Metal Gear Solid 4

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

So, I recently purchased a PS3. My XBox 360 died, and there were numerous titles on this system I wanted to see, so I replaced it for the more expensive system. One of the games I was crazy excited about, but never got to play, was MGS4. This game... Was brilliant. Absolutely flawless in my eyes. I have been a fan of the series for a long time, played and beaten them all from Metal Gear for the MSX, to Metal Gear Solid 3. Hell, I even played the Acid and Portable Ops handheld ports. I love Metal Gear. So when I learned I wouldnt be able to play four? I was seriously bummed. But, now that I've played it, it was well worth the wait. Throughout the series, I always had questions concerning characters or plot elements, and after playing the game that was intended to be Solid Snakes sendoff, I can confidently say, they have all been put to rest. Everything was explained perfectly, the stealth aspects of the game were top notch, the boss fights were epic, everything was glorious. The best game in the series, and that's saying a lot.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I won't call it the best in the series, but I did rather enjoy it. Funny, I JUST posted a NeoGAF thread talking about how the main theme of Old Snake perfectly tells the story of the game all by itself too. XD
-Nobi

Kefka
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kefka »

This game is awful :(

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Kefka wrote:This game is awful :(
Pfffft. Are you a fan of the earlier installments? If you hadn't played them, then this game would be terribly confusing. But it's honestly insulting hearing that considering how highly I praise it. XD I thought it was absolutely phenomenal.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

I just played through it the second time. (Had to thoroughly examine it on our new plasma tv ^_^).

I've been a huge fan of the series since the first. They're all incredible, and the fourth is one of the best games ever made IMHO.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I played about 2 or 3 hours into the game on my friends system and I've been meaning to pick MGS4 up, especially since its only $20 at gamestop sounds like it won't disappoint, although it did take me awhile to get used to the controls, i thought the MGS3 controls were better. Does the game do a good job of wrapping the story up?

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Closes it perfectly. Every question you have ever had from any of the other games is resolved flawlessly.

Kefka
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kefka »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:
Kefka wrote:This game is awful :(
Pfffft. Are you a fan of the earlier installments? If you hadn't played them, then this game would be terribly confusing. But it's honestly insulting hearing that considering how highly I praise it. XD I thought it was absolutely phenomenal.
It's empty and bloated and nondescript and half-baked and inconsistent and masturbatory and staggeringly uninterested in what makes a video game on a level that borders on neurosis. It actively hates itself. You can order a hundred million guns from a monkey, all of which are the same, just so the game can show you how bad it is. You go back to shadow moses island so the game can tell you how -Dragon Diamond- a locale shadow moses island was. the bosses beg you to sexually molest them. you spend the first two chapters on your stomach, then never actually play the game again. the cutscenes feature zero direction and the "story" is incoherent in an incalculably artless manner. I don't remember any of the set pieces. I remember one boss. It ends six times. johnny sasaki is an actual character. the action choreography is sub shonen manga. At least the mma match on a submarine was kind of fun. it reads like a moe history lecture. the load times are impossible. david hayter's voice died and went to hell. there are two armies fighting that you can join only you never know which one hates you so you just sneak around in impossible angles until someone says hello. the environments float half finished in a void. the design document ends two eights of the way through the game. there is nothing to find, nothing to see, nothing to laugh at. it is the bacteria that digests the corpse of MGS2.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

After reading that I'm curious what you thought of the other Metal Gear games.

Kefka
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kefka »

I like them. There was a time when I really liked them. MGS4 was so bad that it casts some doubts over the rest of the series. Despite their high profile, they were never games for everyone--they're clumsy, they're bloated, they're high-low brow and they make a conscious effort to take digs at people that play video games (while also kowtowing to fans and people that it thinks should be fans). They're confusing. I'm unsure what Kojima wants, and I'm pretty sure he's unsure as well.

That said, MGS1 was a landmark, MGS2 is among a handful of video games with genuine literary aspirations (even though it is terribly written), and MGS3 is just a great video game (it's also the closest Kojima has ever been to a comfort zone). I'm pretty pumped about Peace Walker.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Kefka wrote:It's empty and bloated and nondescript and half-baked and inconsistent and masturbatory and staggeringly uninterested in what makes a video game on a level that borders on neurosis. It actively hates itself. You can order a hundred million guns from a monkey, all of which are the same, just so the game can show you how bad it is. You go back to shadow moses island so the game can tell you how -Dragon Diamond- a locale shadow moses island was. the bosses beg you to sexually molest them. you spend the first two chapters on your stomach, then never actually play the game again. the cutscenes feature zero direction and the "story" is incoherent in an incalculably artless manner. I don't remember any of the set pieces. I remember one boss. It ends six times. johnny sasaki is an actual character. the action choreography is sub shonen manga. At least the mma match on a submarine was kind of fun. it reads like a moe history lecture. the load times are impossible. david hayter's voice died and went to hell. there are two armies fighting that you can join only you never know which one hates you so you just sneak around in impossible angles until someone says hello. the environments float half finished in a void. the design document ends two eights of the way through the game. there is nothing to find, nothing to see, nothing to laugh at. it is the bacteria that digests the corpse of MGS2.
All guns are the same?! I think not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8NsXFvGsLI

Checkmate.

As for your other complaints, I disagree wholeheartedly. Shadow Moses was brilliant. The nostalgia cred it provided was immense, and honestly my only complaint about it is that it was restricted so much. I would have loved to go through the entire complex again and revisit all of the familiar spots from the first game. The bosses beg you to sexually molest them..? Kind of. But that's an easter egg damnit. Kojima can be a pervert admittedly enough, but the actual concept behind the Beauty and the Beast corps is awesome despite that. They were women who endured immeasurable hardship through war, and as such were reduced to the monstrosities Liquid imagined. As for playing the first two chapters on your belly? Hardly. I can see that approach if you're new to the series and struggle with detection, but with your CQC and the appropriate timing, you can easily sneak up on someone and mess them up before they can touch you, or spot you for that matter. And gameplay past the first two chapters? Really dude?  Badass bike escape, piloting Metal Gear Rex, disabling giant GECKO'? How that doesn't constitute as incredible gameplay to you is baffling. And just how on earth can you say the story has no direction? It brilliantly combines the storytelling from not only the first two games, but the prequel series with Naked Snake into a beautiful climax.  The Patriots originating from Zero and the rest of the bosses companions, only to be reduced to the productive direction of numerous AI'. Awesome. The admiration Revolver Ocelot had for Big Boss spilling over to his rivalry and eventual acceptance of Snake? Sweet. Eva playing the role of womb for Les Enfant Terrible, making her Snakes mother and further linking Snake with the previous games and generations? Brilliant. And really? You disapprove of Johnny being a character? He's persisted as a fan favorite throughout the entire series, I was ecstatic when he came into the fray! Hayter's voice died... ... ...Really dude? That has nothing to do with him voicing the role of a dying senior citizen? Of course he's going to change his voice. Of course it's going to sound course and strained. If it didn't I'd be pissed! Overall dude, I'd say the things you hated about the game, I though accentuated it perfectly, which is fine. We'll just agree to disagree. What we CAN agree about, is how excited we both are for Peacewalker. It's going to be a blast.

AlexAybara
Reza Thief

Post by AlexAybara »

I haven't actually finished this game yet but so far it's been pretty awesome. I mostly like playing online with my Friend. I pretty much just stick to Team Sneaking though.