I'm done buying Sony and Microsoft systems...

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I'm done buying Sony and Microsoft systems...

Post by GhaleonOne »

2 Playstation 2's
1 Xbox 360
and now a Playstation 3 as of today...

All conked out. That's garbage, especially on Sony's part. From now on I'll only be buying Nintendo systems. Sony can't make hardware for crap. I even waited a while before buying one, knowing Sony's track record on launch products. At least MS is owning up to their 360 problems and I can get a free replacement. After checking Sony's pricing on fixing the PS3, it's $180 bucks. That's complete -Dung Beetle- for a product that isn't even a year old.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: I'm done buying Sony and Microsoft systems...

Post by Alunissage »

Yikes. :(

I talked to someone some years ago who was on his ninth PlayStation, but he was one of those truly terrifying people who played games 20 hours a day so it wasn't so surprising. But somehow I don't think you've been doing that.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Alunissage wrote:But somehow I don't think you've been doing that.
Who, G1? Goodness no... He's a twenty-four hour man. :P
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Bad luck eh?

My Playstation still works beautifully, and I never used the Xbox as much as the playstation, but for now it still works.

Maybe it's a good thing you don't mess too much with computers? You should see the work to not work ratio on computer components. Of course, at least those are generally replaced for free if it's still under warranty (and some carry life-time warranties). Just pay shipping and handling (which I don't like, if it breaks, the company should pay to ship, but it's better than Sony right?)

So yeah. You have some ultra bad-luck with them.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Nintendo titles are where the fun is anyway.

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Yeah, the only thing that's kept me from buying a 360 all this time is that I'm afraid it'll die on me after a month. :/ Free replacement or not, it's unsettling.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've been doing some research and it looks like it's replaceable from Sony within a year. At least they're better with the PS3 than the PS2. Thankfully I kept my receipt.

FYI, phyco, my PS1 never failed. Funny thing is, it's the only used system I've ever purchased.

And yes, Nintendo has never failed me.
Who, G1? Goodness no... He's a twenty-four hour man. :P
To be honest, I don't play games taht much anymore. I will for a while when something comes out (Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, see a pattern developing?) but nowhere near as much as I did, say, 5-6 years ago. I probably average 1 RPG a year, if that, anymore.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Fanboy...

Just kidding. That really sucks about the PS3. Sony has a horrible track record about fixing their mistakes it seems.

Edit: Post 1000!

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I have to tilt my Playstation on its side to get it to run the animation scenes in the Lunar games, but I'm still running the same old first Playstation I got, the same one my brother bought and then gave me. On the other hand I have heard my brother complain about this...apparently his PS2 KOed, but he still bought the PS3...for the BlueRay :P
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I want a Xbox 360 for Halo 3. Sorry, can't help it!

To be honest though, I'm fairly done with console systems. They went from games to practically being a self-contained all in one home computer and media center. Heck, after reading that some games that you buy for the PS3 have to be installed... screw that. I have a computer that can do everything a console does. Not to mention most games I just don't feel like playing for consoles anymore. Unless it was Lunar, I would totally by a PS3 and Xbox 360 for that.

Oh, and if I wanted a blue-ray, I can buy the drive for only $129.99 for my computer.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Yikes...I would probably be freaking out like crazy if I had bought an expensive PS3 and it died on me.

I've had one PS2 and one Gamecube die on me. The PS2 would only play PS2 games and nothing else...I tried pushing its limits and broke it (trying to play imports using swap magic to make a long story short), so the PS2 breaking was my own fault. >_>'

Luckly, I've never really had anything die on me before except for my stupid Gamecube and Gamecubes were only $100 to buy a new one. I bought a pretty shiny silver one to replace my old purple gamecube. :P

My 360 has had no problems as of yet. That might be because I rarely play it and got it back in early March of this year.

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

phyco126 wrote:Well, I want a Xbox 360 for Halo 3. Sorry, can't help it!

To be honest though, I'm fairly done with console systems. They went from games to practically being a self-contained all in one home computer and media center. Heck, after reading that some games that you buy for the PS3 have to be installed... screw that. I have a computer that can do everything a console does. Not to mention most games I just don't feel like playing for consoles anymore. Unless it was Lunar, I would totally by a PS3 and Xbox 360 for that.

Oh, and if I wanted a blue-ray, I can buy the drive for only $129.99 for my computer.
PS3 games are installed to cut load times in half, and for most games it only takes like 5 mins to install, so I think thats cool

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I dont have either Ps3 or 360, only because i still haven't made up my mind on which one to get. as of now i'm leaning a little more to the ps3 mostly because of blu-ray and the better graphics.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

GhaleonOne wrote:2 Playstation 2's
1 Xbox 360
and now a Playstation 3 as of today...

All conked out. That's garbage, especially on Sony's part. From now on I'll only be buying Nintendo systems. Sony can't make hardware for crap. I even waited a while before buying one, knowing Sony's track record on launch products. At least MS is owning up to their 360 problems and I can get a free replacement. After checking Sony's pricing on fixing the PS3, it's $180 bucks. That's complete -Dung Beetle- for a product that isn't even a year old.
Yeah I can totally relate to the Xbox 360; it hadn't been a full year when my first one got the Red Ring of Death.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alex_Pwns_Hiro wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Well, I want a Xbox 360 for Halo 3. Sorry, can't help it!

PS3 games are installed to cut load times in half, and for most games it only takes like 5 mins to install, so I think thats cool
Again, if I wanted a game installed, I would buy the PC version of it. Can't say the same for everyone, as not all games someone buys is also out for the PC. Still, I always found that slapping a disk in and playing instantly without doing anything was the apex of consols.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think what APH is getting at is that 5 min of a one-time install < cumulative load times every time you play the game. I've never gotten around to playing the PS remake of Chrono Trigger because of the load times just going between menus and map. The fact that it starts up in less than 5 minutes is not much help if it takes 8-10 seconds every time I need to look at a menu, which happens kind of a lot in RPGs.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The load times sort of killed PS2-era RPGs for me, I think.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ah, load times, right... still have those on installs though. Sure it may be faster, but ever happened to you know, put the disk in and play? Not have to wait for the HDD and Installing and crap. Consoles are competeing too much with computers. Why spend $600 for a gaming system when I can just a computer that does the same thing (and more!)?

Now, PSP and Wii... maybe.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

This is why I miss cartridge based consoles. They may not have the biggest memory space or the best graphics, but by God, modern consoles come nowhere close to beating them in longevity! I still have the old NES console that I brother bought may backin '87, and it still works perfectly (as good as the day he gave it to me when he was done with it). I also still have my original SNes, and it works just as well. Same goes for myt N64, whereas I wouldn't keep my PS1 working for more than three years before having to replace it. And I'm already on my second PS2.
The only exception to this rule up to date is my Gamecube. I still have my original Gamecube. Of course, I'm fanatical about keeping the dust out of it, so...
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

When I got Soul Calibur 4 for the PS3, it tokk forever to load. That's until I installed it. Now the total load for starting it up and getting all the way to the last battle in story is a total of like 3 minutes (only counting loading screens). I see nothing wrong with installation. Sure it just makes it longer to play the game the first time, but when you have the game and waiting to play it is the best part. You just can't go wrong with it. 8)
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]