The Witcher 1 or 2 (indecision)

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Witcher 1 or 2 (indecision)

Post by Sonic# »

So, I have a decision to make.

After learning about both Witcher games, they sound like my cup of tea. Nonlinear narrative plots, interesting combat, lots of dialogue, and so on. I only have time to play one of them this summer.

Which should I pick? Do I miss out on much if I jump straight to 2? Is 1 worth playing first? Or second? Basically, make up your own rationalizations and let me read them and decide. XD
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: The Witcher 1 or 2 (indecision)

Post by phyco126 »

Skipping ahead to the second game is usually frowned upon, simply due in part because you'll miss out on plot details. While most game companies try to make the sequel in such a way that you won't need to play the first to know whats going on, you'll get a more fleshed out story if you do. Now, how I decide to do it is based on a single factor. How old is the first game? If its so old your modern computer can't play it, then go for the second. Its as simply as that (for me at least).

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The Witcher is from 2008. In addition, I don't feel particular remorse if I miss plot details because of playing them out of order, unless they're really important. I was fine playing through Chrono Cross before playing Chrono Trigger, and I'm fine watching episodes of Doctor Who out of order. With a game series that prides itself on not having a single ending or even a single middle, I'm not that concerned with missing plot details.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I heard from my brother that there are a few plot details that you'll miss out on if you don't play the first. He says the books have a bigger connection to W2 than W1 does though. Maybe you can find a plot summary online somewhere and just jump right into the second.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Interesting combat only means it's about like navigating a refrigerator during a demolition derby. I really did not like the first Witcher. Couldn't get into it.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I own both the Witcher 1 & 2.

In the Witcher 2 you have the option of importing your completed save file from the Witcher 1. The benefit of doing this is that certain characters recognize you and react differently to what you have done.

Other then that, the Witcher 1 is a game with a great story and script. But, it does show its age and the animation sucks. Also, you need a rather large patch to get the game going (~1 gig).

I love the story, but I am one of those people who cannot play old 3d games because it just looks so bad.

For the complete experience play the Witcher 1. You will then have a "relationship" built up with the main character and you will understand his positions and such.

But, to be honest you wont miss anything if you just jump into the Witcher 2.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Interesting combat only means it's about like navigating a refrigerator during a demolition derby.
Actually, I've missed my demolition-refrigerator sims.
Sonic#

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I recently had time to finally beat the Witcher 2. It was amazing.

BUT, now that I have beaten it I know now that I wish I would have played through the Witcher 1 first. It kind of plops you right into the middle of the lore. It uses a lot of names and names of places and I frequently thought a place was a person. But the Witcher 2 does a have an in game Glossary. This grows as you learn more in the game through interactions with the characters and reading in game books. So its not a deal breaker to not play the Witcher 1 but it certainly helps with immersion into the story.

Which one did I like more?

The Witcher 1

But I have no doubt that I will love the Witcher 3 when it arrives. Also I am glad I purchased the collectors edition. Kinda, it was bummed a little when they let all the collectors edition stuff be available for free online. Everything except my bust of Geralt. And I think the artbook which is beautiful.

The Witcher 3 will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I got both these games when they were on sale on Steam and they make me incredibly uncomfortable. (And I am Jenner, so that is not an easy achievement.) They are standard fantasy faire which means they are incredibly, nauseatingly, QUIT THE GAME AND NEVER RETURN sexist.

Seriously, immune to disease and sterile, and this is supposed to be a curse? It's every immature man's DREAM.

You should get Papers Please instead, it oppresses people equally.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

NT
Last edited by TempestOne on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Witchering is such a manly man's thing though.

I grew chesthair just playing it the six hours I managed to last before walking away. It might be right up your misogynistic alley.
Jenner wrote: You should get Papers Please instead, it oppresses people equally.
I take this back, it oppresses most people equally unless they're Kolechians. But Kolechians aren't people...-Fatal Hopper- those kolechians...
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

NT