What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Imperial Knight »

As part of my continuing project to play through the Dragon Quest series I've been playing Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2). I'm about eight hours in and Jessica just joined my party. Otherwise I've completed two dungeons and done a lot of exploring. I really like the world map. It's big and open enough to give a sense of adventure while exploring, but not so big that I've ever felt bored. It's really delightful to climb a hill to have a look around or go exploring in some out of the way corner, which more often that not rewards you with something whether it be treasure, a special enemy to fight, or even just a great view. Speaking of which I think the game still looks quite good. PS2 graphics may no longer have the ability to wow on the sheer basis of polygon counts but DQ8 just has a great aesthetic to it. The environments really have a great sense of place to them and the monsters are all wonderfully expressive. Beyond that it's generally doing all the things that caused me to fall in love with DQ when I started playing though the series a few years back. The gameplay is very much traditional turn-based RPG but it's traditional turn-based RPG done right. The overall story seems intriguing enough so far but as usual with DQ a lot of the interest is in the little side stories you come across as you go along and the personalities you come across (DQ is one of the few RPG series where I still seek out every NPC I can to talk to, and I also love the option to talk to your party members). I can see why a lot of DQ fans rate DQ8 particularly highly.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

I've gotten about halfway through Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2) about twice now but I still haven't beat it. lol It was only because I had Dragon Warrior VII (PS1) sitting in my collection and I never beat it and I wanted to at least go through it in order. Have you played Dragon Warrior VII, Imperial Knight? I thought it was such a good RPG and I loved how long the game was. It was such a blast to play through. It was probably one of the most fun adventures I've ever been. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your playthrough!

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Although I've been trying to make my way through the series mostly in order, I actually haven't played DQ7 yet. I know it's a somewhat divisive entry among DQ fans, partly due to its length, but I enjoyed each of the first six Dragon Quests (even little loved DQ2) and I'm enjoying DQ8 so far. I plan to play it sometime after I finish DQ8 and I'll probably go for the 3DS version. The biggest complaint I've seen specifically about that version is the way it awkwardly shoehorns visible encounters into dungeons that were designed for random encounters but it seems there are enough upgrades otherwise (improved translation, greatly expanded Party Chat) to make it worth putting up with that.

Unrelated to that my son and I finished a two player run through New Super Mario Bros. Wii this evening. It was a lot of fun, even if in two player mode you tend to end up getting in one another's way as much as you work together (especially when one of the players is seven years old).

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Oh, I see. I played the PS1 version because it was the only one I had, and it has been sitting in my collection for years. When I was younger, I preferred that you're able to see your characters during battle and Dragon Warrior VII didn't have, offer that (much like Earthbound). Whenever you can't see your party, that just always bothered me but now I just don't mind anymore. I almost actually prefer when the battles are all text! I'm sure, when you get to it, that you'll enjoy it!!

Oh, that sounds fun playing games with your son. I'm sure he was a helpful companion!!

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

LOH - Trails of Cold Steel Part IV (AMAZING SERIES)
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey, y'all!!! So, I finally beat SSSC again and I got all 13 Bromides this time and I managed to see all 4 scenes at both Althena's Springs. It felt really good to do that, hahaha.

Next, I'm planning on trying, attempting to 100% complete Final Fantasy VI (PS, Final Fantasy Anthology). I've been playing this particular game since I was way young and I almost know it by heart so I'm sure this will go smoothly.

Pretty much, I'm just gonna try to get all the Lores/Rages, teach everyone all the magic spells, collect all the magicite and just try to get all the missables. I know there's a few scenes that you can miss like all of Shadow's weird nightmares.

Do you guys have any input on whether to either get Ragnarok the magicite or the sword? Usually I opt for the esper but I thought about getting the weapon this time?

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

If you're trying for a complete game then I'd say take the sword (whereas I'd usually advise someone just trying to beat the game to take the Esper). You can always use the Paladin Shield to teach everyone Ultima. Removing the curse is a bit tedious but if you're going for a full Rage list and such you'll be fighting a bunch of extra battles anyway.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Oh, my word! Thanks to you so much, Imperial Knight!... I had always been wondering about that stupid Ragnarok decision, but thanks for clarifying about it!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I've been playing this gem lately:
Cloudpunk (launch trailer)
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I need to cut back on mobile gacha games, I don't spend money on them but I play them way too much.

Granblue Fantasy
Fate: Grand Order
Project Sekai feat. Hatsune Miku
Love Live All Stars

and I just added Sakura Kakumei recently because I'm a massive Sakura Taisen fan. I mean, Sakura Kakumei is basically Fate: Grand Order with a ST coat of paint anyway.

Otherwise, I've been playing Half-Life Alyx and Star Wars: Squadrons in VR (slowly) and dabble with the Super Metroid/A Link to the Past randomizer.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Haha, I saw that SM/LttP randomizer on AGDQ last year and couldn't decide whether I'd love or hate it. I do usually 100% both those games when I play them, but I'm no expert and probably would have major issues with doing some things out of order.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Alunissage wrote:Haha, I saw that SM/LttP randomizer on AGDQ last year and couldn't decide whether I'd love or hate it. I do usually 100% both those games when I play them, but I'm no expert and probably would have major issues with doing some things out of order.
I don't really speedrun them or anything, it's just fun to dabble in for a while because it tests my metal in terms of how well do I really know the maps and what powerups can get me where. There have been a few that completely stumped me but it can be fun once I finally find that one powerup I was looking for to make progress. XD
-Nobi

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

VidKid369 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:13 am Hey, y'all!!! So, I finally beat SSSC again and I got all 13 Bromides this time and I managed to see all 4 scenes at both Althena's Springs. It felt really good to do that, hahaha.
That's how i play it every time (^.~) It's such a magical game from start to finish
Lotus Moon Productions

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

I know. I always try to do that, too but on my last playthrough before that one I actually managed to miss Jess' Bromide 2 from the boatman in Lann because I didn't go back to talk to him after you go to Lann Island for the first time and I was sooo mad lol. I was following the Working Designs strategy guide and they never mentioned you had to do that so I was just like huh?

So, a little update I just finished with the World of Balance and I'm now on the Solitary Island with Celes. I checked and I got all the rages you can get in the WoB and also all the lores. I think I'm at almost ~50 hours.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I can't recommend the Legend of Heroes series enough! I'm very close to the end of TOCS 4 and what an amazing story overall...Can't wait for my NewGame+

To any RPG lover, this one is for you!!!!!
Lotus Moon Productions

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

WD RPG WD has me playing my first Shenmue game ever. I just finished it last week. It plays like Majora's Mask.

:P
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey, y'all. Earlier, I beat Final Fantasy VI for PS. I got all of Strago's lores, all of Gau's rages and I taught everyone all of the magics. Sure felt pretty good doing that!

I'm debating what to play next... I'm thinking Final Fantasy II for SNES, Final Fantasy Tactics or a Working Designs game I haven't beaten yet like maybe Alundra?

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Currently I am playing Ys Monstrum Nox and chipping away on Final Fantasy XIV Online.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Just finished playing through Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 4 - FINAL SAGA - I'm now on NewGame+ now.

I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS GAME ENOUGH! it's perfect for every RPG lover!

I want to play Ys IX next! Just gotta purchase it. Once i'm done with TOCS4 i'll be going back to completing Atelier Ryza
Lotus Moon Productions

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey, guys!!! I just completed Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) earlier this morning. I did all the propositions and I did the Deep Dungeon. Kind of a short RPG.

I have no idea what to play next but I'm excited to choose... usually I don't play anything like right after I beat an RPG but it's still early in the day. I kinda wanna play a Working Designs game I haven't beat yet but nothing else is really jumping out at me.