Final Fantasy VI

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Final Fantasy VI

Post by GhaleonOne »

Anyone realize this is going to be out on the GBA in a matter of 2-3 weeks? I didn't realize it was coming out that quickly. I was in love with the SNES game years ago, and it's still, hands down, the best Final Fantasy in my book. The music is especially good, and the story was great (barring complaints that it fell apart in the latter half, I didn't mind that so much, as there was so much to do still).
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

cool mabey i should pick up a GBA iv always wanted to play lunar legend, now that ff VI is coming out i wolnt be able to hold my self back.

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Yeah, I played through the whole Japanese version the other day. God were those extra Espers and Dungeon really lackluster.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, I'm massively stoked. This is definately the best Final Fantasy game so far. Although apparently it's getting a new translation, which I'm less than excited about, as Ted Woolsey's SNES translation was awesome.

And Exigence, I can't suggest strongly enough that you get a DS instead of a GBA. You can play GBA games on it, plus all those new-fangled DS games. I love mine.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

"Son of a submarine!"

Heh, yeah, a guy who's as mad and demented as Kefka is really going to say that. That aside, yeah, I did like the SNES translation too.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

ilovemyguitar wrote:And Exigence, I can't suggest strongly enough that you get a DS instead of a GBA. You can play GBA games on it, plus all those new-fangled DS games. I love mine.
Except that if he wants to play GB and GBC games a DS won't cut it. No Link's Awakening or Oracle of Ages/Seasons...

A friend of mine has been playing the reviewable, which he must've completed by now since he was on the bonus dungeon just before New Year's. But I don't remember him saying anything about the translation.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

This is my all-time favorite game. It beats them all out. And I managed to buy it on a whim. It was a toss-up between this and Lufia: Fortress of Doom. I SO made the right choice.

Granted Lufia made bein' Left-Handed evil, BUT GOD-LIKE!
ImageImageImage

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Honestly speaking, my sentimental favorite of the Final Fantasies is FFIV, and I'd probably say that the best game from the series is FFXII. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have fond memories of FFVI.

My brother and I got it as a Christmas present back in '94. At that point in time I had still only played a few RPGs so I was still in the stage where every game was a new and exciting experience. I remember reading through the various Nintendo Power articles on the game in the months before. When we first had the game my brother and I set it up so that one of us would get to play for about an hour, then we'd have to save and let the other person play for an hour, and so on. During my brother's turn to play I'd go through the instruction manual and look over the maps that came with the game (I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that game packaging was, in general, much better back in those days). I remember when I first played I decided that Edgar was my favorite character (mostly because of the "Tools" command) so I'd have him in my party whenever possible. Ah, those were good days. Good days indeed.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Is FFXII really that good? I've heard good things about it, despite the demo being boring as sin. I bought it, and just haven't tried it. Mainly because it had the unfortunately release date of coming before Zelda. I didn't pick FFXII up until a week before I got my Wii so I never started it. Both it and Dragon Quest VIII are on my list to play sometime this year, as I haven't played through DQVIII yet either.
-G1

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Did someone mention FFXII?

The battle system for FFXII is very good in my opinion. It is kind of dull at first but once you get enough abilities and gambits it's a blast. The only cheap shots are the limit breaks, which can cause massive damage and you can use them anytime as long as atleast 1 MP bar is full...and then chain with other characters breaks even if they have 0 MP.

I was in love with the idea of no more random battles...leveling up for me in that game is always fun, something I normally hate doing after a few solid hours in.

The story, however...

Well, I'm about halfway through the game and so far I'd say "It's...okay." It focuses a lot on the aspect of the war that's going on...and not a whole lot about the characters. Everyone is likable and everything, but if you're a sucker for character development...so far I haven't seen any. I hear it doesn't get much better either.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I didn't do any of the actual playing, just watching while my husband played. I'll say that I thought the voice acting was really good, which is a lot coming from me seeing as in general I think most games are better off without it (at least in English) because I only hear voice-acting, not voices. But they were pretty believable with their characters, which incidentally had great body language and such.. The story had some interesting aspects, but there are plenty of RPG cliches in there too which sometimes sounded really ludicrous against this sophisticated background of technology and politics. Some really nice details in the character designs although some really ridiculous design choices too, like having a whole race of bunny girls. There were also some funny bits like one enemy being named Foobar and another one having a special attack or spell called Roxxor. I also thought the ending was satisfying without being sappy, other than the inevitable vocal song, which I always find to run the gamut of forgettable to annoying.

You'll probably enjoy it, really. I thought it had some neat stuff in it, though I was tired of the music (which is generally pretty good) by the end of it. Granted, this was in part because I gave up all my possible Zelda playtime so my husband could finish the game before we went to visit his family, and then his brother, to whom we loaned it, started playing it so I still didn't get to play Zelda (and haven't since then, either, but that's because we've been finishing Okami).

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I bought FFVI the other day and it really brings back memories. I'm having a problem remembering what some of the original tracks sounded like so does anyone have the link to a page that has all of the SNES tracks? I read some reviews on Gamefaqs where people -Borgan- about the music but for a GBA game it sounds pretty damn good to me. I know the soundtrack has been remixed for the Advance but I'd need to hear the original tracks to really decipher the changes. I always liked the Opera track, and the Veldt, but I've only heard the new version of the Veldt so far and it's really good. I loved the soundtrack to this game on the SNES and while it doesn't affect me as much as Lunar The Silver Star did, it still ranks as probably the second most memorable to me. I'm playing this on my GameBoy Player so as much as this would look gorgeous on my Black DS Lite I have to play it on a tv. Why the hell is there no strategy guide for this game!!!!!!!? I really hope a good one shows up because I hate missing anything.

On a related note, I've clocked in over 170 hours on FFXII and I'm still not done with the damn game. I did leave the game idle on a few occasions. I say the game is 30% story, 70% sidequests and it just takes up so much freaking time I'm sick of it. I haven't even gotten the last three Espers (optional) and they really blow goats in this game. The last Esper, Zodiark, is really the only powerful Esper but you have to have all 12 before getting him. Did I mention the Espers suck? It's nice to bring back the name "esper" from FFIII/VI but totally a waste. I think I acually liked some aspects of FFX better (Aeons especially). The soundtrack isn't that good in XII, IMO.

Now, would someone be kind enough to share the location of the splendid SNES tracks for Final Fantasy III/VI? If you have them you could always send them to me. It would be splendid darling!

- Silver Phoenix

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Now, would someone be kind enough to share the location of the splendid SNES tracks for Final Fantasy III/VI? If you have them you could always send them to me. It would be splendid darling!
Hm, I have 22 MP3s from FF6, 2 of them remixes (and 20 originals). Having never played the game, though, I don't know if they're the actual tracks. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Do they sound like they're midi produced or orchestrated? I was looking for the midi tracks from the SNES game.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://www.vgmusic.com/

MIDI tracks for tens of thousands of games. That site has been around since as far as I remember being online.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Are they the actual tracks present in the game or reproductions made by people? Just curious.

-- Okay so I'm checking out the site and there are tracks from various people so I have no idea which tracks are from the actual game --

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To be honest, I haven't downloaded anything from there since the original Lunar Threads at Dave Z's site (ie., 9 years ago or so) so I'm not really sure what all they have. I just know they did have tons of Final Fantasy III (VI, but it's listed as III in the SNES section) MIDIs.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Are they the actual tracks present in the game or reproductions made by people? Just curious.

-- Okay so I'm checking out the site and there are tracks from various people so I have no idea which tracks are from the actual game --
MIDIs by definition are reproductions made by people. There are programs to go from WAV to MIDI, but they only approximate as best as possible the original WAV file. MIDI quality also depends on the sound card you have, not just on the file itself.

MP3s however can be near-exact reproductions of actual data (and WAV or other major audio formats).

By the way, I found the site where I obtained the FF6 MP3s. They're all from the soundtrack, so they may not be exactly what was in the games themselves:
Blue Laguna: http://bluelaguna.net/pages/selectmp3.php
FF6 Page: http://bluelaguna.net/music/ff6/mp3s.php

This may be what you're looking for. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Either way, thanks for the links G1 and Kizyr. When I have some free time I'll download some tracks and check them out.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I still remember the exact way the songs sounded in the NES version of FF6. (I'm pissed they changed the way the Chocobo and Cyan's Castle theme on the CD for FFAnthology they also didn't include several of my favoite themes like to Zozo Theme )

So if you run your midis by me I'll be able to tell you how accurate they are.

FF6 is my second favorite game.

Edit: Shoot! My thousandth post!
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.