Need help with a gaming mom issue!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kale
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Need help with a gaming mom issue!

Post by Kale »

Ok, my mom LOVES videogames. But only certian ones. Usually she plays Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon, but she wants to play new games. Unfortunately though, she only likes those kind of games. Well, whenever she asks me what kind of games she might like, I dunno what tosay, so if you guys could help out and give me some suggestions, I'd be very greatful.

By the way, heres a list of what she usually plays and has played:

Nintendo Entertainment System
Mario Brothers

SNES:
Donkey Kong 1-3 (Has beaten numerous times with 100%)
Super Mario Bro's
Super Mario's:Legend of the Seven stars

Playstaion:
Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (Has beaten numerous times with 100%)
Spyro the Dragon 1-3 (Has beaten numerous times with 100%)
Lunar: The Silver Star Story (Dident like ;;)

Playstaion 2:
Rachet and Clank (dident like)
Crash Bandicoot 4 (Beat once)

Gamecube:
Spyro 4 (dident like)

N64:
Mario 64 (dident like)

Sega Gensis:
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Tailspin
Alladin

Again, Thanks ahead for any help you can give!

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

I know it's very different, but I'd check out Katamari Damacy. It's fun for everybody.
-Rich-

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

She didn't like Lunar? *gasp*

Okay, as soon as the defibulator kicks in, all I can say is maybe she would like PokeMon :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Zelda? Metroid? Though she seems to like bright, cheerful games. (The DKCs are favorites of mine, too.) How about Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door? I haven't played Super Mario RPG, but I keep hearing that Paper Mario is its spiritual successor. If you have a GB Player for the GC, pick up Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. If she likes Disney, try Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion, though the latter, while fun, is rather easy. Also, Aladdin -- I liked the Genesis game and never really got into the SNES one, but I've had friends say the opposite.

That's really all I can think of that might relate to the others. I'm not really widely played, unfortunately. I'd definitely suggest those Mario games, though, as (among other things) there's a lot of humor in them that people familiar with earlier Mario games will appreciate -- though that knowledge isn't necessary to enjoy the game.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

What about racing games? They can be fun, depending on how good you get and how fast your car can go :P (I'm thinking old skool GT2 for the PSX of course :P)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

scaryice
Student of Vane

Re: Need help with a gaming mom issue!

Post by scaryice »

Maybe Banjo-Kazooie?

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

Ok, I know for a fact she hates racing games, and i know she doesnt like zelda. also any game that lets you free roam. she loves platformers that have your basic Point A-Point B kinda thing. The only slightly free roam game she liked was Spyro. :cry: She's a picky gamer :cry:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The Disney ones I mentioned are platfomers. I still think she (and you, if you havne't) should check out the Mario RPGs I mentioned if she had any positive reaction to Super Mario RPG at all.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Being obviously biased, I'd suggest other Sonic the Hedgehog games, but probably not Sonic Adventure, because that allows for lots of roaming.

It seems like she *might* like Super Monkey Ball. It's a very simple control array, but it might not contain the action she wants, so much as frustrating "BANANAS NOOO!" commentary.

Other than that... it seems when someone's picky like that, it might be beneficial to rent some games first.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Mormon88
Reza Thief

Post by Mormon88 »

well she seems to like the developer Naughty Dog so why not show her Jak and Daxter

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

She considered Jak and Daxter, but, thought it was for a system i dont have (X-box)

And she DOES like the original Sonic games, just not adventure.

(BTW: hey sonic? is that from the old "Pirates" games?)
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

His avatar? It's from The Secret of Monkey Island. Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I can hold my breath underwater for ten minutes!

But yes, as Alunissage said, Monkey Island, and not old Pirates. I wish I'd played it, because it sounds really awesome, but I make do with the new one.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Since she likes platformers so much, how about the Castlevania games?

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

Ah, I have one of those so i may have to have her try it

(and monkey island was my other guess ><)
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"

SKParasite
Lann Fisherman

Post by SKParasite »

It's fustrating having a gaming Mom isn't it? It's not a bad thing, but just fustrating how picky they can be. My Mom plays games but will ONLY play games that are like Bulder's Gate, Champions of Norrath, ect. I tried getting her to play other games in the same category, just not the same style, and she didn't like them. x_x

I would have to say, if she likes platformers that have a point A-B try Castlevania. Though, the castle is big, it does have 'go from here to here, fight a boss, go to this point, fight a boss, ect.' D:

That Other Person
Lostest Boy
Location: That one place over there. Next to that other place. You know where I mean.

Post by That Other Person »

Jak & Daxter is for the PS2. I think she would like it, but it does have a quite a bit of roaming. I definately wouldn't recomend the sequels, though. They are a bit darker than the first one.
When you hit the bottom, the only way to go is up... unless you carry a shovel.

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

Lol. I dont think she cares too much about story (thus the Dislike of RPG's ;;!) but i'll try to get her on those and see what she thinks.

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Alunissage, Castle of illision and World of illision are both amazing games, still own them for my genesis, so I have to say good call on those two

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

She may like Ristar, which was a decent platformer on the Genesis. If you own a Saturn, try Guardian Heroes, or Astal. Klonoa, and Klonoa 2 on PlayStation and PS2, maybe Pandemonium on PlayStation. Maybe she should try some puzzle games.