Civilization V announced for the Fall

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Civilization V announced for the Fall

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Civilization V announced for the Fall

Post by Kizyr »

ZOMG

Some folks on here are already aware that Civilization is my favorite series next to Lunar.

Many a conversation with Jenner has been ruined by me saying "I'm just gonna play a little Civ..." KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Speaking of Civ...what happened to our game Kiz?

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Holy Crap.. Hexagons. That blows my mind considering that Civ 1 using squares as a way to not scare people out of playing it was a big deal at the time. But in the end hexagons always prevail! Go hexagons! :lol:

I do hope they learned some lessons from Civ Rev and don't have as much extraneous stuff like Civ 4 had.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ardent Fox wrote:Speaking of Civ...what happened to our game Kiz?
...I'm still waiting for the next turn. I sent the last one out to Sonic#. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

The 90's called, they want Civ II back.

I didn't like 3 and 4 was ok. I hope this delivers.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Ruby wrote:I do hope they learned some lessons from Civ Rev and don't have as much extraneous stuff like Civ 4 had.
I didn't like Civ Rev. There's simplifying to make a speedier game, and then there's oversimplifying.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote:
Ruby wrote:I do hope they learned some lessons from Civ Rev and don't have as much extraneous stuff like Civ 4 had.
I didn't like Civ Rev. There's simplifying to make a speedier game, and then there's oversimplifying.
Definitely. A lot of the "extraneous" aspects of Civ4 only come into play depending on how you play the game. If you're the sort who always goes for Domination victory, then the expanded set of UN resolutions and religion isn't going to be very significant, but the new military unit system is. If you're the sort who always goes for Cultural victory, then the military will be second-place, and things like religion and culture-boosting wonders are going to be extremely important. And so on for each different play-style.

One thing I've been doing lately is going for different methods, and it's put a whole new spin on the game. Features that before I never used now end up essential to my strategy. Even the Civ4BTS game I just finished ended up heavily relying on the Apostolic Palace wonder in the first half of the game, and diplomacy was hugely significant (...in conquering my enemies).

In fact, I hope Civ5 expands the series and adds in all sorts of new features. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:
Ardent Fox wrote:Speaking of Civ...what happened to our game Kiz?
...I'm still waiting for the next turn. I sent the last one out to Sonic#. KF
Oh, I ... uh. It fell by the wayside, sorry. It should be sent shortly.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Honestly, I hope to goodness that they find a different way to balance late game powers other than inflation. Nothing kills a superpower faster than nearly 100% inflation rates.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I never had any inflation problems... You just gotta balance your economy right.

Try moderate tax-and-spending. That usually does the trick. Building up huge reserves without intending on purchasing something tends to ramp up inflation. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Agreed, I've never had problems with inflation. Sometimes I run into a mid-game cost bubble, when I expand nearly beyond my capacity to recoup the costs and fund reearch. But through using different strategies, I've largely worked around that.

I thought Revolutions was good for extremey quick games of Civilization, if I just wanted to intitively gut it out. If I'm wanting to plan, or savor, or experiment, I prefer Civ IV. So I hope Civ V continues along the same lines.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm not sure how you can exactly combat inflation other than shrinking your empire and disbanding you're military - any tips?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

phyco126 wrote:I'm not sure how you can exactly combat inflation other than shrinking your empire and disbanding you're military - any tips?
1. You know all of your towns? That appear to be generating lots of gold? Yeah. Destroy them. Don't build any new ones. Instead, have your workers build exclusively farms. AGRARIAN REVOLUTION!
2. Obviously you're suffering inflation because your army is not big enough. What, you only have about 200 units? Double that.
3. I find it helps when I build my cities as close as possible to each other. The best time to build a bunch of settlers is in the modern age, after you've tried to cover as much ground as possible. Fill in every space. It's also a good defensive mechanism, since the enemy will choke on the sheer number of cities they have to raze.
4. The reason why some Civics cost much more is because they're just plain better. Make sure all the ones you get are the high-cost ones.
5. It's best if you don't build any buildings except a barracks. They're just costing you money.
6. In fact, sell them for money!
7. It's best to dump all of your resources into experimental concepts that the game does not seem to support. For example, declare one space in the ocean your "Ocean Base." Then fill the space with ships. You will win in at least one way - being the only player awesome enough to pretend to have an underwater civilization.
8. You have a city that's rebelling because of your regressive agrarian taxes? Nuke 'em. Remember, a society with nukes ought to fear its own capabilities as much as those of its enemies.
9. Give all your money to Kizyr and me. Obviously, you're suffering inflation because you have too much money, and you need to send some of it overseas. We'll charge you nominal interest and give money back as you need it.
Sonic#