Growlanser PSP

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Growlanser PSP

Post by Imperial Knight »

So it seems that Atlus is making a slightly revamped port of the original Growlanser for the PSP. I don't know what the chances are, but I really do hope that Atlus USA decides to bring it over to North America. Growlanser is my favorite RPG series out there, and the first game just happens to be my favorite game in the series.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172613

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Growlanser PSP

Post by Alunissage »

That would actually be a reason for me to get a PSP. I'll have to remember this.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Last I knew, Sony was rejecting PSone (or same era) ports unless part of a large collection (or made by Sony themselves) or a substantial remake. Even Suikoden I and II was passed on by Sony for PSP.

Since the article mentions this is more of a standard port. I have trouble believing it will be approved by Sony to be published domestically.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

DragonmasterDan wrote:Last I knew, Sony was rejecting PSone (or same era) ports unless part of a large collection (or made by Sony themselves) or a substantial remake. Even Suikoden I and II was passed on by Sony for PSP.

Since the article mentions this is more of a standard port. I have trouble believing it will be approved by Sony to be published domestically.

This is exactly what makes me regret buying a PSP. I've enjoyed the older games they've brought out on it (Star Ocean, despite the revamp, FFTactics, Valkyrie Profile, and I've looked into getting Tales of Eternia and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature) but if they're only going to bring new games out on it then I may as well just sell it back in.

Hopefully they bring it out over here. I'm still smarting over Suikoden I and II getting passed over.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Atlus has been pretty consistent with localizing the PSP titles they publish in Japan. The only thing that I can think of that they didn't bring over here was a PSP port of Princess Crown but it was published before Odin Sphere was released here and was probably viewed as being more of a risk since it would be a PSP game with dated Saturn graphics.

They have officially announced that they are releasing a PSP remake of the original Persona for PS1. I'd be really surprised if this didn't come to America.

Edit:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if you join the Playstation Network you can get Suikoden I for $5.99 at the Sony store, but they REALLY need to start adding more PSX games to the store. They update the selection about once every 2-3 months where people have created custom firmware apps to convert a psx game to psp format in minutes. If anything I thought that would mean that Sony would flood the store with PSX games... but it didn't.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

As far as I know, this is a more extensive revamp than the Persona port, since it adds two new playable characters and supposedly some new story branches. Hopefully that'll be enough to get it past Sony, and hopefully Atlus is willing to try.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Imperial Knight wrote:As far as I know, this is a more extensive revamp than the Persona port, since it adds two new playable characters and supposedly some new story branches. Hopefully that'll be enough to get it past Sony, and hopefully Atlus is willing to try.
The news story said the exact opposite "Unlike the upcoming Persona redux, the PSP Growlanser appears to be much more of a standard port of the PlayStation original, without much in the realm of graphic upgrades or new features".

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

DragonmasterDan wrote:Last I knew, Sony was rejecting PSone (or same era) ports unless part of a large collection (or made by Sony themselves) or a substantial remake. Even Suikoden I and II was passed on by Sony for PSP.

Well, hopefully they'll budge on the rule, given that Growlanser hasn't been ported before (unlike the Suikodens).

If they did port it, I would seriously consider getting a PSP. The list of games I want has been steadily growing since Jeanne D'arc.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

DragonmasterDan wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:As far as I know, this is a more extensive revamp than the Persona port, since it adds two new playable characters and supposedly some new story branches. Hopefully that'll be enough to get it past Sony, and hopefully Atlus is willing to try.
The news story said the exact opposite "Unlike the upcoming Persona redux, the PSP Growlanser appears to be much more of a standard port of the PlayStation original, without much in the realm of graphic upgrades or new features".
The news article is wrong, or at best misleading. In retrospect, I should have linked a more accurate story, but that one was the first one I saw and I had forgotten about the inaccuracies.

This page has a pretty good description of what is known so far about the game.

http://www.growlanser-realm.com/gl1/gl1psp.htm

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Everyone wants to see the games they loved ported to the PSP, but something to consider, perhaps Sony doesn't want to for fear of making too many products available, leading to the next great Video Game crash? It takes money to port, manufacture, etc, and if the market it flooded, especially in a poor economy, then wouldn't that just mean massive monetary losses when people fail to buy?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

But... a lot has changed since the last video game crash. The majority of media has entered into the paradigm of "narrowcasting." This basically means that media is now targeted towards certain groups of people rather than the population as a whole. For instance, my ability to buy an Arcade Fire album (or whatever band hipsters are ironically enjoying these days...) album does not affect someone else's ability to buy a Britney Spears album.

In a similar way, one section on a shelf for JRPGs does not endanger the EA Sports. The sooner that companies realize this, the healthier the industry will be.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I don't understand why Sony would want to restrict the games being released for the
PSP instead of encouraging the opposite. There was an article I read a few months ago ranking the order of the likelihood of a game company to release a game for specific system with DS titles fairily high and the PS3 at the bottom with the PSP dead last.

The result of this is that the DS gets all kinds of great games, and the PSP has a lot of "safe" games that are either remakes or ports of games for other systems.

Some of my PSP games for example:Samurai Warriors, Crazy Taxi, Valkyrie Profile, Castlevania Drac X Chronicles, God of War, and Crisis Core. Out of all those the only games that aren't available for another system are God of War and Crisis Core which are both high budget projects in franchises that are almost guaranteed to sell. There are few risks taken which is why it's nice to find the few original games for PSP like the Legend of Heroes series.

Sony needs more quality PSP games, so again, why would they prevent localization of any title?

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

It would be amazing(and somewhat hilarious) if Gaijinworks got ahold of this in case Atlus turns it down.

As long as it comes out here somehow, I'm happy.