Popful Mail

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
scaryice
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Popful Mail

Post by scaryice »

I already did a speed run of Lunar, and now I'm gonna go for this game, another Working Designs classic on the Sega CD.

I forget if I ever actually beat the game, but I'm just taking it one world at a time, mastering each one as I go.

There are five "worlds" in the game, and I'm planning to do each one as a different segment. So far, I've finished the first two and got these times:

World 1: 11'20"
World 2: 22'25"

The only thing I've bought so far was the electro cane for Tatt. I used one piece of fruit in the first world, and a few in the second world (you need it during the fight with Goradus).

Oh, and I did turn off the voices, or this would take much longer.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There may be a thread on the WDMB about playing this game quickly, as apparently there's an under 5 hours ending or something like that. I vaguely recall reading it, but on second thought it wouldn't help much...one piece of advice was to save at the end of big rooms and reload because you start out at the doorway, but Radix doesn't allow teleporting saves so it wouldn't work.

I've never played the game myself, though (someday I'll take it off the shelf...), so that's about the end of my input.

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

isnt that the game that had the remark

"Whats going on!? This place is clearing out faster than Euro-Disney!!!"
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Whoa, good luck to you.

I remember beating the game in under three hours. I turned the voices off, and only skimped on buying new equipment in Chilly. I only bought new equipment for Gaw there and that was it. Of course, unless you regularly upgrade your gear, your weapons will end up doing 1 point of damage to bosses. And against the last four bosses in the game, that would've been unacceptable, not to mention suicide. I'll be amazed if anyone beat the game without the best gear [i.e. visiting the last shop in Maniac Mazes]. Anyone, keep up the good work. :D

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I love Popful Mail, I must play it again soon. I thought Mail and Slick would've made a cute couple and it's cool that Melissa Gulden (sp?) who does Jessica's voice from SSSC also does Mail's and Slick is Ashley Angel who did Alex's voice. I gotta hand it to John Truitt though, I didn't recognize him as Mumbles the first time around! So many Lunar VAs in that game also makes it awesome.

Good luck on beating it quickly! I can't remember if I ever tried for the fast ending or not. I remember Lord Venuncio was hilarious, one of my favorite parts of the game. Also, was I believe the first time Mail meets Slick and he talks about making a bomb and Heather Locklear from Melrose Place :P That game is such a gem x)

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Ok, the only weapons I need to get are the Electro Cane for Tatt and the Fire Breath for Gaw. I shouldn't need to get any armor. Also, the last world may need to be split into two segments.

EDIT:

I'm going to get the third and fourth segments done this weekend. No boss or area is hard by itself, it's just a matter of doing everything perfect (or almost). I have to hit each boss like 30 times without getting hit twice.

Third segment should be about 22-25 minutes.

EDIT 2:

Got 21'45" for the third world, faster than I thought. I wasted 15 seconds because of a couple missed jumps, though. Out of the 4 boss fights, I only got hit 3 times. 2 of them were against the last one though, so I did have to use an apple. But it was pretty good.

EDIT 3:

(It's stupid how you can't reply to your own posts)

10'16" for the fourth world/segment.

That gives me a total of about 65 minutes to this point. I'm planning on splitting the last world into 2 segments (before the Orb Tower). It should take around 105-110 minutes or so for the entire thing.

But, I've already decided that I'm not satisfied, and I'm going to redo the whole thing to make it as perfect as I can. That means no fruit, and very little wasted time. Plus, I got 2 elixyrs in the first 2 worlds, because I thought I would need them (as well as fruit), but I don't.

Actually, the one battle where I may need to use fruit is Goradus. The spikes falling is just too random. It might actually be faster to stand there, take a few hits and heal, rather than running back and forth to avoid them.