What are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Grey Fox »

I've started getting back into Dreamfall - The Longest Journey. It's a really fun game with a very interesting storyline. However when they say "Longest Journey" they don't kid around. I've never gotten to the end of the game but I'm certain that I was close at one point. I hope this'll take my attention for a while.
No ma'am...no your computer isn't broken, you are...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, right now.

Jenner occasionally nabs my DS and plays the same thing. ...but she got ahead of me... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kakoloukia
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Kakoloukia »

I'm on a retro binge right now.

Contra
Gradius 3
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts (I'm tearing my hair out over this!)
Heretic
Rise Of The Triad
Raptor: Call Of the Shadows
Uwe Boll brainstorming for Lunar: Silver Star Movie

Rick Astley as Alex, casting White Dragon Protect.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

LuNaRtIc wrote:Yeah, I just started a new file on SSSC the other day. I just made it to Saith today lol. :D I'm amazed at how attatched I am to this game and Lunar in general. I get so emotional lol.
you and i both. do you ever see people getting this way over OTHER games? i don't really see it with FF.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've gotten fairly attached over other games before. At the time I played FF7, I got pretty emotional, but not attached.

Right now I'm going through
Xenosaga Episode III
Medieval Total War 2 (as the French! Every border country *except* the English are attacking me. Dutch, Holy Roman Empire, Milan, Portugal, Spain, the Moors, the Egyptians...)
The Bard's Tale
TIE Fighter
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Boris Moskovitz
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Boris Moskovitz »

Final Fantasy XII: I'm two weeks overdue at Blockbusters, and I'm too afraid to return it. And it's not even because I like it or anything.

Kakoloukia
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Kakoloukia »

Sonic# wrote: TIE Fighter
Wow! A true gem right there. Played it myself plenty back in the day. Nearly broke my mouse (not to mention my Enter key) keeping up with those blasted A-wings.
Uwe Boll brainstorming for Lunar: Silver Star Movie

Rick Astley as Alex, casting White Dragon Protect.

Plantella
Lann Fisherman

Post by Plantella »

Sonic# wrote:Right now I'm going through
Xenosaga Episode III

I actually just finished that. I thought it was better than II and I loved the Xenogears references. But its still not as good as Xenogears :D

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I'm not really sure many games of this generation can top Xenogears. The only three I can think of off the top of my head are Legend of Mana, FFT, and Chrono Cross. Lunar is really close, but I don't think that it is really better or worse by a significant margin.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I thought Xenogears was a pretty good game, but it's not something I would play again. Though after playing it I played all the Xenosaga games again and I'm like: "Hey look at all these blatant refferences" lol :lol:

Oh yea and I forgot to add soemthing to my list. I'm also playing Atelier Iris 3 which I just got today.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm not really sure many games of this generation can top Xenogears. The only three I can think of off the top of my head are Legend of Mana, FFT, and Chrono Cross. Lunar is really close, but I don't think that it is really better or worse by a significant margin.
We must have different tastes, because I really disliked Xenogears. The story wasn't bad, for as far as I got, but I just got so bloody sick of the battle system that I finally put it down at some boss and quit. Never touched it again. Plus, out of the three games you mentioned, two of them, I thought their predecessors were better. I'd take Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger of Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross any day. I didn't play FFT, though so I can't comment on that.
-G1

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

GhaleonOne wrote: We must have different tastes, because I really disliked Xenogears. The story wasn't bad, for as far as I got, but I just got so bloody sick of the battle system that I finally put it down at some boss and quit. Never touched it again. Plus, out of the three games you mentioned, two of them, I thought their predecessors were better. I'd take Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger of Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross any day. I didn't play FFT, though so I can't comment on that.
I agree. I actually really liked the story. But, the battle system was very slow, at least I thought. I stopped about 15 hours into it.
Chrono Trigger > Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana > Legend of Mana
Final Fantasy Tactics > Any other SRPG

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I liked Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross comparatively much, and I daresay that I liked Legend of Mana more than Secret of Mana. But that's personal taste, and I still like SoM.

And again, I liked Xenogears too, enough to nearly play it through twice. But I can see where the battle system would be a turn off. It wasn't particularly inspiring for me.

But with that in mind, I'd definitely put Grandia up there too. (I'm counting Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia seperately, or they'd both trump it for me too.)
Wow! A true gem right there. Played it myself plenty back in the day. Nearly broke my mouse (not to mention my Enter key) keeping up with those blasted A-wings.
You used a mouse? You're braver than me. I can't do it with less than a joystick, and even then, those A-Wings... and eventually, those renegade TIE Defenders... *grumble*
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Skies of Arcadia is one of those classics to me. It's in the same league as Lunar, Chrono and Suikoden.
-G1

Plantella
Lann Fisherman

Post by Plantella »

GhaleonOne wrote:
We must have different tastes, because I really disliked Xenogears. The story wasn't bad, for as far as I got, but I just got so bloody sick of the battle system that I finally put it down at some boss and quit.
How far did you get? I think the first 20 hours or so are pretty horrid in Xenogears. In fact, I keep a save file right after the sewers so when I want to play again I dont have to bore myself to death before I get to anything good =P So I always like to make sure people get past that part before they decide if they like it or dislike it. Also, the last prolly 3 or 4 hours of the game blew me away,(at least the story aspect of it) it was awesome seeing how the whole story came together. I love the battles too, the sprites are so gosh darn cute in that game! And the gear battles require strategy, you cant rely on leveling up to help you through a fight, which I like.

I def like Xenogears more then SSSC but no game has effected me as emotionally as TSS has.

Boris Moskovitz
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Boris Moskovitz »

Xenogears? Remember Calamity? URGH! That was such a nightmare.

Oh, and the random battles popping up every 5 seconds didn't help much either. Amazingly enough, it had a story and soundtrack that could outweigh its many glaring flaws by 100 to 1. Hah. And I'm probably one of the few people that liked the second part of the game better than the first.

Still, I find this game, along with Secret of Mana, to be Square's true masterpieces. The rest is alright, but not really worth talking home about.

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

Plantella wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:
We must have different tastes, because I really disliked Xenogears. The story wasn't bad, for as far as I got, but I just got so bloody sick of the battle system that I finally put it down at some boss and quit.
How far did you get? I think the first 20 hours or so are pretty horrid in Xenogears. In fact, I keep a save file right after the sewers so when I want to play again I dont have to bore myself to death before I get to anything good =P So I always like to make sure people get past that part before they decide if they like it or dislike it. Also, the last prolly 3 or 4 hours of the game blew me away,(at least the story aspect of it) it was awesome seeing how the whole story came together. I love the battles too, the sprites are so gosh darn cute in that game! And the gear battles require strategy, you cant rely on leveling up to help you through a fight, which I like.

I def like Xenogears more then SSSC but no game has effected me as emotionally as TSS has.

I know you weren't asking me, but I got to the part in the desert where the red gear shows up and totally kicks your ass. I wanna say you're playing as Bart at the time, but it's been a year or so, so I can't remember exactly. (I remember there being another desert earlier in the game, so I might have gotten the Bart thing confused with that. :?: )

Like I said, it's pretty good (as far as I got) storywise, although I hear it gets quite better.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

How far did you get? I think the first 20 hours or so are pretty horrid in Xenogears.
Those sewers bored me for probably 2-3 weeks, but I did get past that. All I remember was an underwater boss, and since I ran from everything due a dislike of the battle system, I got slaughtered. I think I tried 2-3 times more, and just never got back to it. Ended up giving it to a friend as a going away gift, as he loved the game and was moving to Germany.
-G1

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

To clarify, I would take the predecessors any day myself, save for Legend of Mana, which I still think is really freaking brilliant. I meant games of that generation, you know, first and second PS, XBox, etc.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

I'm also giving The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past another go. One of my favorite games ever. Definately my favorite Zelda game...