Ys for DS in Engish!!!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ys for DS in Engish!!!

Post by localflick »

Atlus is bringing the DS version of Ys books I&II to America, and they'll be on one cart! From what I've seen, it looks like the DS version is based on Ys Eternal which is incredible if you can find a copy (and download the fan-made english patch to run it of course).

The only downside is that we'll have to wait until February, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Ys for DS in Engish!!!

Post by Sonic# »

SCORE! *dance* I'd like to try these out, and this looks like my first opportunity to do so. I've been a fan since playing The Ark of Naphistim (sp) a couple of years ago.

Can anyone tell me whether these games are better or easier than Wanderers from Ys, which I've played on the SNES? That game has been difficult to get used to, and I find it nearly unplayable because I'm just not used to its difficulty.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wanderers from Ys, as I understand it, is to the Ys series what Zelda 2 is to the Zelda series. It's (I think) the only side-view game, stuff like that. I got the impression that the SNES game was harder than the TurboGrafx-16 version, but that may be because my husband played a little of the former, was annoyed, and went back to the latter, which he'd played lo these many years ago. But even taking that into account I get the impression that III is harder than the first two. The main thing I can tell you about the gameplay of the TG Ys I and II (which I've watched but not played) is that you fight by running into your enemies. I don't know what was updated for the "Eternal" version, but I have the impression it wasn't that much. (I remember people asking WD if they'd consider translating Ys I and II Eternal Story, but Vic said it wasn't different enough, or maybe just not complex enough, to do. Kind of a shame; we could have had Ys I and II Eternal Story Complete. :P)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I've only played the Eternal version using a walkthrough from the TG-16 version, and the guide was consistent through the first game (I'm not through 2 yet). The graphics and audio were re-done with some of the most beautiful 2D graphics I've ever seen, and a great soudtrack.

If you can find a copy on ebay I highly recommend it, but it's a pain to install. You either need a Japanese language pack installed on Windows or to track down a fan-made patch that took weeks to find. The patch is a 100% translation, even the cutscenes/intro were translated. When I have time I really want to finish the second game.

The DS version has me really excited about the fighting. Adol runs at enemies trying to hit them from the side or behind while the enemies are trying to do the same. You end up running in zig-zag pattens and trying to out maneuver the enemies which takes some getting used to after years of Zelda (or even Ys:Ark of Napishtim) when you can walk up and slash from any angle. With the stylus controls that seems like it will be more fun somehow.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

That should be pretty cool. I've been wanting to check out more of the Ys games ever seeing the Falcom panel back at Otakon.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

nectarsis
Burg Farmer

Post by nectarsis »

Day one purchase for me. :mrgreen:

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Hope you all don't mind but I am ressurecting the dead thread... I just bought this game based on the postive remarks made on the board. It even came with a CD, I think Lunar was the last game I bought that came with a soundtrack so that was nice. :mrgreen: Now I have high expectations.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm glad you did; I'd entirely forgotten. ^_^

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, I was thinking about getting this too, and I forgot as well. I just bought Dragon Quest V , so this will have to wait though. I bet this game is cheaper than DQ V. That game was 40 dollars. It's a great game... but 40 dollars is a lot for an SNES port, in my opinion.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Hand of the Heavenly Bride is a remake rather than a port, though. At any rate, I want to pick up Ys as well, but I've still got a fairly big pile of games to work through. I think I'll save buying it for a dry spell.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I guess... but still, they used the same graphics engine as they used for Dragon Quest IV, so it's not like it was the most difficult remake. The translation might have been a reason for the extra cost since the translators were starting fresh this time.

But yeah, I'll probably get Ys for DS soon. I have Ys I + II on the virtual console, and I absolutely loved the first one. I really need to go back and start the second one. I finished the first one just when my class load was starting to get heavy last semester and decided it would be best to not play it until things cooled down... something that didn't happen until this semester and by then I was already being kept busy by Dragon Quests and Arrested Developments and stand-up comedy shows.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Just in case u where wondering the gamestop by my house sold it for 34.99. So it should be cheaper than Dragon Quest.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Thanks for letting me know. Have you tried the game yet? Let us know what you think. You already know about the battle system, so you shouldn't be disappointed by that. (I actually grew to like it as the game progressed. It helps to know not to expect anything like Zelda.)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I was only able to play for about 15 mins last night. But so far so good, I'll post more once I get into the story a little bit. The game started out with a nice anime scene though.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Okay so I have played Ys for a couple of hours now. I like the battle system because the fights are easy and super fast. =oP Although I have died a few times while fighting the bosses. Everything seems to flow nicely, the graphics are typical and the music is okay. The game does give off that retro feel and I like it a lot! Hmmm if I had to describe my impressions of the game in one sentence it's like Zelda had a head on collision with an RPG and lost all of Links accessories.

(This will be the last time anyone asks my opinion on a game. :P )