Tetris Anyone?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Tetris Anyone?

Post by Werefrog »

So... about four weeks ago I re-discovered Tetris. I forgot how addictive it could be. I was interested if anyone wanted to start comparing scores.
http://www.tetrisfriends.com/

My favorite game is Tetris Marathon. I have to admit though, I'm pretty good (currently ranked 73rd in the state of Indiana). Also, Tetris Sprint is really good if you just have a few minutes between classes or if you want to take a brief break (it shouldn't take more than 4.5 minutes per game even when you first).

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Tetris Anyone?

Post by phyco126 »

I suck at Tetris, actually. However, every once in a blue moon I will play a tetris clone online to pass some time.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I love tetris, suck at it though. Every once in awhile I'll steal my Nanas phone to play it. Its an addicting game, with annoyingly great music that gets stuck in your head. :D

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I love tetris! It's a really great thing to do when I'm bored. I play it on my cell phone all the time, in fact, it's the only game I have on my cell phone. XD

I'm decent at tetris. I'm not really bad, nor am I really good. I'm about average I guess. I prefer the marathon version too. I'll need to play this website more though. I'm out of practice right now! *sweatdrop*

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

my friend has a high score like 700,000 or so, i know i could beat him but so far i've only gotten about 150k the problem is i can't seem to figure out how to do t-spins. i've watched a bunch of videos of them but when ever i try the set up i end up doing a wall kick and lose the piece. Its a real pain because it takes a few mins to get the set up right then i end up screwing it all up and have to restart so its not really practical to practice it over and over because its so frustrating. Any of you guys know how to do T-spins that could let me in on the secret. So far i i really know is to rotate right and then rotate left into the slot but i think i would need to move it right or left at the same time maybe.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... I'm not very good at T-Spins myself. The few times that I've done them have been on accident mostly. The that you rotate it though depends on how you've set up the T-spin. I'm having trouble imagining the different scenarios. I think it's something that you just have to get a feel for.

Edit: Okay. I just did one on purpose. The way that I did it was to set it up so there was a t-shape gap that was covered up by another block. I turned the t-shape block so it would go past the initial impediment and then I rotated it so it would fit in place. I think that your problem may be in the way that you're setting it up rather than in rotating. Just an idea.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

*snort* I'm terrible at Tetris. Or at least feel my lack of skill next to the real virtuosos.

I got 3.13.93 for the sprint one the first time, 2.59.98 the second time, and 3.12.08 a third. Whew.

I need to figure out some optimization functions. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

im starting to get the hang of them now, ive been working on it all day but my score is actually lower than what it used to be so i need to get the t spins more efficiently.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

exigence wrote:im starting to get the hang of them now, ive been working on it all day but my score is actually lower than what it used to be so i need to get the t spins more efficiently.
Are you setting up tetrises as well (that's when you clear four lines at once in case you're not familiar with the lingo)? You should be trying to set up situations where you can get two tetrises at right in a row. The best way to it to leave a gap that the long block can fit into either to very farthest left (or on the opposite end). Then when you see the long block, you can press shift to store it. Then the next long one you get use that to create a tetris. After that take out the one you have stored to create a second tetris.

Edit: Sorry if you knew all that already. I'm sure that you already know how to create a Tetris, but you may not be familiar with creating two tetrises in a row.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

thats was what i was doing before i figured out t-spins, but the setup for those and tetrises doesn't quite work out for me, its just gonna take more practice me thinks.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

exigence wrote:thats was what i was doing before i figured out t-spins, but the setup for those and tetrises doesn't quite work out for me, its just gonna take more practice me thinks.
Yeah, to get the high scores on marathon, you really need to finish marathon. You'll probably get a score of about 650,000 if you're doing the tetrises well :). I would suggest getting to the point where you can finish marathon and then refine your technique with t-spins to get the score higher.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I always went by the number of lines rather than the score. I had over 400 lines once and paused it because I couldn't hold back having to piss any longer. Turns out, you can't just unpause it and keep going at that speed. I CAN'T anyway.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It crashes Safari on my Mac every time I try and load it up. I'll have to finally break down and get another browser on this laptop I guess.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote: It crashes Safari on my Mac every time I try and load it up. I'll have to finally break down and get another browser on this laptop I guess.
I loaded it up and played a round on my Mac just fine.

For reference, I'm using Safari 4.0.2 and Flash Player 10.0.22.87 on Mac OS X 10.5.7.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Prolly should update. I'm still running 3.0.2 and I've noticed it crashing randomly about twice a week.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:Prolly should update. I'm still running 3.0.2 and I've noticed it crashing randomly about twice a week.
I would definitely advise updating (as well as Flash and the OS itself too).
I make pretty heavy use of Safari, and v4 runs much better for me.

Are you going to get Snow Leopard (10.6)? Not a bad deal at $29!

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Sheesh. How you get such high scores, I dont know. My high on Marathon is just under 100k.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Eh, gettin' closer. ;)

"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Once you get used to the faster speeds, your score will skyrocket.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Once in a while, when the planet's alignment is in perfect harmony with the moon or whatever, I yern to play old games. There have been times I've even dusted off the old Master System 2 just to play a game of Alex the Kidd for the lulz.

Tetris was one of the first games I ever got good at and I made it to the rocket ship once in my life. Many years later with a hand-eye coordination of an Alzheimer's paitent that vaugly remembers sign language, I can't seem to get my brain and hands to work anymore. I can get pretty far ahead, but it's a laughable score at best, so I dare not try.