and I enjoy the gameplay overall. ^_^b

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

To elaborate a bit (something I admittedly should have done when I first posted):

It's not that I disliked Lufia so much as I just found it rather bland and unoriginal. It didn't really seem to have anything to set it apart from other RPGs (I should also note that I did not play the game until several years after it was released, so I was comparing it both to games that were out at the same time and to later games). The battle system in particular struck me as some sort of attempt to combine the systems of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and, irritatingly enough, it seemed (at least to me) to combine some of the lesser aspects of those two systems. The story didn't really grab me either.

On the other hand, the puzzle aspect that was present in Lufia II really added a lot to the dungeons. The battle system, while still by no means great, was "cleaned up" to a great regard and now worked as a nicely streamlined, if simple, system with a few reasonably interesting features (e.g. the flexibility in magic targeting). I also found the story to be among the better ones available, particularily in regards to its treatment of the characters.

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Post by red9_merchant »

I did hate, though, that in Lufia I, if you had everyone set to attack one target in group and it died, everyone would essentialy attack air if someone killed it at the start. That was a bad explination, but I tried.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

I love the Lufia games for the SNES! I can't really say I liked one or the other better. I will say that I loved Tia as a character!
I also remember that the game glitched on me and made Tia unstoppable, it made all her stats 999. So when I encountered... oh crap I forgot his name!!... the first Sinistral in the tower, I killed him, and the game actually had text for it. It was uber sweet! He killed everyone in the party, but he couldn't inflict any damage on Tia. WORD!

Another reason I like the series so much, is that Sinistral means left-handed. So I'm a Super-Sexy-Sinistral Bard!!

WHOOT!!!
ImageImageImage

SinReVi
Saith Pirate

Post by SinReVi »

I love Lufia!

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

Lufia 1 was alright to me. I pretty much just pushed my through to get the story. I thought it had a good beginning with the Fortress of Doom sequence.

As others here, I really enjoyed Lufia 2. It felt a lot more polished, and as mentioned, the puzzles added more depth to the gameplay. The music was pretty decent-to-good in both games, I felt. Something about Lufia 2 made me feel like it was a little rushed towards the end but it still ended well, in my opinion. It gave a lot of dignity to the original heroes we knew little about in the first game.

I haven't played either of the GBA games.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I had Lufia 2, never had Lufia 1. I liked Lufia 2, though. I hated that puzzle where you had to flame arrow the plants, though. Made me ponder suicide.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.