-Fatal Hopper- you Sony.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

-Fatal Hopper- you Sony.

Post by GhaleonOne »

Seriously. Hard.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775

It's not enough for gamers to have to pop 600 bucks for a system, and 60 bucks a game? (which, to Sony's credit, was Microsoft's idea, but they don't have to follow suit) Now they're going to charge you to play the full game? Outside of the normal 60 bucks the game would cost. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with Sony this generation? Did they not learn from Nintendo's mistakes in the 8 and 16 bit markets? Hell, these blow those out of the water. It's like Sony knows they dominated the last two generations and feel they can do whatever they want. And they still claim they're dominating the handheld market when Nintendo is outselling them like 4-5 to 1. worldwide.

You know, I just don't like Sony anymore. I used to. But they've just gotten to arrogant. I remember when people said they'd be horrible for the gaming industry back when they first released the Playstation, and I didn't buy it. Now I'm beginning to wonder...
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

This could be a good thing.

It means a good chance that Nintendo will be able to break back into the market. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, they never lost the market really. The GameCube was in third, sure (though it really didn't trail the Xbox by THAT much worldwide, just that the PS2 dominated hardcore), but their handheld market has kept them in quite good shape, even against Sony.

It just seems to me that Sony is dropping the ball hardcore this time around. it's one stupid move after another.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GBC and later the GBA = Pwnzorz. This time, it's the PSP that will be next on my list. Unfortunately, that'll likely be the last system I'll be getting in a long time. As much as I want to play Halo 3, I'm not going to spend the money on a system that will likely be replaced in 4 years.

A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

W.T.F?! $975 for a game? No way I would ever pay that. I can play many different online games for a year at that price. That's also what, 16, 17 games at $60 a pop? Or how about 49 games when you buy the "greatest hits" games?

Though micro buying game, well, it's new to me. I first heard about it from my best friend (For those who don't remember, he was my partner in crime in breaking the RPG system. ^^; ) when he bought Oblivion. In order to get any official plug-ins, you have to pay $2. Pissed him off, considering official plug-ins where free for Morrowind.

Also, this brings me to this blue-ray disc phenomenon is laughable. I can guarantee that the people who pay thousands of dollars for a HD-DVD (blue ray) systems will kick themselves in their ass when 5 years from now the same technology would be improved, runs better, and be in the few hundreds instead of a few thousand. I've seen it happen with Laser Discs, then DVDs, and now it's gonna happen with this.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Wow, rough.

It's definitely one way to provide more content. But it seems like a lot of the content they have already, but prefer to provide in a different format.

I like a game where I don't have to worry about only being able to buy a few cars and tracks... where they're all there already. I like my games complete, for even if I don't use all the functions... I like having the choice.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I think computer gaming will become much more popular...

Sony should just hire someone to take their head out of their @$$. Seriously, a game is a game...its for entertainment not a lifestyle. Hopefully this'll mean more and more children will go outside to play...maybe Sonly is trying to help the world by making videogames so expensive only the rich can afford it and thereby destroying the obesity problem in America. LOL j/k. But seriously. With prices like that videogames will no longer be a childhood toy. Although sony's market was never really child gamers, I dont see anyone my age going out to go buy a PS3 if it costs 600+ bucks and the games cost 1000 a piece. LOL

what a joke...whoever talked the CEO's into this one is so fired...LOL

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

So the video game industry just isn't quite the friendly, family-style industry it was when I was just a young'n.

-sigh-

THANKS FOR DESTROYING MY INNOCENCE, SONY!

I mean seriously, $1000 for a game that you'll probably only play for like a month? It borderlines exploitation.

Nintendo, it's time to kick ass, that's all I can say.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

well at least now they can claim they make an individual game specialized to each customer...

what a marketing gimmick

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

I don't think I've laughed more at Sony...cept for E3 when they copied the Wi-mote...but in the keynote last night, I laughed when they got worse, now they are offering Sega Genesis and TuroboGraphix games to download for a price. The Keynote was a bunch of nothing...at all, and this (GT HD story) is just another nail in Sony's Coffin...

Blue Sycro was right, Nintendo, prepare to become King once again, Sony shot themselves

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: -Fatal Hopper- you Sony.

Post by Werefrog »

GhaleonOne wrote:You know, I just don't like Sony anymore. I used to. But they've just gotten to arrogant. I remember when people said they'd be horrible for the gaming industry back when they first released the Playstation, and I didn't buy it. Now I'm beginning to wonder...

I hear you. They're making it so hard for small developers to make games for them. I can't remember the exact price... but it's about 20,000 dollars for a PS3 dev kit. How many small developers are going to afford that?

Another thing I learned about Sony that infuriates me is that they're holding on to the license of the FreQuency series. FreQuency and Amplitude are amazing music games that will never have a sequel because Sony doesn't think it would make a profit. Yet at the same time, they refuse to sell the rights back to Harmonix out of fear that it will go to Nintendo or Microsoft.

At the time, that was Harmonix's one big series. That could have destroyed them. I guess there is a happy ending in this story since Harmonix went on to create Guitar Hero which is perhaps the best-selling music game in America. But it's still no substitute for FreQuency...

Sorry for the rant, but it relates to Sony being bad for the industry. They're not very friendly to the small companies that make games that don't have amazing graphics.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

This is awesome. Sony is just becoming the company you can "love to hate".
Look at the astonishing level of innovation Nintendo is implementing. Gameplay is king and Nintendo has that in spades. I'm so excited for the Wii and so many of the DS games that i don't care about any other system.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I don't think I've laughed more at Sony...cept for E3 when they copied the Wi-mote...but in the keynote last night, I laughed when they got worse, now they are offering Sega Genesis and TuroboGraphix games to download for a price. The Keynote was a bunch of nothing...at all, and this (GT HD story) is just another nail in Sony's Coffin...

Which is so hilarious because in the keynote last night, didn't Ken say Sony was all about innovation? To add something like this 2 months before launch screams of Sony realizing they may not keep their massive dominance. Blue-Ray will be their gaming downfall. It may help it to overcome HD-DVD, but it's alienating the PS3 in the gaming department.

Which reminds me, didn't they spend half the keynote talking about what "will be possible" in the future, with stuff like search engines and mappable terrain and this other crap that noone gave a damn about? Who the hell cares? Last I understood, the Playstation was supposed to be a game system, and they seem to have forgotten this.

I can guarantee that the people who pay thousands of dollars for a HD-DVD (blue ray) systems

BTW, Phyco, HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are two different things. In fact, two things trying to compete to be the next "DVD". That's the one advantage Sony has in this, being the biggest Blue-Ray supporter. Even if the PS3 loses it's dominance, it still means everyone that does shell out for the system will mean a bigger Blue-Ray installed base. But I still think it's going to screw them over because of the price.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GhaleonOne wrote:
I can guarantee that the people who pay thousands of dollars for a HD-DVD (blue ray) systems

BTW, Phyco, HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are two different things. In fact, two things trying to compete to be the next "DVD". That's the one advantage Sony has in this, being the biggest Blue-Ray supporter. Even if the PS3 loses it's dominance, it still means everyone that does shell out for the system will mean a bigger Blue-Ray installed base. But I still think it's going to screw them over because of the price.

Actually, I more or less meant blue-ray systems themselves, not the playstation. I didn't realize that HD-DVD was a seperate system, whoops ^^; . Anyway, I just remember the same thing happening with Laser Discs when they first came out (I recall Jurassic Park being on 2 or 3 large record sized discs, lol,) then DVD players, and no Blue Ray seems like it's the next to follow the path of obsurd prices for the first several years, only to be $50 in ten years or so for a system that's twice as good as the ones now for $3,000.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

phyco126 wrote:Actually, I more or less meant blue-ray systems themselves, not the playstation. I didn't realize that HD-DVD was a seperate system, whoops ^^; . Anyway, I just remember the same thing happening with Laser Discs when they first came out (I recall Jurassic Park being on 2 or 3 large record sized discs, lol,) then DVD players, and no Blue Ray seems like it's the next to follow the path of obsurd prices for the first several years, only to be $50 in ten years or so for a system that's twice as good as the ones now for $3,000.

True, but in that case you need that first wave of people, or else the new form of media may not hit off. You would have never seen cheap DVD players if people haven't been willing to buy them in the first place.

However, in this case, Sony is expecting people to pay several hundred dollars extra for blu-ray - on a gaming system. They're giving us no option but to buy that, or go elsewhere, and are alienating anyone who just wants the game system. It's not so much that it's a chance, it's that it's a chance that doesn't have much to do with gaming.

Aaron wrote:Sony should just hire someone to take their head out of their @$$.

Honestly, at this time, that's going to take a heck of a lot of pulling.

If Sony keeps up these ridiculous ideas when the PS3 launches, there's no chance in heck of me purchasing it. Seriously, at this point, I don't want to buy it to send them the message.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

It's the Jaguar and the 3DO all over again. If the company keeps going at this rate, I seriously doubt there will be a Playstation 4.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Agawa wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Actually, I more or less meant blue-ray systems themselves, not the playstation. I didn't realize that HD-DVD was a seperate system, whoops ^^; . Anyway, I just remember the same thing happening with Laser Discs when they first came out (I recall Jurassic Park being on 2 or 3 large record sized discs, lol,) then DVD players, and no Blue Ray seems like it's the next to follow the path of obsurd prices for the first several years, only to be $50 in ten years or so for a system that's twice as good as the ones now for $3,000.

True, but in that case you need that first wave of people, or else the new form of media may not hit off. You would have never seen cheap DVD players if people haven't been willing to buy them in the first place.

However, in this case, Sony is expecting people to pay several hundred dollars extra for blu-ray - on a gaming system. They're giving us no option but to buy that, or go elsewhere, and are alienating anyone who just wants the game system. It's not so much that it's a chance, it's that it's a chance that doesn't have much to do with gaming.

Which makes me quite glad that I've outgrown most games. I just don't find them all that appealing these days. Sure there are games out there that I still would like to buy, but most of them are either on older platforms or on the computer.

It's the Jaguar and the 3DO all over again. If the company keeps going at this rate, I seriously doubt there will be a Playstation 4.

I doubt it, I mean Sony is a large enough company to shrug off any losses they incure in one sector of their operations. As long as there at least a million systems sold, I'm sure they would look into the possibility to create a new platform system.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

It's just for that one game. Paying that much for a game to play it at 100% = Ridiculous: yes. End of Sony: No.

Perhaps we shouldn't jump to conclusions and remember one thing: Grand Turismo isn't the only game for the PS3. Just because they decided to screw over one game isn't the end of the PS3. With games like FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, Devil May Cry 4, and any other that I haven't mentioned (including that Gundam game, that looks awesome), it doesn't really matter if Sony makes a really stupid mistake. Like I said perviously: One small problem is not "just another nail in Sony's Coffin".

It is innevitable though that the PS3 will have a rocky start with it's price and all. Only hard core gamers will buy the PS3 right off the bat because of the price tag. But in the end, history will most likely repeat itself. Sony will rise to the top, Nintendo at second, and Mircrosoft at third.

Now before any of you obssessive compulsive nintendo fan boys attack me because I dont' support your precious Wii I would like to make one statement:

I am not a fan boy of any system, I am neutral. I look at all consoles, see which one has the games that I am interested in and I get that system. It just so happens that Sony most often has the games I want.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Zophar wrote:Now before any of you obssessive compulsive nintendo fan boys attack me because I dont' support your precious Wii I would like to make one statement:

Why do you immediately assume that folks here are "obssessive compusive nintendo fan boys"? Has anyone said anything like that in this thread thus far? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I think that statement came out more of a natural reflex than anything. After all, it is very common for many forums to be plagued by fanboys that attack people for whatever the reason. Although Lunar-Net isn't one of them, it would still be something I too would likely state, just out of habit.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote:Why do you immediately assume that folks here are "obssessive compusive nintendo fan boys"? Has anyone said anything like that in this thread thus far? KF

Well... I did put that thing in my first post about washing my hands 100 times a day... I guess that could be where he got the OCD part from. :roll:

I don't think any of us would have attacked you, Zophar.