Did anyone watch the G4 Speical on Violence in Videogames?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Roas Atrades »

Spirit Icana wrote:Most video games are much more immersive than movies. I think I'll be sideing more with Jack Thompson if the Revolution succeeds at what it's trying to do, and game violence ensues without any barriers to protect young innocent minds.

Oh, and from the shows I've seen, G4 promotes violence. I wonder if G4tv.com have, or will soon be discussing the problems that concern violence in games. I think it's a much bigger problem than most seem or want to think.

First of all, if you are siding with anything that whack job Thompson says, I think you may need to re-evaluate yourself as a gamer. G1's thread at
http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=896

pretty much lays it out that this dude needs to shut the hell up and go stick his head in an oven.

Secondly, most of us have already pretty much laid out the ground work that if parents take responsibility, and if the ESRB continues to do its job, that well oriented kids will not be going off to live real life GTA.

So I ask...what exactly are you saying?
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Rich wrote:The hot coffee scandal was entirely Rockstar's fault.

I wish more people would do that rather than blaming the ESRB, parents, etc. Rockstar damn well knew what content was on those discs, and knew that with as popular as GTA is, someone would hack it out eventually. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
-G1

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

I played so many violent games growing up, and I'm fine. It's the parents who determine how the kid turns out, not the culture.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Kale wrote:
Um...no offence my friend, but they did cover the problems that delt with violence in videogames. I created this topic right after the speical they ran on it.

Um...I know about the special buddy, but something like that has been rare on the network. A large chunk of the shows on G4 lately have been embracing the violence and sex in games, and entertainment outside of it, too often. I admit that the special came as a rather nice surprise.

First of all, if you are siding with anything that whack job Thompson says, I think you may need to re-evaluate yourself as a gamer. G1's thread at
http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=896

pretty much lays it out that this dude needs to shut the hell up and go stick his head in an oven.

Secondly, most of us have already pretty much laid out the ground work that if parents take responsibility, and if the ESRB continues to do its job, that well oriented kids will not be going off to live real life GTA.

So I ask...what exactly are you saying?

I believe Jack Thompson is looking at things the correct way, in regards to the risks involved in having young kids and teenagers exposed to violent and sexual content. His statements about games and their influence on young people has validity. I don't know what bizarre defination you have for what a "gamer" is suppose to be, but I certainly don't have to re-examine my stance as one, nor do I need to change my posture which supports Jack Thompson's good cause.

I urge people here to think about the matter a little bit more deeper and don't buy in simply to what OTHERS are saying. Think for yourself. Use reason. Don't be brainwashed.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Don't be brainwashed my ass. You know, I could care less if you think Thompson has a good cause. The man is a sociopath. He compares his enemies to nazis and particularly highpowered enemies to Hitler. He thinks Sony and Take 2 releasing GTA is the equivalent of Pearl Fucking Harbor. He wants kids who have played video games and murdered people to get off with the insanity defense. He thinks that the Muslim religion is all about killing people, particularly Americans. He's a racist and a bigot. He's done all that -Dragon Diamond- with Penny Arcade. And he has personally threatened my website and people on it on multiple occasions. Don't give me any -Dung Beetle- about him having a good cause.

do
research
before
you speak
-Rich-

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Don't forget:

http://www.vgcats.com/jack.php :)

By the way, his proposal for having a game made about a guy who get's revenge by killing an entire family, including the kids... is quite more disturbing than any other game I have EVER heard of...

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Spirit Icana wrote: I urge people here to think about the matter a little bit more deeper and don't buy in simply to what OTHERS are saying. Think for yourself. Use reason. Don't be brainwashed.

Listen man, I've been playing videogames for over 20 years now. So, I've lived through the entire evolution of videogames to their current state.

As an American, Thompson has the right under the Constitution to say what he wants, and I would fight for his right to do so, because I am proud for what this country stands for. He has the right to sound like a complete ass.

But just because he can say whtever he wants does not make it right or even remotely intelligent.

I've played almost all kinds of videogames and watched them become the medium of entertainment they are today. And because I was raised with good and honest values, and because I am a well adjusted individual, I separate reality from fiction, no matter how deep I can immerse myself in that fiction when enjoying it.

I am a writer and a story teller at heart. Many of the main themes I like to stress are about people fighting for their right to choose how to live their lives free and unpressured by dictatorial or totalitarian thinking. What Jack Thompson promotes is the stuff that browbeats people into following his way as the only way, and when they don't he threatens them with his de-evolved mind.

Ask anyone around here, and you'll find out I am the definition of original thinker and generally go the opposite direction of conformity. So, I wouldn't go throwing around terms like Brainwashed, kid, before actually stopping to consider the meaning.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:I am a writer and a story teller at heart. Many of the main themes I like to stress are about people fighting for their right to choose how to live their lives free and unpressured by dictatorial or totalitarian thinking.

And I like to play through games where I play an autocratic ruler of a pure Orwellian state. You don't see me trying to crush Roas under my heel, though, do you? Now, if we had an online game going, maybe... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Now, if we had an online game going, maybe... KF

Hey, I tried to get you all to play Risk through the PS2 with me, and ya'll was scaaaared. :P
-G1

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

GhaleonOne wrote:

Kinda like nationstates or something???
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:Hey, I tried to get you all to play Risk through the PS2 with me, and ya'll was scaaaared. :P

I play Risk, but I play the physical version of Risk 2210 (I think that's the #. I never remember) where we get to use nukes :)

Ah.....good times. Stockpiling Nuke cards until someone plays Aramagedden on the final turn....and thene everyone uses them for free :D

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

GhaleonOne wrote:

Hey, I tried to get you all to play Risk through the PS2 with me, and ya'll was scaaaared. :P

I actually bought Risk, but what ended up happening is that my brother got enamoured with it and I found out network adapters cost $40. It's less expensive to just say I can beat you. :D :P

And I like to play through games where I play an autocratic ruler of a pure Orwellian state. You don't see me trying to crush Roas under my heel, though, do you? Now, if we had an online game going, maybe... KF

When I get Civ IV, we'll see how well that Orwellian state works against my mob rule, where the money overflows and public policy is held together by toothpicks. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Beat me. Hah! I know a secret glitch that will always allow me to the victor! :P

Nah, seriously, if you don't exit the menu system in Risk on the PS2 after using cards, you can reuse the same cards over and over, and stockpile a friggin' Armaggedon sized army and win with ease. Of course, I don't need that to win, but it is worth mentioning. :P

I play Risk, but I play the physical version of Risk 2210 (I think that's the #. I never remember) where we get to use nukes Smile

I actually have never heard of Risk 2210. I'll have to look into it. Sounds like a fun new twist to the game!
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:I actually have never heard of Risk 2210. I'll have to look into it. Sounds like a fun new twist to the game!

Oh man, it's great fun. It used to be our default game to play in college when we weren't doing serious gaming. It is only 5 turns, so it only lasts about half an hour, but it is so much fun.

The last two weeks before graduation it's basically all we played every day...drunk off our asses. Nothing like playing a game with WMDs when blasted ;D

Oh...and you get to collinize the moon as well. One of the custom rules I wanted to introduce was crashing the moon into the Earth as a last restort, hahaha.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:When I get Civ IV, we'll see how well that Orwellian state works against my mob rule, where the money overflows and public policy is held together by toothpicks. :D

Oh I am so afraid of getting Civ IV. My work is starting to pick up, and I'm afraid of having to come into work one day on half-an-hour of sleep because I was up 'til 5AM playing Civ the night before.

G1 wrote:Hey, I tried to get you all to play Risk through the PS2 with me, and ya'll was scaaaared. :Razz:

Well, I meant more like Alpha Centauri.

My favorite play-through of that was as Chairman Sheng-ji Yang of the Human Hive. I colonized like mad and introduced cloning to increase the best of my citizens a hundred fold. Of course, I'd weed out those who didn't 'agree' with my police state and focus on power. And once I was able, I introduced chemical agents into the air to render them ultimately subservient to the state.

Then it was just a matter of time before I had a large enough military to wipe the other bases from Planet at a moment's notice. I even named the craters where my enemies' headquarters once stood after myself. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote:Well, I meant more like Alpha Centauri.

My favorite play-through of that was as Chairman Sheng-ji Yang of the Human Hive. I colonized like mad and introduced cloning to increase the best of my citizens a hundred fold. Of course, I'd weed out those who didn't 'agree' with my police state and focus on power. And once I was able, I introduced chemical agents into the air to render them ultimately subservient to the state.

Then it was just a matter of time before I had a large enough military to wipe the other bases from Planet at a moment's notice. I even named the craters where my enemies' headquarters once stood after myself. KF

dude, you sound just like one of my best friends when he got AC back in sophmore year of college. he played it constantly, especially during a week when he experimented by not sleeping for a week.

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

I've never played Alpha Centauri. Lol. the only ac I know of and am waiting for is supposed to be coming out Nov. 23 as a 2 dvd set ;)

I WANT THE ADVENT PACK THOUGH!
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Roas Atrades wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:I actually have never heard of Risk 2210. I'll have to look into it. Sounds like a fun new twist to the game!

Oh man, it's great fun. It used to be our default game to play in college when we weren't doing serious gaming. It is only 5 turns, so it only lasts about half an hour, but it is so much fun.

The last two weeks before graduation it's basically all we played every day...drunk off our asses. Nothing like playing a game with WMDs when blasted ;D

Oh...and you get to collinize the moon as well. One of the custom rules I wanted to introduce was crashing the moon into the Earth as a last restort, hahaha.

Oooh, I've played that game! Mainly with my brother, so I don't need five turns to take over everything, but it's very fun. You also have ocean spaces that connect continents, and different commanders that get a D8 instead of a D6.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Sonic# wrote:Oooh, I've played that game! Mainly with my brother, so I don't need five turns to take over everything, but it's very fun. You also have ocean spaces that connect continents, and different commanders that get a D8 instead of a D6.

Try playing it with a full group. It's wild. Especially when you randomize territory ownership at the beginning.

When it's clear I am going to lose a game, I generally become what my friends and I term "The Roaving Horde". I just make a huge ass army and start rolling through entire country blocks.

Aaah, good times :lol:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Bah, I still and will always love Risk on the Sega Gen. I always pwned on that game :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."