What are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Alunissage »

Bromide locations are different? Don't think I was aware of that. Although it would somewhat explain why the Prima guide seemed so bizarrely off, if they used the Saturn version. I'd expect the difference to be between Saturn and PS versions, not Japanese and English.

I've all but finished Mario and Luigi, only the last battle left. Spouse and I have been playing Zelda, and I've been watching him play FF7 too.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

They're different between the English and Japanese. I'm pretty sure there was something between WD and Prima regarding that guide, and they changed the bromide locations for that reason. I recall that WD didn't really want another guide being published besides their in-house one.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Bromide locations are different? Don't think I was aware of that. Although it would somewhat explain why the Prima guide seemed so bizarrely off, if they used the Saturn version. I'd expect the difference to be between Saturn and PS versions, not Japanese and English.
Yeah, the locations are almost all completely different. I've been marking down all the changes so far. For instance, the Three Sisters' bromides you buy from Ramus at one point in the game. However, Mia's Bromide 1 and Jessica's Bromide 1 you can get from the same locations. (Also, the Saturn version plays their vocal music when you view them.)

I've also been spot-translating a lot of dialogue and other text as I go, with emphasis on stuff that's different or surprisingly the same. For instance, the guy in Iluk who talks about "This week's 'Hot Girl News'" says the same thing in the Japanese version--only difference is that he says "this month's" instead of "this week's". Most differences are subtle and are usually understandable additions. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Currently playing God of War 2, Saints Row, and Dirge of Cerebus, also Dragon Song.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:I've all but finished Mario and Luigi, only the last battle left.
Would that be Superstar Saga for the GBA, or Partners in Time for the DS? I enjoyed Superstar Saga bunches, and I was eyeing Partners in Time the other day at Best Buy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Superstar Saga. I'd played it before, and I think it's much the better of the two. Not that Partners in Time is bad, but it's just not structured as interestingly as Superstar Saga -- very linear, basically no reason to go back to somewhere you've been (few or no secrets to find), no optional minigames, long dungeons. I also had some control problems with one or more of the special skills. I wouldn't mind playing it again someday because there were some very funny scenes and fun puzzles, but I definitely liked the other better.

Re SSS's bromides, I'm not sure I'd heard about WD changing the locations (though it'd make sense of that weird Jess 2 bromide flag) but I do remember the music being mentioned. They didn't have time or resources to rerecord Mia's and Jess's songs, so they just went with the instrumental music that plays in their intro scenes. I'll have to take a look at the various guides when I get home.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Superstar Saga. I'd played it before, and I think it's much the better of the two. Not that Partners in Time is bad, but it's just not structured as interestingly as Superstar Saga -- very linear, basically no reason to go back to somewhere you've been (few or no secrets to find), no optional minigames, long dungeons. I also had some control problems with one or more of the special skills. I wouldn't mind playing it again someday because there were some very funny scenes and fun puzzles, but I definitely liked the other better.
Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit disappointing to hear that Partners in Time is so linear, what with the subject of time travel opening up the possibility to do all sorts of fun things with sidequests and secrets and such. (Hello, Chrono Trigger much?)

If I get any new DS games, it probably won't be for a while anyway. I've got sort of a backlog of other DS games I mean to pick up at the store, but I generally tend to play one game until I'm sick of it before I start in on another. Right now the game I'm playing to death is Meteos, and I have a copy of Trauma Center: Under The Knife waiting patiently for me to give it some attention.

Maiku
Student of Vane

Post by Maiku »

I WAS watching my friend playing Devil May Cry, till he died and turned it off.I think I'll play Haunting Ground now.

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

I enjoyed very much Superstar saga, not so much partners i time though it was rather interesting.

Phoenix Dragon
Reza Thief

Post by Phoenix Dragon »

I've been playing Lunar: SSSC for a while now. I'm almost finished, come to think of it.
Insert signature here.

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

I'm replaying EBC in hopes that I'll actually beat it this time around. And occasionally I play a bit of Monster Rancher(the first for the PS1) here and there.

Phoenix Dragon
Reza Thief

Post by Phoenix Dragon »

I just couldn't resist starting a new file of EBC. I guess I just can't finish a file of SSSC without starting a new file of EBC the next day. I've gotten pretty close to the end of Disc 1 so far.

I did play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess yesterday. I got my 56th Poe, and I would've finished the Cave of Ordeals if it weren't for those three Darknuts and the ice enemies before them.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Replaying all of the Fatal Frame games. I love that series, I hope a fourth one comes out. :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I'm working a few games, including an online MMORPG. :P

Games I'm working on: Devil May Cry 3, Pokemon Diamond and Tales of Phantasia (sp?). The online game is called Trickster Online.

I love DMC3! I wish I would of been able to get it sooner than just a few months ago.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

StarCraft... when I have the time. Yes, I'm a dork, I'm winding up for SC2.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Just finished Atelier Iris 3 the first time around. Might finish AI2 after I complete a few more of the Legendary challenges in the Dragon's Nest. They are a biotch, trust me. After that, I might wait for Wild ARMs 5 to be released and play that. Ah, so many good RPG's, so little time.

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

I've been Tales of the Abyss for PS2. I don't like it as much as Tales of Symphonia (which I loved), but it's still pretty fun.

I also recently bought Children of Mana for the DS. It's pretty much just a nice diversion, nothing too special.

And, on top of that, I'm playing Lunar: SSSC (for the eighth time).

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Yeah, I just started a new file on SSSC the other day. I just made it to Saith today lol. :D I'm amazed at how attatched I am to this game and Lunar in general. I get so emotional lol.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy X, and I'm also playing Halo.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm diving into The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion these days. I'm barely into it, but it's pretty cool so far.