What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I finished the Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS (I started a decade ago on my regular DS; I took a lot of breaks!) I felt the last case really wrapped up the series well. I know there are more by different staff, I'll check out Apollo Justice and beyond eventually. Between Ace Attorney and YU-NO (discussed earlier) I think these are good examples of Visual Novels that aren't extremely linear. Also Phoenix x Maya should be canon. Great games, though hard without using Gamefaqs in certain times. I try to keep that to a minimum.

Also finished Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1). I'm sill very critical of the plot changes/plot censorship. My reasons for finished it anyway were first, I wanted to see how hard Final Ghaleon was in comparison to Omni-Zophar. I was level 53 in both, Final Ghaleon was nowhere near as challenging. Not as ridiculously easy as PSP Final Ghaleon, more of a challenge than SCD Demon Ghaleon too. I beat him on my first attempt, but I exercised more caution than the other versions. Another reason, was I like and cosplay the remake-only outfits Ghaleon wears, and since I only imitate John Truitt while in cosplay, I felt somewhat hypocritical cosplaying them without beating the exact game with the favored voice actor they are from. I have peace of mind over that now. I've remade the remake Final Ghaleon cosplay for what will probably be the last time, I'll post pics in my cosplay thread when I have time (there is a sneak peak of just the armor in the lunar discord I run, link in my signature.) Finally, I wanted to see all the WD in-jokes which did not disappoint. Overall good but not great. SCD is still the best by far, but I knew the PS1 plot from PSP (my first Lunar) so I didn't expect it to change much.

Currently playing Langrisser I&II on Steam, I think I'm midway through the first one, the batle with Emperor Digos It's pretty fun so far. I'm glad they kept the option for classic artwork by Satoshi Urushihara 8-) . Music by Noriyuki Iwadare is great too, I went with the Saturn OST. Also there are waist high character portraits (not just character faces), which I approve of.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've started a third run-through of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I'm playing with Dimitri's team this time, as well as the (up to now current) DLC.

I'm waiting for Persona 5 Royal or FF7:R. I plan to play both, but I'm still conflicted about which to get first.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Currently enjoying the demo of Trials of Mana

That FF7 demo was AWESOME
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:I finished the Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS (I started a decade ago on my regular DS; I took a lot of breaks!) I felt the last case really wrapped up the series well. I know there are more by different staff, I'll check out Apollo Justice and beyond eventually. Between Ace Attorney and YU-NO (discussed earlier) I think these are good examples of Visual Novels that aren't extremely linear. Also Phoenix x Maya should be canon. Great games, though hard without using Gamefaqs in certain times. I try to keep that to a minimum.

Also finished Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1). I'm sill very critical of the plot changes/plot censorship. My reasons for finished it anyway were first, I wanted to see how hard Final Ghaleon was in comparison to Omni-Zophar. I was level 53 in both, Final Ghaleon was nowhere near as challenging. Not as ridiculously easy as PSP Final Ghaleon, more of a challenge than SCD Demon Ghaleon too. I beat him on my first attempt, but I exercised more caution than the other versions. Another reason, was I like and cosplay the remake-only outfits Ghaleon wears, and since I only imitate John Truitt while in cosplay, I felt somewhat hypocritical cosplaying them without beating the exact game with the favored voice actor they are from. I have peace of mind over that now. I've remade the remake Final Ghaleon cosplay for what will probably be the last time, I'll post pics in my cosplay thread when I have time (there is a sneak peak of just the armor in the lunar discord I run, link in my signature.) Finally, I wanted to see all the WD in-jokes which did not disappoint. Overall good but not great. SCD is still the best by far, but I knew the PS1 plot from PSP (my first Lunar) so I didn't expect it to change much.

Currently playing Langrisser I&II on Steam, I think I'm midway through the first one, the batle with Emperor Digos It's pretty fun so far. I'm glad they kept the option for classic artwork by Satoshi Urushihara 8-) . Music by Noriyuki Iwadare is great too, I went with the Saturn OST. Also there are waist high character portraits (not just character faces), which I approve of.
Oh wow, level 53 against Ghaleon in SSSC? No wonder you dominated him. Try level 43/46, that's where I beat him. If you felt it was easy, that'll give you more of a challenge! ^_^
Lotus Moon Productions

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Langrisser update: Beat Langrisser I light path. Great game, LedinxChris is a great ship. I'm probably gonna draw them eventually. Now tackling the new Langrisser I Imperial route and the Langrisser II light path.
ShugoHanasaki wrote:
Shinto-Cetra wrote:I finished the Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS (I started a decade ago on my regular DS; I took a lot of breaks!) I felt the last case really wrapped up the series well. I know there are more by different staff, I'll check out Apollo Justice and beyond eventually. Between Ace Attorney and YU-NO (discussed earlier) I think these are good examples of Visual Novels that aren't extremely linear. Also Phoenix x Maya should be canon. Great games, though hard without using Gamefaqs in certain times. I try to keep that to a minimum.

Oh wow, level 53 against Ghaleon in SSSC? No wonder you dominated him. Try level 43/46, that's where I beat him. If you felt it was easy, that'll give you more of a challenge! ^_^
I didn't really want a challenge, I just wanted to see whether Zophar or Ghaleon's final remake form was harder. I had a lvl 53 party in Lunar 2 in the top of Zophar's keep, so I wanted to be fair about each party being the same level.
Last edited by Shinto-Cetra on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Currently I am playing Final Fantasy Vii on my ps3 and having Animal Crossing New Horizons taking a huge chunk of my time. :)

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:Also finished Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1). I'm sill very critical of the plot changes/plot censorship.
Sorry? I have absolutely no idea what you mean by plot censorship.

Currently playing Animal Crossing New Horizons, like apparently half the world. I mentioned it briefly to a colleague while on a work call and we got into a conversation about videogame that included his asking me what was different in SSH from SSSC. Not the convo I was expecting in a call about a grant budget. ^_^

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Alunissage wrote:
Shinto-Cetra wrote:Also finished Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1). I'm sill very critical of the plot changes/plot censorship.
Sorry? I have absolutely no idea what you mean by plot censorship.

Currently playing Animal Crossing New Horizons, like apparently half the world. I mentioned it briefly to a colleague while on a work call and we got into a conversation about videogame that included his asking me what was different in SSH from SSSC. Not the convo I was expecting in a call about a grant budget. ^_^
Quark died and human villagers were enslaved in TSS, Quark was "enslaved " in SSSC and human villagers were not enslaved. Not explicitly killing a character off (also no blood in the new scene), and and enslaving non-humans instead of humans are examples of plot censorship.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Just my two cents, I in no way see how a game company adapting their own game could be considered censorship. Calling that censorship ignores the longstanding practices of authors revising and editing their own work after publication, or adapting it for a new medium or audience. (Is Shakespeare's First Folio censorship compared to previous quarto versions of the plays? Is a director's cut censorship? Is changing plot details in the video game adaptation of Disney's Aladdin censorship?) "Censorship" also imputes motives that are likely absent - Quark's death and human enslavement were not (to my knowledge) received as controversies in TSS, so it seems unlikely that they changed it for any motive attributable to censorship, like avoiding controversy.

Happy to split this into a separate thread if others want to discuss.

I've taken a side journey into Stellaris's recent expansion Federations as I await Persona 5: Royal. As a 4X strategy game, Stellaris continues to impress; being able to give your species an origin story changes up the first part of the game, making it less repetitive. Starting on part of a ringworld isn't that bad. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, exactly. WD's removal of pentagrams from the SegaCD games could maybe* be construed as censorship by Sega of America (who required them to do it, hence why they're still present in the PSX games, because Sony didn't care), but the creators revising the plot on their own? No. Changes are not inherently censorship; that requires a specific motivation in the form of an authority requiring the change for reasons unrelated to the artistic merit.

*"Maybe" because Sega of America is (obviously) not the government, although they were an entity preventing the publishing of a work unless certain changes were made. The word we probably actually want is bowdlerization.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

@Sonic if you want to make a separate topic, that is fine by me (though I ask that you keep the post I made at the start of page 53 of this topic (current as of now) here as well, maybe copy it for reference, just don't permanently move it, as it is relevant to the topic.) I leave that decision to you, though I don't have much to say on it, aside from the point I am about to make. I double checked the definitions for both words, censor does not need to be mandated by an authority, though bowdlerize is applicable too.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censor (definition 2, verb)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowdlerize

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

At the moment I am working my way through the Stormblood Expansion for Final Fantasy XIV, finishing up Bravely Second, and working on Animal Crossing New Horizons.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate & Yu-Gi-Oh Legacy of the Duelist LINK Evolution & Gems of Wars

Loving the Trials of Mana remake too!
Lotus Moon Productions

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Final Fantasy VII: Remake.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've been into Persona 5 Royal. I'm most of the way through the game at this point, and loving the new additions. I've taken over a thousand screenshots, just in case I want to write something about it.

My partner and I have also been into Animal Crossing. It's an interesting test, sharing the same island. She fishes a lot more, whereas I design coats and scavenge.
Sonic#

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

TRIALS OF MANA BABEH!!!

LOVE IT
Lotus Moon Productions

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Finally finished Journey (for the first time) weekend before last. I also had one of the most unique experiences that could only be had in a game like Journey.

I played the first 2/3rds through one weekend, and picked it up the next, but sort of lost some skill at the controls. I finally joined up with a companion / fellow traveler at the stage where you need to ascend the tower, and they helped activate some of the glyphs that raise the sand to help me along while I got my bearings again; in return, I started showing them where to find more glyphs for their fabric length.

Shortly later when we were ascending the mountain through the snowstorm, we had to stick together closely. At the part where you need to run from shelter to shelter to avoid notice of the... dragon? beast? flying overhead, we were signalling to one another when it was safe to go. At one point I misread a signal, dashed ahead, realized my companion was signalling to come back, and I dashed back. They then signaled and dashed ahead but I was too slow and got attacked by the dragon/beast. Half my scarf was gone and I was barely able to walk to the next shelter, but the other traveler waited for me and recharged me when I made it (I'd like to think they were terrified I didn't make it). We continued together.

Some time later as we were further up the mountain on the bridge, we were fighting the wind to advance. At one point I noticed my fellow traveler wasn't on the ledge, and looked down and they had gotten blown off. So... I immediately jump down to join them -- this is ride or die at this point, we're gonna make it to the summit together or fall together. We're able to find a side passage to ascend back up from there.

We finished the remainder of the game side-by-side until we reached the summit.

Oh that was a good game...
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate & Yu-Gi-Oh Legacy of the Duelist LINK Evolution & Gems of Wars

Loving the Trials of Mana remake too!

STILL lol
Lotus Moon Productions

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Animal Crossing: New Horizons