Arc the Laddy! (or finding lucky games)

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Arc the Laddy! (or finding lucky games)

Post by Sonic# »

Ah, I was looking to buy Grandia III, I really was. There are rare occasions when I can build myself up to spend so much on a game. This is one of them.

I looked in Gamestop, and then EB Games. It was for the same price (predictably). Okay...

I was about to buy it, when I noticed that there was something sitting atop the pile of Playstation games. An Arc the Lad Collection boxed set! I had never gotten it, but had wanted to. I asked the guy if everything was in the box. He proceeded to show me. Except for his claim that the manual was in mint condition (it was good, but not that good), it looked nice. And it was only $40!

So I got it. Plus, it'll be better for now, because my TV in my dorm is small. I'd rather wait until getting home to take advantage of anything graphically stunning.

And soon I'll play it. I'm really excited though, because this is the second best find I've ever found (behind finding Grandia II new for $20 in Wal-mart when it was priced for $40 elsewhere.) And a question, so I don't feel like I just talked for a while with no purpose. What's the luckiest game find you've ever had? Online, offline, maybe both.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

I don't know about a game find, but I got an Inkjet for about $6.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I didn't realize how lucky I was to find a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics when I did. It wasn't until later that I found out how rare it was (until it got a Greatest Hits re-release, that is). Likewise with finding the Lunar 2: EBC strategy guide when I did (there weren't very many copies made).

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hm, I'm pretty sure I have an extra Arc manual, but I couldn't find it just now. I think some of my game stuff still hasn't been unpacked properly from when I moved here a year and a half ago.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten some unexpected bargains, but I can't think well enough yet to remember what. Mostly it's stuff bought through eBay, which doesn't seem quite as interesting to tell stories of. I did get Rhapsody last night used at an EB, in really good condition and still including the soundtrack. I hadn't particularly planned to get it, but it was such a surprise to find a good-condition, complete PSX game among all the half-broken generic store jewelcases for games I don't care about that I couldn't resist.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

I found a used copy of the same game recently for 40$(CAN) as well. Other than that, finding a brand new, still shrink wrapped copy of Harvest Moon: Back to Nature several months ago. (For 30$, I believe) Then, the brand new copy of Ico that I bought for 10$.

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

I found Growlanser Generations, and Castlevania SOTN for $12 each recently. Awhile back, I got Valkyrie Profile for $40, but they're discs only. Not that great of a find, but it's not too bad for a top tier rpg.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

OH! I loved the Arc the Lad games, good times!

As for my luckiest finds... I can't really say, I usually go out with a purpose to my games. I read about what comes out and then buy it. Maybe Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast? I liked it.

I'd LIKE to find Dragon Force!! OH!! And that game where you have an undead warrior who fights with you, and it was Two-Player, and it was on the Saturn, I'd like to find that!

That Girl with her force fields was KICK-ARSE!
ImageImageImage

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I would have to say that my greatest game find above all is discovering Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete in 1999. I had never heard of it before, and if I had not bought it I would never have discovered Lunar. Also, several people such as Dragonlord911 would never have discovered it either. So many thanks are in order. By the way... Eldest is the best book ever! I have never found anything I can relate to other than Christopher Peolini's Inheritance Trilogy. 8)
Last edited by Aquaignis on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:I would have to say that my greatest game find above all is discovering Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete in 1998.

Wow, that is lucky. SSSC didn't come out in the US until 1999.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Alunissage wrote:...Rhapsody last night used at an EB, in really good condition and still including the soundtrack. I hadn't particularly planned to get it, but it was such a surprise to find a good-condition, complete PSX game among all the half-broken generic store jewelcases for games I don't care about that I couldn't resist.

I saw Rhapsody used too! It was under Arc the Lad. I remember it because I saw the pancake spell on the back of it. I never inquired on there being a soundtrack in it. Strange.

NextGenerationEldestFan wrote:Eldest is the best book ever! I have never found anything I can relate to other than Christopher Peolini's Inheritance Trilogy.

Aha. I respect your love for the books, but... the non-sequitor just threw me off.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

A few months back I found Arc the Lad Collection as well. I got it since I had wanted it back when it was $70, and it was only $40 now. I bought it and looked threw it out in the car and EVERYTHING was practically mint minus the box itself. The instruction book stuck like new, the character standees still in the plastic rapper, the game disks had no scratches on it...I was so happy. :P

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Heee! I got my copy of Arc used for $30! Best Deal I've ever found! Aside from that, my friend worked at a local video store. When they needed to make room for next gen games they put $10 price tags on unpopular Playstation games. Because he worked there, I went in with him and bought quite a few games for $10 that weren't marked with a sticker.
Because he said "awww c'mon, we should get rid of these old PS1 games" I got: Grandia, Tales of Destiny 2, Parasite Eve, and even a copy of Lunar SSS becuase I got the re-release and wanted the soundtrack and making of discs... all for $10 each! Oddly enough the same friend later worked at a Gamestop and got me the box, map, and hardcover Lunar SSS book to make it truely complete! He rocks. No doubt about it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Probably Snatcher and Phantasy Star IV both at a pawn shop for 4.95 each.

I narrowly missed being given a freebie of Lunar TSS from a friend who worked at a GameXchange. They didn't sell Sega CD games, and some guy wanted to sell a few. When they wouldn't buy them, he just "donated" Lunar TSS and Helmdall to the store for free. I was meeting my other friend there. Our friend who worked there gave him his choice of which he wanted to have for free. Obviously he took Lunar TSS. I got Helmdall. :P Not that I can complain about a free game, but man, I wish I had left the house quicker that day. If I recall, it was one of the most rare versions of the disc art.
-G1

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Rhapsody was reprinted fairly recently, along with at least one other Atlus PS1 game (I want to say that it was one of the Persona titles, but I'm not 100% sure on that).

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I found the original Super Famicom cart for Chrono Trigger for 600Yen (about $5.50). In the same store, I found the original Mega CD Lunar: TSS for 380Y (about $3.50).

I made up for it by buying Mega CD Lunar: EB for 5000Yen and Super Famicom Tales of Phantasia for 2400Yen later that same day. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Imperial Knight wrote:Rhapsody was reprinted fairly recently, along with at least one other Atlus PS1 game (I want to say that it was one of the Persona titles, but I'm not 100% sure on that).

Oh, I bought one of the Persona games for about 20$ CAN (about 13$ US at the time, perhaps?) but later returned it. (Not my style.) I suppose that could count as a good purchase, although I don't think of it since I didn't keep the game.