Revolution, PS3, or Xbox 360?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Revolution, PS3, or Xbox 360?

Post by DaWrestla »

So what consoles are you guys going to get initially? In the long run?

For sure I'm gonna get a Rev when it comes out. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Nintendo. When the price of the PS3 is under $200 then I'll buy it, too (which will take several years after it comes out). I seriously doubt I'll ever get an Xbox 360. The only game worth playing to me is Halo 3.

I own FFX and KH and I don't even own a PS2. I bought them both and simply played them on my siblings' PS2. Now that I live on my own, I'll get a PS2 when FFX and KH2 come out. I'll probably buy a used one for around $100 bucks. Preferably a newer model, because as far as I know they took care of the problems the older PS2s were having playing some PS1 games like Final Fantasy Anthologies.
Vaporized before my eyes

alvyman89
Burg Farmer

Post by alvyman89 »

I will probably wait for a while before I get a new system, but I think I'll be getting a revolution because it looks really interesting. My brother will probably get a ps3 so I'll just use his.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

I'll be getting all three at some point simply because I have to.

...though that hasn't stopped me from not picking up a PSP :P
-Rich-

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

I'll end up getting the PS3 and Revolution because all the good RPGs and games i like are on these systems. XBox has never really appealed to me and their RPGs aren't very intertaining.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I want the PS3, then the Xbox 360, then eventually the Revolution (target practice.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It depends on which system is going to get all the good RPGs.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Revolution, PS3, or Xbox 360?

Post by DevNall »

DaWrestla wrote:Preferably a newer model, because as far as I know they took care of the problems the older PS2s were having playing some PS1 games like Final Fantasy Anthologies.

You could always just wait and get FF1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 for the GBA. :)

FF3 (the Japanese one) is being remade in 3D for the Nintendo DS, too.

Angelalex242 wrote:It depends on which system is going to get all the good RPGs.

Probably the PS3.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

There is no way in hell I would pay for the remakes of the remakes I already own. Plus, in theory games for CDs last forever. Cartridges are supposed to lose their save capabilities after about 5 years (though this has yet to happen on ANY of my SNES games that I still own...some of which have been over 10 years). So I'll take a CD remake over a cartridge remake any day. Yes, that includes FFVI that was in the Final Fantasy Anthologies for the PS1. For all of it's lags, it was still so good that I still consider it tied with FFX as the second best FF ever (Only by a 10th of a point...I give them both a 9.9. For me, FFVII gets a perfect 10.0).

And before someone mentions it, you can always transfer your saved files from the older memory device to the newer one (PS1 files can be stored on PS2 memory cards). Having said that, we're going to lose this functionality with the memory sticks of PS3. Though one wonders is Sony or someone will create a device that will let you transfer files from the memory cards onto the memory sticks.

EDIT:

Not to be a troll :) But let the record show I think FFIX is the worst Final Fantasy ever. All around it's a terrible RPG. In my rankings of Final Fantasy, I gave it a well deserved 1.0/10.0
Vaporized before my eyes

lunarRPG88
Meribian Merchant

Post by lunarRPG88 »

REVOLUTION!!!!!:D

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I've never gotten a console at launch; the closest I came was getting an import GBA shortly after the US release (all the stores were sold out of domestic units, but not the imports). I'd never had a handheld before, nor wanted one, but I played Oracle of Seasons at E3 that year and found that it was actually comfortable. [/digression]

It's always about whatever has the games I want to play. But I think the Revolution is by far the most likely. I really want to see what they do with it.

DaWrestla, I dunno about CDs being longer-lived than carts. The latter's batteries can wear down, yes (though the only cart I've ever had trouble saving on was Super Metroid; older games work fine), but the CDs can get scratched. And while you can copy PS saves onto a PS2 mem card, I seem to recall that PS games won't read saves off of the PS2 card and so you can only use that latter card for archiving. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, though.

And since I have 31 separate Lunar games, it's safe to say that I don't mind rebuying games. :P I adore version differences, though.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Alun:

I've always considered someone who imports are hardcore gamer. WAY more hardcore than I'll ever be. Though before I got super into HS and College athletics, I had a lot more time for games (which would explain why over the last 8 years I had quite the back log of RPGs to finish. Now I"m just down to the 2 Golden Suns)

I'm just praying with the Rev that I'll be able to download all of my fave RPGs from the SNES era (SoM, CT, etc.) and that companies will translate ones never released in the US (LIKE SEIKEN DENSETSU 3!!!). The super-duper backwards compatibility with the Rev just sounds amazing to me. I hope 3rd party companies sign up.

Yeah, CDs can scratch, that why I (think I) said they last longer in THEORY. Plus, I like the cut-scenes CDs offer.

As for version differences, I hate them in principle. If, however, a remake is what the creator considers his true vision (take Star Wars special edition, for example)...then I'm all for it. For me, I want continuity and something that lasts. Which is why I consider SSSC and EBC to be canon, based on what I heard in the 'making of' CDs.

This also explains why, even though Chrono Trigger is an amazing game, I don't like the fact that it has a bajillion endings. I like to KNOW what happens to my characters at the end of a game. I like to know what THE ENDING is. And as such, I won't spend money on games (like Chrono Trigger) that leave me hanging like this.
Vaporized before my eyes

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I hope to get a PS3 sometime in the far off future. (I still need to get DS so I can play Lunar... XD) Just because I'm a Playstation nut, and most of the games I play/like are for Playstation.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Tachi
Burg Farmer

Post by Tachi »

Not to sure my self, But I seem to own more Ps1/ps2 games then I do for other systems, and Sony's been pretty good in the past about getting good games there way system wise, I'm aiming for Ps3 at the moment, all though I always tend to get PS/Nintendo systems just for games.

And, As for 360, I've yet to see any games for the Xbox line that I can't just get for the PC and have more content, with free online play.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

DaWrestla wrote:There is no way in hell I would pay for the remakes of the remakes I already own. Plus, in theory games for CDs last forever.

When they were introduced yes. But now we know that CDs and DVDs will both rot over time. The speed at which it happens is dependent on how well you take care of them, but sadly all CDs and DVDs you have will probably die before you do. Writable ones are prone to dying even sooner. Besides loss or normal damage, that's why it's a good idea to try to back everything up.
-Rich-

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

When they were introduced yes. But now we know that CDs and DVDs will both rot over time. The speed at which it happens is dependent on how well you take care of them, but sadly all CDs and DVDs you have will probably die before you do. Writable ones are prone to dying even sooner. Besides loss or normal damage, that's why it's a good idea to try to back everything up.

Really? Where the heck have I been? I mean, of course they will degrade SOME time, but they won't last as long as paper (100 years)?

EDIT:

Some of my older PS1 RPGs are a little scratched up, but that's because of my little brothers getting a hold of them. I figured that in time I would eventually get some sort of hardware to clean the scratches.
Vaporized before my eyes

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Really. I can't really remember the specs our years, but an article I read gave estimate lifespans. Anyway, they do die, even if you take perfect care of them. Cold, heat, uses, just about everything factors in with how long they last.

I think though, that if you take perfect care of a CD, it'll last roughly several decades, but I don't think it would live to 100.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DragonSong
Saith Pirate

Post by DragonSong »

I'll be getting a Revolution first, then I'll consider a preowned 360 and finally I will probably get a PS3 when the next next generation systems come out.

Texcap
Meribian Merchant

Post by Texcap »

Well, I'm a little torn on this one...

I plan to purchase the PS3 when it's released for sure thanks to all the enjoyment I've gotten from the PS2 (and PS1 games) over the years and, among other things, for all of the RPG possibilities that Sony offers (historically and as already announced). The old adage that if you 'keep 'em happy that they'll return' is true in this case, for me. Add in what looks and sounds like a real leap forward and it's pretty much a done deal.

I also planned to get one of the two other systems ,and up until a few weeks ago that was the XBOX 360, which I went ahead and reserved.
But with the actual release date drawing near, I've started to hear, and pay attention, to some of the negative speak out there and I've got to admit that I'm a little wary of what the XBOX is going to offer as a whole in terms of it's games (I really enjoy the DOA series, Ninja Gaiden and a few others for example, but so far -- like the XBOX before it -- that's really all that's sticking out to me) and it's actual capability. Too many times now I've heard that this isn't the step forward that people had expected, and I've noticed some dissappointment creeping into stories, news casts, and articles that is starting to bug me. But I don't know first hand yet, so I'm going to have to learn more over the next several weeks. Still, I'm thinking that it's probably going to be the wisest idea to go ahead and hold off on purchasing the system until I can see firsthand what the system is going to offer in these areas.

And if it doesn't impress me like I hope it does, then I'll set my eyes on the REVOLUTION alongside the PS3. As it is, the classic game library alone is awful tempting in-and-of-itself. I've still got some "old-school" RPG's to catch up on (SECRET OF MANA, etc.) and this would potentially offer me a cheap way of doing that all the while getting some *new* good games (hopefully) in the process.

Time will tell.

But if it answers your question more concisely, I'm definitely planning on the PS3.

Fortiter -- Per Mare Per Terras!

SKParasite
Lann Fisherman

Post by SKParasite »

I'll be getting the Revolution for my next console, mostly because of the price and the fact you can download old games.

But that won't stop me from getting a PS3 when I can afford it, but for now I'll just be waiting for the Rev.

Super Smash Bros. 3 anyone?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Eventually, I'll likely get all three, but the only one I'll even consider at launch is the Revolution, and that depends on the price tag and what games are launching with it. After having to buy a second PS2 to replace the piece of junk first one I bought at launch, I will never buy a Sony system at launch again. Perfect Dark Zero really interests me a lot, because I LOVED the N64 one, but not enough to drop what Microsoft is charging for the Xbox360. Not to mention this little thing called being broke.

If Nintendo drops Super Smash. Bros., Zelda, Mario, or another title like that at launch, and the system isn't super expensive, I'll probably grab it. I think that's their aim too, as the GameCube came out at $199, and I know they've said they didn't want the Revolution costing too much.
-G1