Suikoden V

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Suikoden V

Post by GhaleonOne »

Hopefully it'll make up for Suikoden IV.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2005/1820.html
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I'm still fence-sitting on whether or not to get IV since I've heard it's somewhat mediocre, but given that Suikoden Tactics takes place in something of the same time period I may anyway. (Alas, more backlog. ^^; At some point I've gotta stop doing this...) I wish the article said something about when in time V would take place.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The problem with IV is mostly that it was a mediocre story compared to I-III. It was almost like a side-story or gaiden type game. It was fairly short as well. If you go into it expecting a simple historical gaiden type story, you'll probably like it (plus, us backlogged folk don't mind shorter RPGs these days anyways :P) but if you expected the great plots of I-III you'll be extremely disappointed.
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Short doesn't bother me at all. :) Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of my all time favorite RPGs and it clocks in a mere 20 hours. I'm more concerned about what I've heard about Suikoden IV's gameplay issues (ex: travel time is long and boring, lots of empty space). Still, it seems to be selling for $19.99 these days so that may be worth it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

This is true, but the battle system is fairly fun. And you do battle on the open seas. For 20 bucks it's a fun play through, but it pales in comparison to the first three Suikoden's in story.
-G1

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I'm exicted about Suikoden 5 mostly because I read that the Queendom of Falena would be a primary setting. I've been curious about this seldom-mentioned country since Suikoden 2.

I also read that the main character is a prince of Falena. That sounds like a bleak life to have been born into - what is the use of a prince in a country ruled by women?

And for the record I haven't played Suikoden 4, and I have little interest in it or Rhapsodia (Suikoden Tactics is an embarrasing title).

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I understand the original creator of the series left near the end of the production of IIIen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikoden#Development_Team So that may explain IV's shortcomings.

I'm hoping V will be better, though, and unless it ends up with terrible reviews, I'll likely buy it anyway. It's one of my favorite series :) It is an interesting premise, though, the Queendom of Falena. I heard it briefly mentioned with a character's past in Suikoden 2 but not much other than that.

Reaper
Lyton Singer

Suikoden

Post by Reaper »

I loved playing suikoden during those long summer days because I found all the people you're supposed to without cheating. But I still have to try and find number two, I thought it was just 1 game. I picked it up by chance in some run down Japanese antique store, wierd to find it in a place like that huh?
The end will come to death
but death will never end

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

AlasdairPalemoon wrote:I'm hoping V will be better, though, and unless it ends up with terrible reviews, I'll likely buy it anyway. It's one of my favorite series :) It is an interesting premise, though, the Queendom of Falena. I heard it briefly mentioned with a character's past in Suikoden 2 but not much other than that.

I assume you are referring to Georg Prime (who was a mighty tough dude in S2, from what I remember). He is confirmed for Suikoden 5, and it looks like he'll be a major character. Concidering that he was rumored to be on the run for killing the Queen of Falena in S2, this has a lot of potential.

Karthur
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Karthur »

Of all the Suikoden games, IV was the weakest IMHO. While the ship battles were neat and the graphics pretty good, the voice acting, lack of character development and mediocre story made it hard for me to really get into.

Sure, with 108 playable characters, some are going to the short end of the stick, but even in the PSX games, there was some challenge to recruiting most of them and the ones at the forefront of the story always had some kind of background that was explained. In IV, it was pretty much, "Hey y'all! Get on my boat!" (Helmut gets much love from me, though)

Anywho, I am looking forward to V, though, especially since I heard it was supposed to take place between II and III. (Maybe Flik, Viktor and the other originals will be in it?)
"Even if I close my eyes the world will not disappear." -- Mathiu Silverberg, Suikoden I

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Well, everyone has pretty much said what's needed to be said about IV.

- traveling sucks

- 4 person pty....I want my 6 back

- very lacking story/main hero. Plus the supporting cast kinda sucked too. I didn't like anyone, and I am pissed off about certain endgame characters.

- too few islands and towns to accurately simulate a decent world in trouble.

- it was a prequal...which meant no effects from I-III

I just got my GameInformer today, and they have a blurb about V, which confirms we get our 6 member pty system back :)

Still no release date, though.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Did anyone realize Suikoden Tactics comes out this Tuesday? I didn't realize it was so soon. I wonder if it'll be as good as most of the main series?
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I knew the date was coming and it still feels too soon. I'm so behind on this series. :P I'll probably do my usual thing and pick it up when it gets cheap so I can add it to my backlog (which sadly has not gotten any smaller this year thanks to all my overtime).

lioyd
BANNED

Post by lioyd »

I played suikoden iv I liked it but many didnt I dont know why...

celestiallight
Lann Fisherman

Post by celestiallight »

Ooh, I want Suikoden V, I wanna buy that next spring 2006...

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

There will be a character named Ghaleon in Suikoden 5. :wink:

Or at least his name is identical to Ghaleon's Japanese name. He is the oldest general of the Queen's knights. If you go to Konami's official site and check the battle screenshots, he's in the party. It's interesting to check them out anyway, since there are examples of a number of battle formations. With six character parties.
「まあいいけど。」

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Shiva Indis wrote:There will be a character named Ghaleon in Suikoden 5. :wink:

Or at least his name is identical to Ghaleon's Japanese name. He is the oldest general of the Queen's knights. If you go to Konami's official site and check the battle screenshots, he's in the party. It's interesting to check them out anyway, since there are examples of a number of battle formations. With six character parties.

Eh, I'm not surprised that a Lunar name may pop up in games. Remember, FF VII used Dyne for the name of a thug. That kinda peeved me at the time.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Remember, FF VII used Dyne for the name of a thug.

Dyne was also Vyse's dad in Skies of Arcadia.
-G1