How did you get into gaming?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

How did you get into gaming?

Post by LunarRaptor »

Spiritual successor of "How did you get introduced to Lunar?", this is also exactly what it says on the tin.

I got into gaming relatively late (about age ten :shock: ). I had played the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES at an aunt's house, but that was about it. Then I got the Super NES for a birthday along with Super Metroid and Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. Been hooked ever since. You?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: How did you get into gaming?

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've been exposed to video games since I was a baby. Of course, I don't remember it since I was a baby, but that's what I've been told.

My dad would play his NES all the time, and I would watch him play as a kid. One day, when I was about 3 (or somewhere around there), he asked me to play Super Mario Brothers. I remember saying "No daddy, it's too hard.", but he made me try anyway. I've been playing games ever since. XD

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I'm not quite sure but since I remember my brother had a gameboy and we had an old PC. Super Mario Land and Prince of Persia (DOS) were first games I remember. Mid 90's probably.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Ever since I was an infant...I have older siblings who all played video games, so naturally I got into them before I even had proper control of my motor skills. My first game was probably either Sonic 2 or Buster's Hidden Treasure (Tiny Toons - man, I miss that series), but I don't remember.

It's sort of strange to think that I've been gaming since before I can even remember :shock: Even weirder, there are games I've been playing for almost 20 years! I feel old...

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

My dad had an Intellivision back when I was really little. That was my first gaming experience. Still have it, in fact. Then we got a Commodore 64... that was a true gaming machine (I know Sonic# and some others will back me up on that). Then the NES. I didn't get into RPGs until the SNES though. A Link to the Past did it (even if it was an action RPG).
-G1

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Hugo text adventures on my dads Commodore 64. Was awesome.:|
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

I was born with Nintendo controllers in my hands and Sesame Street: Big Bird's Hide & Speak in my soul. ;)

True story.

Also, my brother had a hard-on for Star Wars, and I had a huge crush on Luke, so... I played it a lot. That and The Little Mermaid. The rest... it is history! Only recently beat Zelda like, 5 years ago.

Speaking of Nintendo, how freaking hard were Jaws and Friday the 13th!? I mean, really. -Dung Beetle-.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Maru wrote: ...and I had a huge crush on Luke, so... I played it a lot.
Until you learned that Luke was actually your brother, right?

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

Werefrog wrote:
Maru wrote: ...and I had a huge crush on Luke, so... I played it a lot.
Until you learned that Luke was actually your brother, right?
Psh, like that would stop me. (Although, re-reading that, the statement was super awkward and kind of makes me want to gouge my eyeballs out.)

For the record, Han is more of a heart-throb to me now, but Luke will always have a place in my heart. And vagina. (The things we name our vibrators...)

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

We had an Atari 2600 (and a generic home pong) when I was a little kid. I didn't really play either that much, they were actually my dads.

A neighbor of mine got an NES when I was about 4 or 5 and I liked it. I got one for Christmas that year and that's when I became interested in games after pouring countless hours in my single digit numbered years of life into games like Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Punch Out, Metroid, Kid Icarus among many others.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

My siblings and I used to have an NES as children that my older brother and sister would play Mario, Duck Hunt and Bubble Bobble on. However, I don't think I joined in the video game playing until we received a Sega Genesis. I remember very distinctly playing games such as Golden Axe, Jurassic Park, Lion King, Ecco the Dolphin and of course; Sonic the Hedgehog. That was my sister's big introduction to Sonic, and she's still to this day a hardcore blue hedgehog nerd. :P

My love for gaming continued when pokemon was released on Gameboy Pocket/Color. Also my family had purchased a Playstation console and a N64. I had a lot of fun playing more Pokemon games on the N64 with my younger brother. But it was my older brother getting Zelda: Ocarina of Time that got me really hooked on gaming. I fell in love with the RPG genre, and RPGs on the Playstation such as FFVIII, Chrono Cross, and Lunar SSSC pulled me in further. And being such a young age where fantasy stories absolutely enraptured me, I took a special shine to Lunar. :wink:

Anyway, the rest is history I guess. With each new console I got sucked in more and more. :P I <3 gaming~
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

My siblings and I used to have an NES as children that my older brother and sister would play Mario, Duck Hunt and Bubble Bobble on.
I used to love playing Bubble Bobble as a child; that brought back some great memories. I was a Nintendo kid that was obsessed with the first three Mario games, and it sort of influenced where I am in life today. I was, and still am fascinated by interactivity - that something can react to something you do, and what it can do as a medium. Games work in a different way than movies, books, and other media in terms of storytelling but there are moments that are more powerful because of the medium used.

Like in Lunar 1 (minor) At the end where you are in control of Alex and decide whether he walks up the steps, or plays his Ocarina. If you just watched or read about it it wouldn't be the same, and might not have had as much of an emotional impact.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, first I was introduced to computer games back when computers were around $4,000 each... we didn't have one ourselves though, so what little we played was generally when we visited family friends or father's co-workers (they all made good money).

Then somewhere along the line we got this video game system that plugged into the TV, and like, you could color pictures with it and stuff. I barely remember it, mostly because it was stolen when our house was broken into. 3 times. In a row. In one week.

Then while dad was away and both parents were busy getting a divorce, the next door neigherbors had a Sega Genenisis (the first model with the crappy games, before they got better). A uncle also had the Game Gear (which still beats the pants off the old Game Boy) and a sega (newer, with slightly better games. Sonic FTW!). Eventually we also borrowed his NES.

When we moved to Colorado, I was bought a Sega for my birthday (back when it was still $109 a pop at walmart!). I played Risk, Star Trek DS9, Sonic pinball, and Star Flight (<--- best game for the sega ever).

Eventually we got a working computer (monochrom 1980s ftw!) that could play Wheel of Fortune, Family Fued, and Friday the 13th (aka nightmare on elms street). I miss that thing.

At somepoint my bestfriend joined the Army and he bought me a PSX for my birthday, along with Command and Conquer: Retaliation, a memory card, and a PSX mouse. The mouse fried, the memory card got lost a couple years down the road, but I still had the game and the consol! Eventually I was introduced to Lunar by my bestfriend who then gave me the game. I bought Lunar 2 later. I also bought/recieved GTA2, C&C, Rhapsody: A musical adventure, GT2, Warzone 2100, 3 sample disks, FFVII, and a couple others.

For my birthday during high school, my mom bought me a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Silver. Before that I was using my cousin's Game Boy to play Pokemon Yellow, which I aquired from him thanks to him breaking a $99 CD player. >=( I got into trouble for that trade. Gay.

Eventually I recieved a couple more games for the GBC, but none as great as Pokemon Silver.

We moved into an apartment from my grandmothers, and it was then that I recieved my first modern computer. And the internet. The world was forever scarred. I discovered LNet and real computer gaming, with the likes of C&C series and my introduction to The Elder Scrolls series. By this time I had already been playing other systems and games via friends as well. Christmas 2001, I got a Game Boy Advance, Lunar: Legend (one import, one local), and a bunch of uber kick arse games. The GBA is still my favorite portable system.

Eventually in life I got the PSP, even more powerful PCs, laptops, Xboxs, etc etc etc.

Sooner or later, I will get my Xbox 360, PS3, and a kick arse flat screen and surround sound to boot!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

well i first started playing games when i was 3, my dad had 2 arcade games, a racing and shooting one, he also had NES and SNES that i would play everyonce in awhile. A few of my childhood friends played games too and i would play with them alot. But i think the main thing that got me into gaming besides my dad, was watching my cousin play all these Rpg's, Including Lunar.