Guess we should have expected this

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Guess we should have expected this

Post by Roas Atrades »

But I am still miffed.

I was just browsing Gamestop.com, and I decided to check out the games for the next wave of consoles.

Well, as some of you might already know, the comfy $40-$50 price range we've had on games for a good many years now...is jumping up to $60 :x

I should not be surprised, but I am...and it pisses me off :evil:

They already know we will buy new consoles and the games. Does the great hunger that is Capatalism really require they jack us for another $10???

bastards :(
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

That's because there will be some games that will be $60 and no MSRP exists for those games yet. If you recall, all DS games were priced at $50 before the system came out and PSP games, depending on where you looked, were priced for $50 or $60. They get marked down to their actual price.

But to put it into perspective, a game you paid $50 for 10 years ago was actually $62 of today's money.
-Rich-

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

After a discussion with Rune on the Shrine's MB, I can understand many sublte reasons why the price increase may or may not happen.

I still don't like it, but I accept and understand it in the scheme of things.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Well for me that's not too incredibly bad considering I'm very picky about the games I buy which means I don't buy many. Not to say that isn't expensive and I'm not more than a little annoyed by the rise in price.

I guess the prices are raised because the consoles are a step up and just worth more? I haven't really read up on the new consoles or games to really know. I'm assuming it's like when the PS2 and Xbox came out, they were super expensive (and in some cases still are) but after a while the prices came down. You can buy a PS2 for under $100 a few places online which I feel is a steal considering it's still such a great system. Of course it's probably coming down with the near release of the new consoles too.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Or we could all use the power of the purse and not buy their products until they drop the prices.
Vaporized before my eyes

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

This has happened before. Every few years (usually around the holiday season) retailers will bump up the standard price for new software. I assume that because they see a sharper than average decline in sales after the Christmas rush they drop it back down.

I'm pretty disgusted with the state of video game retail in the US, and mostly buy imports and second hand stuff. But that doesn't mean that the possibility that these periodic increases become permanent doesn't scare me...
「まあいいけど。」

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

You could look at it this way... we used to pay around $60 for certain games back in the SNES/Genesis days. My copy of Phantasy Star IV ran me $99 brand new the day it came out. Except now the costs are for development instead of manufacturing.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Rune Lai wrote:You could look at it this way... we used to pay around $60 for certain games back in the SNES/Genesis days. My copy of Phantasy Star IV ran me $99 brand new the day it came out. Except now the costs are for development instead of manufacturing.

I remember when I got PS 4.

It was a Friday...I saw it in what was then Babbages...and then after two hours of fanagling talked my mom into buying it. I played it like a madman getting most of the way through it. Then, whil I was I on X-mas break in Floridia, I stopped at the end to lvl up and get money for almost 2 weeks.

Then one day I sat down and beat it.

That was a happy day :D

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Rune Lai wrote:You could look at it this way... we used to pay around $60 for certain games back in the SNES/Genesis days. My copy of Phantasy Star IV ran me $99 brand new the day it came out. Except now the costs are for development instead of manufacturing.

I remember nearly spending $70 for Sonic & Knuckles new, before my mom dissuaded me. I was getting it from Santa. And that's $70 for a game that you could get, with many other games, for $20 today, easily.

I'd say we've come a long way. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Yeah, you can also be thankful the reigning system isn't a Neo Geo MVC where each game cart is $300 ;)
-Rich-

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Speaking of game prices How much are PS3 and XBox 360 games going to be? I don't think they'll be $50 but maybe they will be, anyone know.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Jyd3n wrote:Speaking of game prices How much are PS3 and XBox 360 games going to be? I don't think they'll be $50 but maybe they will be, anyone know.

That's what this whole thread is about. My opening post is all about how PS3 and 360 games are going to be $60 at launches.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

The $60 price tag is likely going to be the MSRP costs. Game development is getting more expensive, so companies will be charging more. I like the idea Nintendo is shooting for with the Revolution titles and how some of the low budget titles will be shipped out the door for less cash. I would hope all publishers are persuing the same idea.

Just remember to spend your money's worth. I'm still waiting for Mario Power Tennis to get a price cut.