Odds in 2009

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Odds in 2009

Post by lutomboy »

So what are the odds of any type of Lunar game announcement in 2009

In my opinion I say we have a a 20% chance the game writer’s are running out of ideas and are starting to go back to the old games for ideas. But …. I guess we will have to wait and see agene

even a Lunar SST for the PSP would be nice right about now

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Odds in 2009

Post by Sonix »

I'd love another Lunar, even if its a remake like your example (for PSP) or maybe Eternal Blue remake for PSP/DS?
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

lutomboy wrote:So what are the odds of any type of Lunar game announcement in 2009

In my opinion I say we have a a 20% chance the game writer’s are running out of ideas and are starting to go back to the old games for ideas. But …. I guess we will have to wait and see agene

even a Lunar SST for the PSP would be nice right about now
If you're going to see a Lunar game it's not likely to be on the PSP. With Rumors of PSP-2 circulating (reportedly to hit as early as next Holiday Season in Japan) and yet another year of underwhelming sales, along with some major department store retailers reportedly on the Virge of permanently clearing out their unsold inventories of PSP product in the coming months, it's unlikely it would be a new PSP title as the platform is rapidly approaching an earlier than expected end to its life.

Added in edit: I think a PSP 2 Lunar announcement is possible (though not likely). But the PSPs lifespan is about over, (especially in North America where Lunar has been surprisingly popular for a Japanese RPG series which would certainly impact any development). It's practically been relegated to a niche platform in Western markets, and while it's surviving in Japan, it sits darkly in the looming shadow of the ever popular Nintendo DS.

Another DS Lunar is more likely than any of the above scenerios.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Weren't the PSP2 rumours denied by someone-high-seated from Sony a month or two ago?
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I recall the PSP rumors being denied until PR time as launch came closer. Apple does the same thing if I remembered correctly about their things. A denial doesn't always equal truth, even if it does come from a top-dog.

In any event, I think the odds of getting a Lunar title this year is about as good as me winning the lottery... and I don't play... sooooo yeah.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Sonix wrote:Weren't the PSP2 rumours denied by someone-high-seated from Sony a month or two ago?
Sony just said they have nothing to announce or discuss right now. My guess is by TGS next September, we'll have an official announcement.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I guess. But still, PSP is doing pretty bad lately, it has lower sales in December than last year. There aren't any new good games coming up and is getting beaten up by DS.

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

Sonix wrote:I guess. But still, PSP is doing pretty bad lately, it has lower sales in December than last year. There aren't any new good games coming up and is getting beaten up by DS.
Everyone is having a bad year because of the global economy is shot right now, the PSP so doing better then the other hand held systems and I think they will get another 2 years out of it before they bring out the updated PSSP2

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

DS is actualy doing a lot better than PSP. I think DS even had a new week record last week 13-19 with 2.1m units sold. I'm not trying to bash PSP or anything, I'm just saying its not looking good for it. Well, it doesn't look good for both of Sony's consolesl, PS3 is doing pretty bad too. And by no means is PSP bad handheld, I own it and I like it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

By what measure is the PSP doing better than other handhelds? The only other major handheld is the DS, which really is beating the PSP on every front--unless you're comparing it to cellphones or other multi-use handheld systems. Dan's basically right about it being relegated to a niche market, and only in the US at that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

lutomboy wrote: Everyone is having a bad year because of the global economy is shot right now, the PSP so doing better then the other hand held systems and I think they will get another 2 years out of it before they bring out the updated PSSP2
EVERYONE is not having a bad year.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft saw increases in sales of their hardware (Nintendo in particular saw massive gains partly due to increased Wii and DS supplies) sales this past holiday season, and this is despite a global economic downturn.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... d=sec-tech

http://www.examiner.com/r-4899501~PS3_u ... eason.html

I could list a bunch of references, but basically Sony is taking a pounding while Nintendo is doing well, and Microsoft is at least improving their sales.

Both of Sony's two current gen platforms (the PSP and PS3) have seen a drop in sales from last holiday season while Nintendo has seen a slight jump in DS sales and a doubling of Wii sales. Microsoft has seen a slight gain on 360 sales.

The PSP is nearing the end of its lifespan.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I thought the statement meant that the PSP was doing better than past failed consoles like the Neo Geo Pocket and the Wonder Swan. To which, I think I agree. I think the PSP has done well enough that it will probably see a PSP-2.

Speaking of odds... what are the odds of Dragon Quests V-VI being translated and released on the DS? I'm playing IV right now and am loving it, so I hope the answer is 100%.

Edit: Just Wiki'd it. The release has already been confirmed by Square-Enix.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Werefrog wrote:I thought the statement meant that the PSP was doing better than past failed consoles like the Neo Geo Pocket and the Wonder Swan. To which, I think I agree. I think the PSP has done well enough that it will probably see a PSP-2.

Speaking of odds... what are the odds of Dragon Quests V-VI being translated and released on the DS? I'm playing IV right now and am loving it, so I hope the answer is 100%.

Yeah, it's done better than the Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan or Game Gear in terms of sales, in part because the industry has grown so much since Sega's heyday, and in part because it's a Sony product and carried the (up to the point of its release) nearly invincible PlayStation brand name.

But Sony expected it to do better than the DS when it came out. They thought their approach to consoles (optical media, product typically aimed at a male 16-34 year old demographic) would lead them to the same level of success as their previous gaming platforms.

It's a system that's not a failure financially or when compared to a lot of other handhelds, but it's far far less successful than Sony or some of their partners had expected of it, this is only magnified when compared to the astronomical sales of its primary competitor the DS.

It's a failure in much the same way the Nintendo 64 might be construed as a failure, despite being a profitable and good product, it was the first major endeavor (leaving out the virtual boy) that either company had not been the market leader in.

It doesn't mean it's a bad product, it's just well below its expectations.

As far as Dragon Quest goes, those were announced, I think V comes out around Spring next year in the US. However, Dragon Quest VI might not come out until after Dragon Quest IX in the US.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

In addition to the "PSP2" There were rumors of a 4th PSP model (come on! even the GBA only had 3 versions... and they were drastically different from each other) and currently Sony is pushing to sell the 3rd model they just released.

Even if they are working on a new model of the PSP they'd have to keep it very quiet because they know how that many people who are considering buying a PSP will wait for the new model.

It's not a bad system really, it's just that developers have neglected to support it with great games. Almost every game I own for it is available in some other system, and even exclusive games like God of War COO have similar games on PS2. Actually there aren't many other exclusive games... maybe Crisis Core and Daxter? The great Legend of Heroes games (if you like Lunar at all, I HIGHLY recommend trying any of the three... it's like Lunar if Falcom made it)

From a business standpoint it makes sense to either not release PSP games, or just port PS2 games with small file sizes like Outrun 2006. Or try to fit Ys Ark of Napishtim on a UMD with little success.

I enjoy my PSP because I put custom firmware on it and made it into sort of an ipod for video games. I have most of my library for nes, snes, genesis, sega cd, gba, and a few psx games all on a memory stick. It really is a lot like ripping a cd to listen to my music in the car or on my mp3 player, or at least that's the way I've been thinking of it and the way I feel it should be. Plus the slim model of PSP has a tv out which makes into something of a portable suer system that I can play all my favorite games on.

In the same way I buy albums of artists I like I also try to support developers. I bought Symphony of the Night from the Sony Playstation Network, and ripped my own from a PSX disc (because being the geek I am I like to customize my own menus and really personalize my PSP). Strangely enough the save files worked on both versions.

I want to find the article that I read it in, but a Sony representative even said that they liked a lot of what the homebrew community was doing, but they can't support it because it also opens the door to piracy.

Which is a huge problem because I really like the PSP games I have and want to see more being developed as well as more PSX ports, but that's not going to happen if everyone downloads the stuff without buying it.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, isn't the PS3 insanely more expensive than the Wii? And isn't the PSP insanely more expensive than the DS? In bad times, people want cheaper entertainment. Unless you're me, then you just buy anything that isn't nailed down.

Of course, maybe the economy has nothing to do with it, maybe the DS and the Wii had far better marketing and enjoyed being more popular.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote:Well, isn't the PS3 insanely more expensive than the Wii? And isn't the PSP insanely more expensive than the DS? In bad times, people want cheaper entertainment. Unless you're me, then you just buy anything that isn't nailed down.

Of course, maybe the economy has nothing to do with it, maybe the DS and the Wii had far better marketing and enjoyed being more popular.
I wouldn't say that the PSP is insanely more expensive when compared to the DS. There's only a 40 dollar difference between the two (at least now).

I'll agree that the DS has better marketing. I don't like their current campaign of showing celebrities playing the systems, but it's still better than the early PSP commercials with dust balls speaking in a stereotyped Mexican accent.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

phyco126 wrote:Well, isn't the PS3 insanely more expensive than the Wii?
True, but xbox360 is also one reason PS3 isn't selling much. Both are HD and have similar games. There aren't many PS3 exclusive titles and most of the ports end up better on xbox360. Not to mention its really cheap (cheaper than Wii).

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Sonix wrote: True, but xbox360 is also one reason PS3 isn't selling much. Both are HD and have similar games. There aren't many PS3 exclusive titles and most of the ports end up better on xbox360. Not to mention its really cheap (cheaper than Wii).
The PS3s poor sales have a lot to do with price. Microsoft has been agressive in both cutting the price of their console and bundling software to make it a better value. A consumer can buy an arcade model 360 for 200.00 that comes with a compilation of arcade games and Sega Superstars tennis. By comparison the cheapest PS3 model is double the price and comes with no games.

The economy plays into this to a certain degree, but regardless of it, the PS3 has its price to blame on its poor sales.

The Wii is doing well because it's targeting a market beyond the traditional video game audience.

Microsoft has been far more aggressive in the past 4 months at moving hardware, and while the PS3 was making gradual gains globally those have been eradicted in the past few months by the recent Xbox 360 price drops and bundling.

There isn't enough of a difference between the offerings on both platforms for the PS3 to be worth the extra money to most consumers. Blu-Ray despite winning the format war with HD-DVD has been slow to take off, and most big third party releases (outside of Metal Gear ) are going multiplatform.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I didn't deny price is a reason, because it is. I'm just saying xbox 360 has a lot to do with bad sales with PS3, I mean if there was no xbox360, ps3 would sell a lot better.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Sonix wrote:I didn't deny price is a reason, because it is. I'm just saying xbox 360 has a lot to do with bad sales with PS3, I mean if there was no xbox360, ps3 would sell a lot better.
Right, but that's the case with every generation. if there was no Genesis the TurboGrafx would have sold better, if there was no Playstation the Saturn would have sold better. That's always the case.