Ubisoft is trying to sue Lowtax.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote: Still, it could be considered illegal in civil court. Think about it, it's defamation of character, which is illegal to some capacity.
But it's a parody, and she's a public figure. It's different then. Check out <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Ma ... v._Falwell> this court case. </a>

I'm not making the argument that it shouldn't be allowed to be made. I just think that the "artist" should use more discretion. Just because you can legally do something doesn't make it morally right. There is a distinction between the two.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Heh, tell that to youtube. :) YouTube, biggest group of ass kissers to fall to a hint of a lawsuit. :roll:

In all seriousness, I can see how this falls on a grey line. Part of me thinks its great and rightfully done, the other half finds it stupid and shouldn't have been done.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I don't think Ubisoft would have a leg to stand on in a defamation of character suit; this is clearly parodical in nature.

If you're going to engage in actions that you know will put you in the public eye, like using your own likeness to market a video game, you're opening yourself up to public ridicule. This woman is a public figure by choice, and she has to deal with the repercussions of that, including juvenile comic strips like this.

However, that said, Ubisoft undoubtedly has a great deal more money than this poor fellow, and if they wanted to they could hit him with repeated expensive lawsuits, founded or unfounded, to muscle him into doing what they want.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I'm wouldn't argue the legality, 'cause I would lose. Doesn't change the fact that the comic is in extremely poor taste. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Several other ways to convey the same message without the BS.

He chose the BS, people called him out for his douchebaggery, and now he's trying to avoid the responsibility by pulling the ol' "You guys need to lighten up first amendment free speech get a sense of humor ur al teh gays" BS. (I'm not talking about SA, I'm talking about Chugworth). You know, sometimes I wish people like this would actually use their brain when they think of these ideas. "You know, I wonder if this would be appropriate?" When anyone comes up with any ideas that could be considered extreme, they should ask themselves this question, it'd save a whole lot of headaches.

I don't give a damn about the legality, doesn't make the comic any less distasteful and degrading. Not just for her, not just for him, but for the entire gaming community as a whole. By defending the comic, people are sending the message that we don't want any women in our video game development teams, ESPECIALLY if they're somewhat attractive, ESPECIALLY if they're in any position of importance (i.e. she's the producer), 'cause we'll just laugh at comics we draw of her sucking off random gamers just to get them to buy her game. We'll depict her as a whore, we'll all laugh at her, and there's nothing she can do about it so neener neener neener. The "boys club" mentality of the video game industry needs to go.

So why are people defending this guy again?
-Nobi

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I'd say that arguing that something just isn't funny is absurd because it's subjective. people need to think they have different opinions..not better opinions.

i doubt the person considered if it was appropriate because he was apathetic. i also don't see how alun can make this out to be for the sake of degrading ALL women? do you think men sit around and just plot against women in general and throwing theirs arms up doing the infamous villian laugh? it is to degrade her. there's no question about that. and it's also to make a joke about her behavior.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:I'd say that arguing that something just isn't funny is absurd because it's subjective. people need to think they have different opinions..not better opinions.
That's definitely not always the case. Opinions are only as good as the facts upon which they are based.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

you know as well as i that morality doesn't fall in that area, though.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:you know as well as i that morality doesn't fall in that area, though.
In which area? Whether it is or isn't degrading to women, or if it is or isn't funny?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

the latter. subjective matters generally aren't about facts.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Re:

Post by Agawa »

Nobiyuki77 wrote: I don't give a damn about the legality, doesn't make the comic any less distasteful and degrading. Not just for her, not just for him, but for the entire gaming community as a whole. By defending the comic, people are sending the message that we don't want any women in our video game development teams, ESPECIALLY if they're somewhat attractive, ESPECIALLY if they're in any position of importance (i.e. she's the producer), 'cause we'll just laugh at comics we draw of her sucking off random gamers just to get them to buy her game. We'll depict her as a whore, we'll all laugh at her, and there's nothing she can do about it so neener neener neener. The "boys club" mentality of the video game industry needs to go.

This pretty much sums up what I feel about the comic, and thank you for saying so. I'm also critical of all the anger being misplaced towards Jade Raymond here - why are we assuming it's her choice to be used as marketing fodder like this again? Considering the articles I've seen her mentioned in, gaming journalism has done a pretty good job of objectifying her on their own. Not only that, but if Ubisoft was parroting her around, how is that her fault? For all we know, she wants to keep her job and being showed off as the producer is part of it. Honestly, the knee-jerk assumption that she deserved it is what's most offputting to me about this comic and the reaction that it's gotten.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: Re:

Agawa wrote:
Nobiyuki77 wrote: I don't give a damn about the legality, doesn't make the comic any less distasteful and degrading. Not just for her, not just for him, but for the entire gaming community as a whole. By defending the comic, people are sending the message that we don't want any women in our video game development teams, ESPECIALLY if they're somewhat attractive, ESPECIALLY if they're in any position of importance (i.e. she's the producer), 'cause we'll just laugh at comics we draw of her sucking off random gamers just to get them to buy her game. We'll depict her as a whore, we'll all laugh at her, and there's nothing she can do about it so neener neener neener. The "boys club" mentality of the video game industry needs to go.

This pretty much sums up what I feel about the comic, and thank you for saying so. I'm also critical of all the anger being misplaced towards Jade Raymond here - why are we assuming it's her choice to be used as marketing fodder like this again? Considering the articles I've seen her mentioned in, gaming journalism has done a pretty good job of objectifying her on their own. Not only that, but if Ubisoft was parroting her around, how is that her fault? For all we know, she wants to keep her job and being showed off as the producer is part of it. Honestly, the knee-jerk assumption that she deserved it is what's most offputting to me about this comic and the reaction that it's gotten.
Because she's a human being that should have the capacity make her own choices based on her opinions and morals. I'll go ahead and assume there was never a gun to her head. We all have our price and we've either seen Jade's OR (brace yourself for this one) it could be possible that she doesn't care if she's flaunting herself or being flaunted? perhaps she only cares about being portrayed as a fluffer?

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Ubisoft is trying to sue Lowtax.

Post by Alunissage »

HAH.

You think women can choose whether or not they're objectified?

The only choice is in the degree of complicity in their own objectification... and far too often it's a matter of simple survival. Probably not in this case, but not only are the chances so slim as to be nonexistent that she gleefully chose and volunteered to be a public prostitute, even if she had it's not a real choice because like everyone else on the planet she's been programmed from infancy to learn her place in society, to be rewarded by conformation to the sexbot role and punished for refusing. She has about as much ability to choose to be unaffected by that lifelong conditioning and the realities of the world around her as she does to choose not to obey the law of gravity.

There's no question that I think less of women exercising what choice they do have to act like this. It's repulsive. But it's absolutely unrealistic to say that because she wasn't forced at gunpoint it was all her choice and that she likes being portrayed this way. It's like the illusory "power" that some females (with the agreement of even more males) claim they have over men by being sex objects. It's only the power to be abused and dehumanized more overtly.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Alunissage wrote:HAH.

You think women can choose whether or not they're objectified?

The only choice is in the degree of complicity in their own objectification... and far too often it's a matter of simple survival. Probably not in this case, but not only are the chances so slim as to be nonexistent that she gleefully chose and volunteered to be a public prostitute, even if she had it's not a real choice because like everyone else on the planet she's been programmed from infancy to learn her place in society, to be rewarded by conformation to the sexbot role and punished for refusing. She has about as much ability to choose to be unaffected by that lifelong conditioning and the realities of the world around her as she does to choose not to obey the law of gravity.

There's no question that I think less of women exercising what choice they do have to act like this. It's repulsive. But it's absolutely unrealistic to say that because she wasn't forced at gunpoint it was all her choice and that she likes being portrayed this way. It's like the illusory "power" that some females (with the agreement of even more males) claim they have over men by being sex objects. It's only the power to be abused and dehumanized more overtly.
No. I think she had to have been able to tell that the way they were having her behave was motivated with sexism. She could speak out about having a problem with it. I'm sure if she got fired, she could've make a major issue about it. Looks like me like she got "punished" for NOT refusing the sexbot role. She isn't even that hot in the first place..

I never even implied that she volunteered to be a public prostitute. Comparing flirty behavior in interviews to penetration is quite a stretch.

I have my opinions on the subject but i'm not passionate about them. I have a feeling that's how it is for most of the people that think on this. We call it "fake outrage" and people love it. If you don't pretend that you care a lot, you may go unheard if you decide to speak on it.

The thing is, we're all growing and adjusting in society and we aren't TOO old when we figure out a lot of ways that we're affected by society. You must account for the fact that we have awareness that this goes on. We can take steps to help us recognize and fight it.

the depression thing with the myspace girl, society for the general weak will of women on several points....and whole lot of other things that are too frustrating to raise my blood pressure by typing. I hate how science and medicine are coming together to make sure that nothing is ever anyones fault again. "If we coin a 15-letter scientific word for it and explain in full detail the processes of the brain that lead up to it, we can absolve ourselves of all responsibility!"

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: the depression thing with the myspace girl, society for the general weak will of women on several points....and whole lot of other things that are too frustrating to raise my blood pressure by typing. I hate how science and medicine are coming together to make sure that nothing is ever anyones fault again. "If we coin a 15-letter scientific word for it and explain in full detail the processes of the brain that lead up to it, we can absolve ourselves of all responsibility!"
I'm a bit lost on this one... what exactly are you trying to say about the general weak will of women and the depression of the myspace girl who killed herself?

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: No. I think she had to have been able to tell that the way they were having her behave was motivated with sexism. She could speak out about having a problem with it. I'm sure if she got fired, she could've make a major issue about it. Looks like me like she got "punished" for NOT refusing the sexbot role. She isn't even that hot in the first place..

I never even implied that she volunteered to be a public prostitute. Comparing flirty behavior in interviews to penetration is quite a stretch.
Wait, wait - now she's playing a "sexbot" role? And then you say you never compared flirty behaviour in interviews to penetration? I'm quite honestly a little confused about how your second paragraph fits with the first. Did I miss something in the discussion? Not only that, even if she was, oh, I don't know, going out for photoshoots and promotions all gussied up, why should she be "punished" for it? As much as I doubt the numerous gaming articles on the internet mentioning how hot Jade was, or her boobs, or posting giant pictures of her in an article about her game, was attention that she wanted, why does it matter? Ubisoft, if they had a part in it, and onling gaming journalism should have taken their professionalism further than that. I don't see how being pretty is unprofessional, and I don't see why everyone is automatically blaming Ms. Raymond for her photo being posted all over the internet with demeaning comments.

As for her speaking out about sexism against her? That depends on where it was, and who it was carried out by, and it's certainly not as easy a thing as you seem to describe. For one thing, gaming journalism was doing a good job of objectifying her, which could make it very difficult for her to find a way to get accurately represented in the news speaking out against them. This isn't really about Ms. Raymond and what she did or didn't do anyway, it's about the shameful way she's been portrayed, and the lack of respect she's been given.

Also, as an aside, I do honestly care about this, and it does upset me. I get where you're coming from with "srs buziness syndrome" (AKA everything is totally dramatic always and everywhere on the internet because everything TOTALLY matter) and it does bother me. This? No, I think the sexism surrounding the parody comic and the defense of it is important to pay attention to. The sad thing is, all of my female friends have experienced some form of sexual harassment, all the way from derogatory comments to rape. I quit my last job due to sexual harassment that the management refused to do nothing about. Life isn't always sunshine and daisies, and that's fine, and yeah, all people deal with things in their life. But that doesn't mean I don't and won't care, and that I won't speak up against sexism when I see it, just as I'd speak up against other things I find unjust.

P.S. I'm really sorry if any of this comes out somewhat jumbled; I'm rather ill but I did want to reply.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

phyco126 wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: the depression thing with the myspace girl, society for the general weak will of women on several points....and whole lot of other things that are too frustrating to raise my blood pressure by typing. I hate how science and medicine are coming together to make sure that nothing is ever anyones fault again. "If we coin a 15-letter scientific word for it and explain in full detail the processes of the brain that lead up to it, we can absolve ourselves of all responsibility!"
I'm a bit lost on this one... what exactly are you trying to say about the general weak will of women and the depression of the myspace girl who killed herself?
I'm saying there's too much ranting about how society has molded women into the people with the ways they have as opposed to recognizing it and just trying to change.

the way the myspace girl is somehow totally absolved of any responsibility whatsoever in the situation.

EVERYTHING is because of something else. Any idiot knows that basically everything has resulted from some cause and effect situation. Who the hell cares? It doesn't matter if you have large medical/psychological term derived from Latin words to excuse you from your problems, an excuse is still an excuse. It's high time to be solution oriented instead.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: I'm saying there's too much ranting about how society has molded women into the people with the ways they have as opposed to recognizing it and just trying to change.
The first thing needed to change society is to admit that there's a problem. All of your comments indicate that you don't believe that it's society's fault but the fault of the individual. Maybe, there hasn't been enough ranting. However, I don't feel that any amount of ranting would allow you to see these issues from another perspective.

Of course, this is not to say that it is solely society's fault. In reality, it is a complex interaction between society the individual.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Werefrog wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: I'm saying there's too much ranting about how society has molded women into the people with the ways they have as opposed to recognizing it and just trying to change.
The first thing needed to change society is to admit that there's a problem. All of your comments indicate that you don't believe that it's society's fault but the fault of the individual. Maybe, there hasn't been enough ranting. However, I don't feel that any amount of ranting would allow you to see these issues from another perspective.

Of course, this is not to say that it is solely society's fault. In reality, it is a complex interaction between society the individual.

Now it's you assuming more than i said. I never claimed it's the fault of the individual. I'm saying that it's time we quit pointing out where the fault lies and just focus on progressing. Living in the past is bad. We need to be solution oriented. instead, we're blame oriented.

Now seeing the issues is a matter of empathy. You only get that through experience. I can't deal with the sexism (i refuse to mutilate my penis and become a TG for the sake of a little "chicken soup for the soul"), but maybe if i learn japanese and move over there, i can empathize with the blacks of the US a few decades ago when i try to get into a hostess bar and i hear the big "DA-ME!" :lol:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: the way the myspace girl is somehow totally absolved of any responsibility whatsoever in the situation.
Okay, so let me get this straight. You are saying that you never said it was the victims fault in any of this, but instead of focusing blame we should all move on? Yet you clarely state that the myspace girl should have been the one to tkae the blame, or in your words, responsibility, for it. I fail to see how anyone who is so depressed and kills themselves should have any sort of responsibility to anything about it.

Second, if you say we should move on. A prostitute is raped. What would your reaction be? It was her choice, she has sex for a living so what is she complaining about, and instead of taking the time to make her a victim and look for the man/woman who assualted her we should just move on to fixing the problem of prostitution?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote: Now it's you assuming more than i said. I never claimed it's the fault of the individual.
No, I'm not assuming. I have the ability to read post, notice trends, and make deductions. That also allowed me to predict that you were going to pull the "you're putting words in my mouth" (or the "itz just a joke srsly" card, you're fond of that as well) card that you play anytime anyone call you out on your posts.
I'm saying that it's time we quit pointing out where the fault lies and just focus on progressing.
That's like trying to cure cancer without knowing the cause.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of the post as it was just gibberish .