Anyone Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass?

Post by Werefrog »

I received Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for Christmas, and I've really enjoyed the game so far. The story mode alone is worth the price of admission.

However, I just tried the online mode, and I love it. I'm not very good at it yet, but I would love to play with some of you if you have the game. If anyone's interested, I'll post my friend code.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Anyone Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass?

Post by Agawa »

Werefrog wrote: However, I just tried the online mode, and I love it. I'm not very good at it yet, but I would love to play with some of you if you have the game. If anyone's interested, I'll post my friend code.
I'm enjoying The Phantom Hourglass, but honestly, there was no need for so much repetition in the Temple of the Ocean King (?). It wouldn't be quite so annoying if you could find shortcuts with new items (the bombchus, arrows...) since you need to place each floor at least twice and, usually, numerous times, however that isn't the case. Again, this is hurt by the fact that the floors are all fairly similar - despite getting harder and introducing some new challenges, they still all feel the same to me.

The rest of the game is really fun. It lacks the serious side of the older games, but it's cute and fun to play, and I won't argue with that. Nothing truly extraordinary, but, fun.

Also, I have no idea how the online mode works? I didn't realize you could play online with the DS, since I've only ever played with friends sitting in the same room. What is the online mode?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Huh? There are lots of shortcuts with the items you get later.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Alunissage wrote:Huh? There are lots of shortcuts with the items you get later.
Hmm, maybe I just missed them or I'm looking at it in a different way, because I remember most levels in the Temple of the Ocean King being virtually the same, with only one or two shortcuts that really did very little for you. I could be remembering incorrectly, but it was only a minor quibble anyway.
It's still a fairly solid handheld game, and I enjoyed it thoroughly when I wasn't in the Temple, and sometimes when I was. The replay value is low for me, but that's only because I'd normally replay for story.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Agawa wrote: Hmm, maybe I just missed them or I'm looking at it in a different way, because I remember most levels in the Temple of the Ocean King being virtually the same, with only one or two shortcuts that really did very little for you. I could be remembering incorrectly, but it was only a minor quibble anyway.
Yeah, there are plenty of shortcuts that make the temple easier to get through after you get items like the hookshot and the bow and arrow.

I actually really liked the Temple of the Ocean King, and this is coming from someone who can't stand the stealth portions any of the other Zelda games.

Oh, and the online portion is based to an extent on the gameplay in the Temple of the Ocean King. Really though, it's more like a game of capture the flag. One person controls Link who has to carry back Force Gems to his safe zone, and the other controls three Phantoms (by drawing paths for each one on the map). Once the Phantom catches Link (or time runs out), the two sides switch. It's really simple, but it's incredibly fun.