What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Alunissage »

I definitely have had trouble with Master Quest 3D being flipped. Kakariko Town drives me nuts. I stopped at the beginning of Dodongo's Cavern (got distracted by some other game) on that version so i haven't yet seen what, say, the Gerudo Fortress is like flipped.

Re Twilight Princess being flipped, a friend of mine was one of the writers of the NP guide. He was working off the Wii version while his co-writer was working off of the GC version. They had to label their monitors with "west" and "east" (with the GC labels being reversed) to help text consistency, and eventually one of them proposed just calling them both "weast".

It's been years since I played MM but yeah, I remember rather delightfully complex dungeons. I stopped just inside the last temple (Stone?), which is a shame as I'd been looking forward to that one all game. I did have to have my sister play through most of the water one because of the motion sickness though, which made me sad as that kind of dungeon with switches and directions usually is pretty fun for me. (Dunno why that game in particular was so bad for me when I adapted just fine to Ocarina and didn't have much trouble with the motion of WW and TP. I did have some problems with Skyward Sword, but that was probably because I was watching rather than playing due to my arm being broken...another reason to prefer the more traditional controllers.)

I wonder if MM will ever show up on 3DS. Ocarina was much easier in some regards on it -- the horseback archery in particular, since you could aim by moving the whole system rather than it just being your thumb. That's the one minigame I could never do more than the minimum for (the piece of heart, but not the quiver) on the console version(s).

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Today I decided to re-play Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition.
Then I played Animal Crossing: NL just long enough to work on another Lucia PRO Design. ^__^b

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

LuNaRtIc wrote: Is it just me, or are the dungeons and temples in Majora's Mask more complicated than in other games? Snowhead Temple wasn't insanely difficult, but the criss-crossing floor levels could be frustrating at times. I will say that the dungeon boss, Goht, was probably my favorite battle though. So much fun! :)
I haven't played it in a long time so i don't remember everything that well, i found Woodfall Temple to be good this play through, but i kind of remember struggling with Snowhead and Great Bay, and a few other things, I hardly even remember Snowhead and i don't want to do it lol. I'm curious to see if they're as hard as a remember.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

I find the Zelda series to be too scary... which is weird because everyone I know harps on about it being universally-friendly? I've beaten like one but I'm planning on playing them more. I've always liked Link, I guess, he's kind of 70s-ish-looking. Oh, and the animated series was great. I ALWAYS woke up at 5:45 in the morning literally every Sunday to watch all those videogame cartoons.

Erm, played Harvest Moon and felt completely sick all over... I like the premise but made me feel I'd rather be fit plowing an actual dirt patch in my real life.

I'm so impressed by Arc the Lad III's in-game movies. I think they rival Final Fantasy (and I pretty much think they're better *giggle*).

Oh, I meant to post about how the end-game of Arc the Lad II being so awesome. I'm a stickler about spoilers so if I'm allowed to I'll edit it into this post for anyone to stumble upon. My edits never show up but here we go:  Basically, I was so tired by the time I got to the Dark One. Meaning, I was already in the ninety-hour mark as I faced him and I wasn't prepared at all, having the strategy guide and everything, to boot. I thought I was playing so well in terms of funning around giving every character the chance to fight and I was way, way under-leveled. The official strategy guide suggests being within the hundred-and-tens (are they serious) and my highest-leveled character was only in their mid-nineties - Sania.

I was totally feeling so unsupported by the travel guide but it's okay. Gathering my wits about me, I just plopped Elc in front of both forms (it has two) of the Dark One and kept on transferring Sania's turn to an invincible Elc. I kept doing that and it took two and a half hours to finish the game. I didn't have any Magic Apples as no shop in-game carries them. I liked the ending a lot, though! It's shocking.

I'm just in a major relaxed mood so I've posting a lot more lately. I hope nobody minds. Playing Arc the Lad III still... I think it's better than the sequel but I still favor the first installment at the moment. The graphics I really, really, really like for the PlayStation.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Just started up .Hack//Infection on the PS2 again. I ended up stopping right at the beginning out .Hack//Outbreak back in the day when the games were first released. Never got back around to playing the games, and then I discovered a few years ago I must have lost the memory card with my data on it. So...I finally decided to restart the series. I kinda want to beat the games this time around given that .Hack//Infection has a fond place in my heart, being my first PS2 game I ever owned. :P

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've been playing FF8 for the PC. This is the first time I've visited it in over 10 years, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I've been taking it slowly, especially with trying to draw magic to the maximum, playing lots of Triple Triad, and using stat boosts to my advantage.

I have also been playing a game of Fortune Street every couple of days. This is the economy board game that blends Nintendo and Dragon Quest characters. I played it with my brother every day while visiting him - it's like taking the random events of Mario Party, scooping out most of the minigames, adding a fairly detailed property-buying and stock portion to the game, and adding slimes. Some of the board designs are really clever - the Robbin Hood one looks linear on paper but wraps on itself with teleporters; one map has several switches that break apart the map when they're used, isolating the otherwise connected portions into islands. It is possible to have really bad rolls and lose, but most games smart investing gives even an unlucky player a fighting chance.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

I'm afraid of myself that I actually like .Hack. I love the storyline, I think it's a very modern story. I loved the opening poetry class recital, hehe. The cast was growing on me so much especially in the first installment. I like a random player like Mistral over any other character and that can carry a game for me personally because I can just ask her to help fight. The only thing I'm iffy on is that I used that stupid move thingy over and over and I think it performed Lasik surgery on my eyes. I like it, though. It's cool...

The anime that came with it was fantastic. There were so many laugh-out-loud moments that stick to you. LOL More games should include an extra like that.

^ I can't believe anyone would still be playing Final Fantasy VIII. I've beaten that game like twice and it was enough for me. It's secretly my favorite over Final Fantasy VII but I'm not gonna utter that out loud. I loved the characters, though. Triple Triad is the only reason worth playing it. Just get all the ultimate weapons and move along from that specific game. 8-)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Bravely Default demo. I think I need to preorder this game.
「まあいいけど。」

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Downloaded the Minecraft demo on PS3 to see what the noise was about. 5 minutes in I said, this whole thing is pointless. 1 week later, I'm having friends plead with me to open my front door...

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

Are you all currently updated because I can't fathom playing so many new games when there's so many good games out there still. Just the PlayStation alone has a lot of significant game titles. And, I'm going into withdrawals with SEGA. I love kind of working my way up to better and better graphics. There's so many games I've missed out on and it's fun going back and checking them off somewhat. I think it's funny as Hell 'cause I feel as if I've been a solid gamer even with having such a humble amount of videogames. I think it's cool peeking into the online communities and saying hello, this is what I think of the game, etc. 8-)

I'm chilling out on Arc the Lad III for the time being because I've gone back to the unblinking gamer mode. LOL

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

TempestOne wrote:I'm afraid of myself that I actually like .Hack. I love the storyline, I think it's a very modern story. I loved the opening poetry class recital, hehe. The cast was growing on me so much especially in the first installment. I like a random player like Mistral over any other character and that can carry a game for me personally because I can just ask her to help fight. The only thing I'm iffy on is that I used that stupid move thingy over and over and I think it performed Lasik surgery on my eyes. I like it, though. It's cool...
Mistral has the most obnoxious voice in the game, lol! She sounds like a chipmunk! I don't really want to turn Japanese audio on though. She's not bad as a character though. I don't remember who I used back in the day in my party, but the wavemasters seem to die fairly easily...at least where I'm at in the game...don't remember if they always died that badly. So for now, I've been sticking with Blackrose, and switching out randomly between some of the other physical attackers.
TempestOne wrote:Are you all currently updated because I can't fathom playing so many new games when there's so many good games out there still. Just the PlayStation alone has a lot of significant game titles. And, I'm going into withdrawals with SEGA. I love kind of working
I don't want to even go into how much I'm not caught up, lol. Especially on the Playstation. I still need to play so many of the RPGs sitting on my shelf, like the Arc the Lad Collection and Xenogears...to name the ones I've never even started playing. Then you have the ones I started in the middle of and never finished, like Star Ocean Second Story (which is a WONDERFUL game...I need to finish it), Final Fantasy Tatics, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia...and the list goes on. And that's only PS1 games. Let's not get into my other games on my other systems...

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

I like calling on Mistral because she'd type like this all the time. :D I thought her personality was more helpful than anything/anyone else. By the time I even got Piros, I leveled up all of her healing moves so she was very helpful. The Wavemasters I preferred because they were the only ones to have enough magic to keep healing constantly. Themselves, other party members. I stuck her as a straight-up curer and she went all the way to the end with me. I didn't mind her voice, I actually liked it. And, I didn't know there was a Japanese dub at all.

I'm not too bad with the PlayStation. I'm on Arc the Lad III right now and it's pretty good. I've always been looking forward to it since I was a child. I used to have Xenogears but a friend has it right now along with the strategy guide... it's been years, though. I have it downloaded on my PlayStation 3. You should really, really get into Star Ocean the Second Story. It's one of my favorites and totally playable again and again. Final Fantasy Tactics, I've beaten like twice for the PSX, it's always fun. I need to get FFT: War of the Lions. Legend of Dragoon is one of my favorites along with Legend of Legaia. They're on equal footing with me, leaning slightly towards Dragoon as a standalone and Legaia as a series. I say take your time and enjoy the games. I waste too much time and play them over and over, hehe. LOL

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

TempestOne wrote:I like calling on Mistral because she'd type like this all the time. :D I thought her personality was more helpful than anything/anyone else. By the time I even got Piros, I leveled up all of her healing moves so she was very helpful. The Wavemasters I preferred because they were the only ones to have enough magic to keep healing constantly. Themselves, other party members. I stuck her as a straight-up curer and she went all the way to the end with me. I didn't mind her voice, I actually liked it. And, I didn't know there was a Japanese dub at all.

I'm not too bad with the PlayStation. I'm on Arc the Lad III right now and it's pretty good. I've always been looking forward to it since I was a child. I used to have Xenogears but a friend has it right now along with the strategy guide... it's been years, though. I have it downloaded on my PlayStation 3. You should really, really get into Star Ocean the Second Story. It's one of my favorites and totally playable again and again. Final Fantasy Tactics, I've beaten like twice for the PSX, it's always fun. I need to get FFT: War of the Lions. Legend of Dragoon is one of my favorites along with Legend of Legaia. They're on equal footing with me, leaning slightly towards Dragoon as a standalone and Legaia as a series. I say take your time and enjoy the games. I waste too much time and play them over and over, hehe. LOL
Maybe in some of the later games Wavemasters will be more useful to me, but right now, it's more useful to me to use all physical party members. And yeah, there is an option to change the voice acting to Japanese. I also turn off the animation to the data drain too, cause it's gets annoying to sit through that a million times, lol.

Also, I am into Star Ocean 2. It's one of my favorite PS1 games! I've just never gotten around to fully beating it. Each time I start it, I end up in the middle of disc 2...and I never beat it! It doesn't help that I'll have to play through the game twice, cause I eventually need to play as Claude since I always choose Rena.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

I liked everything about .Hack. So blasphemous. Don't forget to stock them with good items! That was a big help for me.

You can totally get to Disc 2 in a day, I've done it before. I think I always used Claude 'cause I just forget who I picked before. One of the things that helped me out a ton in that game is just leveling up their Killer Moves in order all the way through. They level up in doses and get more powerful, even the magic attacks/spells. Um, the item creation is cool but not integral. It's a fun distraction IF you're just wanting to finish the story. I can usually get through any RPG if you just take your time. Another useful tip is just leaving the main character you chose in. If I really have a difficult time I just stick the early characters in since they've been there since the beginning.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I used to play the .Hack series for hours on end back when I was in high school. I loved coming home on a bad day, firing up the PS2 and getting lost in the story. :) Elk and Tsukasa were my favorites!

I have an urge to play Chrono Cross now... but I still have a Zelda marathon to power through and I recently got my hands on a copy of Project Zero 2 for the Wii! It seems that I rarely play games all the way through these days without skipping around to other ones lol. Does anyone else have that problem? :)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Yup, I'm the same way as well... I skip around games waaaaayyyy too much. This is why I have so many games unbeaten. >__<'

Still working on .Hack, just got to Mutation a few days ago. If I keep up the pace, I should eventually get back to Outbreak where I quit all those years ago! :D

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I've been playing Xenogears almost nonstop. Really love that game so far, and I'm about to enter Solaris. I beat FF7 (the original, NOT the Complication) for the second time a little while ago, and in my opinion, despite what haters may claim, it still holds up today as a great game.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

What really surprised me when I replayed FFVII a couple of years ago was how well specifically the graphics have held up. I sort of had what you might call "reverse nostalgia" going into it where I remembered the graphics as being really ugly due to the low poly character models. Indeed, those character models do look terrible, at least close up, but Square had the good sense to keep the camera zoomed far enough out most of the time that they look OK, and those pre rendered backgrounds are still gorgeous (if not always super functional).

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Still playing FF8 - on the second disk. Battles are so easy thanks to junctioning powerful magic (Quake! Blizzaga!) to stats, a fact I'm still enjoying.

I've also been playing a bit of the original Geneforge, a shareware RPG. In it, you play a Shaper (a member of a creature-creating order) who has been stranded on an island Barred from contact. It's all about figuring out how to negotiate the abandoned island and freed creations to get off the island. I hadn't played it before, though I'd played other games the developer had made - Avernum, Avadon. It is well-written in the sense that Ultima VI was well-written - a compelling, thoughtful scenario, interesting NPCs, and not too much specificity.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I recently got Secret of Mana on the SNES around the holidays. It's been years since I've played it on a legit console (played it some on an emulator) and it's one of my favorite 16-bit titles. I beat it this week again. Moving on to some more SNES nostalgia.