Dilemma

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dilemma

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I don't know if it's a sign of my age or maybe I've just played too many RPGs, but for the life of me I can't stay interested in the ones I've been trying lately. I ended up selling Shadow Hearts 2, Arc the Lad Collection, FFX-2, Lost Odyssey and many others without even coming close to beating them because I just knew I was not going to play through them. I even sold Suikoden Tierkreis, the first Suikoden game I actually gave up on.

I've kept and tried others like FF12, Fable 2, and Black Sigil but I just can't stick with them, either. The only RPGs I've played through in the last year were Mass Effect, the Chrono Trigger re-release, and Dragon Quest IV.

I guess my question would be are there any recent RPGs that anyone found particular fun, engaging and memorable, or is anyone else going through the same sort of dilemma?

I got a PSP recently because Lunar was announced for it and there were some other games I wanted to play. I hope I don't give up on that one, too.
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: Dilemma

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Your interests change as you get older. I have no idea why it happens BEFORE you're comfortable with it.

Maybe you're just in a rut. What else is going on in your life that may be responsible for your different mood?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm with you. i don't think Lunar will be a problem, but I think it's just the way RPGs are now. They seem different. BG is right in that I think it's an age thing, but it seems like I just wait for my main series to come out (Suikoden, Chrono, Lunar). Even FFXII, I gave up on towards the end. It just felt like a chore with a boring story.

In my case, I also think it's because I have so much going on that I don't have the time.
-G1

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

I'm not sure. I work, of course, though I have more free time than I did in high school, when I used to play the heck out of games. I find I get bored of games, anime, and books easily these days. I'll watch the heck out of tv dramas like Rome or more recently, Dexter. They're almost the only thing that 'hooks' me these days.
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Your interests change as you get older. I have no idea why it happens BEFORE you're comfortable with it.

Maybe you're just in a rut. What else is going on in your life that may be responsible for your different mood?

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Yeah, those are the main three for me, too. And I'll play Zelda, too. I only got about eight hours into FF12 before getting bored with it. I'm not sure what it is, but yeah, RPGs don't seem to captivate me like they used to. I'm tempted to just go back and play my older games.
GhaleonOne wrote:I'm with you. i don't think Lunar will be a problem, but I think it's just the way RPGs are now. They seem different. BG is right in that I think it's an age thing, but it seems like I just wait for my main series to come out (Suikoden, Chrono, Lunar). Even FFXII, I gave up on towards the end. It just felt like a chore with a boring story.

In my case, I also think it's because I have so much going on that I don't have the time.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The only RPG I think I have ever beaten (not just once, but multiple times too), was SSSC. I never did beat EBC (well, I did, but I had to cheat to beat Zophar so I don't count it as an actual win). Of the other games I've played, I haven't beaten very many. FFVII, War Zone 2100, Guitar Heros, Left 4 Dead, Lego Indiana Jones, Kung Foo Panda, Sacred, Age of Wonders, Morrowind, etc...

Even worse, I find myself disinterested in games compared to the past. Part of the reason, of course, is that more than an hour of gaming kills my hands, but even if my hands didn't hurt I will sometimes get bored. In the end, it makes me very sad and angry that I can no longer enjoy hardcore gaming as I once did. What is wrong with me?!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

For me, it's not that I don't love RPGs anymore, it's that the RPGs companies are making these days suck. They've strayed waaaaay too far from the basics.
-Nobi

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Part of it is also that RPGs used to be uncommon in America. They used to be a niche genre with only a few RPGs a year, and until 1998 or so that was the case. So we enjoyed what made it to the US since there were so few RPGs released here and they were generally some of the better RPGs from Japan.

Also worth noting is that lots of games we wouldn't call RPGs today were considered RPG hybrids because so few traditional RPGs came out. That changed in the late 90s, we started getting tons of RPGs and quite frankly they're almost always the same set of 6 or 7 basic plots with pieces here or there changed. You know the RPG templates, there's only a few of them that seem used on almost every single game.

A group of ______ (Children, Adventurers, Former Military Warriors) has secretly discovered that a _________ (secret weapon, magical power) exists that can overthrow the ________ (evil government, tyrannical corporation, horrible overload).

I think that's a lot of what has led to my general disinterest. When I find games with different plots or unique qualities (see Dragon Quest) my interest returns, but so many games have become cookie cutter copies of one another that the uniqueness of RPGs has waned.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I used to find myself facinated by the JRPGs that were released here in America. However, now I find myself more into Western RPGs such as your Fable and your Fallout. To me, it's just become like jumping through hoops. We're going through the same dodgy story every single time and it gets boring. Only few JRPGs seem to break the regular mold.

I've looked at the library for the 360/PS3/Wii/PC and found that a lot of the JRPGs, while they look nice, are really just the same old same old.

As a matter of fact, games in general are starting to repeat other games and there's little variety this time around. Look at the last E3 line up. There were enough sequals to make Rocky sweat. I thought I was taking a math quiz with so many numbers flying around. There just aren't enough new IPs being thrown into the pot, it's only now that we see some rays of light piercing the dismal clouds that has been this year in gaming.

But, for games, it's always been about the fun. It's fun to be taken through a joyride roller coaster story that you are in control of. It's always been, but recently it's been more on story and less on fun it seems. Gaming now seems more like a job than it does a means to entertain one's self. Could just be me though.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I'm going through the same thing. I can't seem to keep myself interested in any RPGs I've started lately. The only exception is the Tales of games, I manage to keep my interest with Dawn of the New World and Vesperia couple of months ago. Other RPGs I just end up stopping and either not going back to them again, or come back like 2 years later to it. I can't bring myself to even get past the first 5 hours of FFXII. It's so BORING! Then again, half of the newer RPGs I've played lately are ICK. I think it may just be some of the new RPGs aren't what RPGs used to be for me.

Actually, I've been into other games that aren't RPGs lately. I used to be such an RPGamer, but now it seems all I want to do is play action games, adventure games, or fighting games. o_o

lady465
Meribian Merchant

Post by lady465 »

Dark_Fairy wrote:Actually, I've been into other games that aren't RPGs lately. I used to be such an RPGamer, but now it seems all I want to do is play action games, adventure games, or fighting games. o_o
I've been the same way. If you look at my collection of older games there's pretty much nothing but RPGs but if you look at what I have for the new systems they're pretty much nonexistent. There just haven't been a lot of new RPGs that have peaked my interest enough to go buy them.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I don't particularly like the trends in JRPGs right now, but I like the western-style RPGs even less, and the genres that are hot right now less still. I've decided that this is a bad decade for me; I'm kicking back and hoping for better luck in a few years. :D
「まあいいけど。」

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

AlasdairPalemoon wrote:Dexter

This is the most amazingly awesome show on TV. I'm extremely excited for season 4 to start on September 27th.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Oblivion was the last "new" RPG I beat and that was 3 years ago I think. I thought I was getting sick of games in general, then I bought the SEGA collection back in March and since then I beat Phantasy star 4, Shining force II and Beyond Oasis. All 3 games were really fun and most of the reason was that it was simple and easy to get into. I think I just like 2d games more. As an adult I dont have as much time to get too involved with games anymore.

FrozenInTheLights
Burg Farmer

Post by FrozenInTheLights »

The problem with these new "rpgs" are that they really aren't true "rpgs." The gaming industry has changed so much and everyone has become obsessed with everything but good rpgs.

sad for us, great money for those companies who make the other games

Esp. Halo 3, call of duty, etc...

Thats what's "popular" now :(

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

So you guys have actually beaten ALL of the SNES, Genesis, PS1 and PS2 RPGs that you ever displayed an interest in? If you don't like what's out now...go retro and beat the games you wanted to play but didn't get around to.

Look up translated SNES jrpgs that didn't make it to america. Treasures Of The Rudra is a good one.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Good thing I missed RPG's from SNES-PS2 era. Mostly because most never made it to Europe. I now have lots to play so I'm good :)
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

To me, there is another factor. Time. I certainly know I don't want to dump 80+ hours of time into something that I wont feel some sense of accomplishment. Not to mention the money for games. It's come to the point where you're either playing a Doom clone, an FF clone or a God of War clone. (Naturally there are more but this post is coming from my phone but it's a pain to type on.)

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I'm glad I don't have this problem. I still love games as much as I always did, and even now I'm always replaying the classics. Recently I've been replaying Xenosaga III, Disgaea/2, Phantom Brave and some other somewhat new PS2 releases because I don't have any money to buy new games right now. I haven't had any trouble getting into newer RPGs though - I had a blast with Persona 3, Persona 4, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, etc.

I'm still young though. Well at least if memory serves I think 22 is somewhat young around here. I think I'd be really sad if I started to lose interest in RPGs. They are my fantasy escape. Life would be too real and boring and uneventful without my adventures with Alex, Hiro, Laharl, etc. :cry:
- Mike