RPG Maker

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Anordin
Pao Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

RPG Maker

Post by Anordin »

Has anyone used it? I downloaded some of the free versions about a week ago and I can say that it is a lot harder to make an RPG game than to play one. But I'm also amazed at how easy it was to do certain things as well. Any thoughts?
Heaven does not speak. It simply showed its will by his personal conduct and his conduct of affairs.
-Mencius, Bk V, Chap V, Legge Translation

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

It wasn't really "hard" unless you made your own graphics from scratch. Otherwise it was just time consuming. But my 30 hour game got deleted somehow. It just magically erased off of my memory card. :evil:

lunarRPG88
Meribian Merchant

Post by lunarRPG88 »

how do you get RPG Maker ?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't recall there being any legitimate free versions of RPG Maker. The widespread piracy of it is a stated reason for the PC version not being released in English.

The PlayStation and PS2 versions are available at the usual game stores.

There are also various homebrew tools/programs for making RPGs (and other types of games), which are mostly free.

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

The PC versions such as RPGMaker 95+, rm2k, and RPG Maker XP all were originally in Japan, then a few translators obtained these programs and created english patches. But as Alun stated the core programs aren't technically "free", outdated and not much care about piracy issues, the game is available on the net for download purposes.

Check out Google by typing either of the titles above if you want them, however I won't be posting any links since RPGM XP is somewhat recent unlike the others and that in turn may or may not be considered piracy/wares/roms here.

As for the PS and PS2 versions, the PS1 ultimiatly is the worse purchace ever, whereas the PS2 is somewhat "acceptable".
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Zhirl
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zhirl »

week late but eh nonetheless
RPG MAKER XP was released in the US September 18th or so. There's a 15 day trial or something. You download it off of CNET, and costs $60 to buy.
Curiosity killed the cat, white man brought it back.

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

I made a little environment with the RPGMaker XP trial, and I was actually pretty impressed by it. There are a few little annoyances when working with it, but you learn to deal with them pretty fast. I'd say it can meet your needs for basically any RPG though, and with relatively little work!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Bah, I tried freeware RPG makers (not the name brand mind you) but I didn't like them. The characters always moved laggingly, the bugs always made the thing crash, etc etc etc.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

SilverOcean
Lyton Singer

Post by SilverOcean »

I've used Rm2k, Rm2k3, RmXP, and RPG Maker 2 (PS2). The PS2 version is good, but frustrating to use. I personally believe the computer ones are easier to use.
Last edited by SilverOcean on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I have downloaded the full version of RPG Maker XP, but I haven't bothered to install it yet. One of these days when I have more free time, I probably will.

iamstillhiro1112
Saith Pirate

Post by iamstillhiro1112 »

l spent 300+ hours on the PS1 version. It was pretty impressive at the amount of freedom it gave you. A first for the consoles. I couldn't figure out the PS2 game, but I hear RPGM3 is easier and better.

I also have RPGMaker XP and I think it's pretty good. I miss the play movie feature from the last version but I found this thing to be pretty bug free. The character creation is alot better in this version.

Kobalt
Lann Fisherman

Post by Kobalt »

I've never really tried RPG Maker games and I was just wondering what the appeal is to them. Since, for me, the lure of playing an rpg was to slowly uncover the story behind it.
No one can know the path that I walk.