The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (minor spoilers)

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (minor spoilers)

Post by GhaleonOne »

Just curious if I'm the only one here that's playing through it currently? I'm surprised at how quickly the game throws you into the plot. Ocarana of Time had you doing light stuff to start. You did the Deku Tree dungeon, then had fun sneaking into Hyrule Castle. Everything was light-hearted throughout the early goings. It doesn't take long for the game to involve you in the main plot real quick. And there seems to be more story-telling this time around than in past Zelda's. I'm very impressed. It almost feels like a cross between A Link to the Past and Ocarana of Time. The concept and feel of the game remind me some of ALttP, while the style and substance feel very Ocarana to me. Still wondering if Ganon is in the game, as I read absolutely nothing about it prior to playing. I kind of hope they pull an Aghanim (sp?) from ALttP and have some really sweet badguy who plays the frontman until Ganon unviels himself.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I have it and have been playing, though fairly slowly; still halfway through the first dungeon. I'm told it gets lighter further in. I don't think I care to make any judgments of "best" yet; there are still some things that rub me the wrong way and we'll have to see if those get overruled eventually. Each game in the series has its strengths and weaknesses and I haven't played enough to definitively identify those in this game. I've found other Zeldas more enjoyable, but of course that's a personal opinion and others may find this one right up their alley.

G1: did the fish thing in the very beginning take you a couple of tries? I thought I'd just misread something and/or screwed up the first time, but a friend of mine told me that as far as he knew it always took a couple of fish.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I had trouble figuring it out, actually. Once I did, yeah, it took 2 fish to get the cat to run off with it.

You're not far behind me, but I will admit, that first dungeon is pretty long compared to other first dungeon's in a Zelda game.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... long first dungeon. I was replaying A Link to the Past and was shocked at how detailed those early dungeons were compared to the early dungeons of Ocarina of Time. Those didn't even have keys.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

I am also playing Zelda:TP right now and am completely enjoying it. I am at Zora's domain to get the final piece of the shadow thing(I don't remember what its called)for Midna. Not really sure how far into the game I am as far as the ending. I am about 24 hours in so...

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You got quite a ways to go. I'm at the last dungeon (though I still think there's a bit more after it, but I'm not sure yet). There's not as many dungeon's as in some other Zelda's, but there's a lot more to do. I'm really impressed so far. The bosses are really top-notch.
-G1

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

Thats good, even though I am 24 hours in I feel like I havnt even begun to scratch the surface. I love this game.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think I've clocked about 60 hours, but now that I'm reaching the end, I think I'll try and go find as much stuff as I can. I know there's still a lot of heart peices lying around, and a few other things I've missed.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I still haven't gotten back to this after getting Epona in Kakariko. :( Haven't had the time with work and then travel, and when I did have the time there's been other gameplaying going on... though I admit that I'm not as enthusiastic about playing it anyway because of the motion sickness I get from it. I did just pick up the GC version a few days ago, so I could conceivably restart with it; I think I might prefer that controller. The beginning was somewhat tedious, though, so I'm not sure I'd want to redo it any time soon even though I'm close to the beginning.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i just wanted to read through this because i was considering getting a wii i never played the gamecube zelda's because the style of them kinda turned me off a bit but i did want to get master quest since ocarina of time was my favorite game as a kid. so far it sounds like TP is set in hyrule right?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, it's in Hyrle, and in fact, barring the Wii control aspects (which IMO make the control scheme flow even better) it's very OoT in it's gameplay and look.
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

now im really pumped about getting this, plus my friend works at walmart 10% discount on everything

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

To be honest I've found the controls kind of awkward and nonintuitive, and seriously considered starting over on the GC game. That may just be me, though.

You really should give the GC Zeldas a chance. Wind Waker has weak points, but none of them have to do with the style; I was put off by the drawing style until I played it but now I really wish they'd use it more instead of this overhyped serious look of TP. And Four Swords Adventures is quite worthwhile if you liked Link to the Past, and the single-player does not require a GBA and link cable.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

hmm, i might have to consider picking up a gamecube as well then. im so mad i lost my copy of link to the past. i never got to finish it either.

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

After 30 minutes into the game I was slingshotting and sword fighting with relative ease. I put in about 45 hours without doing hardly any of the side quests so the next playthrough I'm going to try and do a perfect game. Right now I'm playing Ocarina on the Cube and it's so wierd going from Wii to old school setup, aiming feels so slow although my hands do not get as tired. I remember in some of the boss fights (third dungeon especially) I was friggin panting because every time I'd get a chance, I'd get frantic and start swinging away.

As for Zelda, Twilight...It is my favorite, I thought Nintendo worked on the one factor I thought they needed too, Story, something i thought they improved with WW. But I'm going to be going through All the 3d Zeldas (I'm now at the Spirit Temple in OOT, and when I play MM I'll be just after Link became a Zora. The controls (I have NOT played it on the cube) I found to work fairly well but it really does seem dependant upon the person. After I picked up my component cables, it really shed new light on the Twlight.

Anyway, the secondary reason I wanted to post was to share that http://www.thehylia.com has a 350mb or so zip with most of the soundtrack on it. So I thought that would be nice to those who've played it
WARNING: The song names contain spoilers, so do not look unless you've beat the game!

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

exigence wrote:hmm, i might have to consider picking up a gamecube as well then. im so mad i lost my copy of link to the past. i never got to finish it either.
Don't bother picking up a Gamecube. Wii can play any non-online Gamecube game. And yes, the Gamecube Zeldas are very deserving of a play through especially at their current price (I think they're both 20 dollars).

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

the wii will play those tiny gamecube discs?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, Wii is backwards compatible with GameCube games. You can even plug your Cube controllers into the Wii.
-G1

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

There are four zelda's for the Cube, Wind Waker which was designed for the system itself, then you have The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition, which was released with some Gamecubes or by registering stuff with the Big N. This however is more expensive than Wind Waker as it was released in limited quantities (around 40 I think now), the Collectors Edition has The Legend of Zelda (on the NES), Zelda II (NES), Ocarina of Time (N64) and Majora's Mask (N64). There's also the Version of OoT that came with the normal version and then the Master Quest Version. This game was availible if you preordered Wind Waker. Then you have Zelda Four Swords Adventure, which I'm not sure will work on the Wii.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Siazair wrote:Then you have Zelda Four Swords Adventure, which I'm not sure will work on the Wii.
I'm 90% certain that it will work on a Gamecube since any Gamecube controller should work with it. Plus, for single player (as mentioned by Alunissage), you can use a GC controller. I can't try out the multiplayer as I don't have my SP with me (I try to have very few games up with me at college to avoid distractions and simplify packing). I'll let you know in a couple of hours if the single-player works. Multiplayer is definitely more fun, but even the single-player is great if you like 2d Zelda.

Edit: It works.