What are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, there was a turtle (?) with three heads which bounced around like the heads of that multiheaded dragon whose name I can never remember, or like Blind's heads in LttP. That one was ridiculously easy though. Anyway, I don't mind playing II; I-Gene's been curious about it for a while, I think.

I want to replay Master Quest myself, now that I finally finished that Ocarina playthrough. I only played Ura-Zelda before, so it might be nice to play and actually read the hints for the puzzles, though clearly I managed to solve them without reading them. Maybe I'll find an explanation for getting an extra key in the Water Temple, or how to get into that last room in the Bottom of the Well.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I started trying to use some of the hints, and then realized how scattered the Skulltulla's are in some dungeons compared to OoT, and gave up. Now I'm just trying to complete the Master Quest and go on to play Wind Waker through the Christmas season, since I never finished it before and lost my save. Kind of in prep for Twilight Princess.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm almost ready to play through WW again. I got so burned out on it when I first played (which was several hours a day, since I had the time) that I couldn't contemplate replaying it. It's been two and a half years now so some of it's faded. We should still have my new game+ save to use.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:
Otherwise, I've been playing Civ IV. Still doing my first game in the easiest mode, to get used to it. Regardless, I take pride in my mighty Greek empire and the levelled-up mechanized infantry and armor at my disposal. Also, it pleases me to see that Judaism, my state religion, is easily the most successful (only Hinduism begins to rival it).

Ah, Civ IV.

One of my best friends is probably going to work on no sleep right now because of that....if he isn't in china at the moment that is :P

I'm busy finally setting about conquering the rest of the continent I'm on.

What's impressive is that you can actually live in peace with your neighbors for as long as you choose. But it's getting tiresome now having this extremely advanced army and nobody to use it on. The only thing that spares the rest of the world is my disinterest in building a navy.

Long live the Qin Dynasty! We swear to build the first prototype nuclear weapon, send a man to the moon, and create the first sustained fusion reaction by 1920. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote:
Roas Atrades wrote:
Otherwise, I've been playing Civ IV. Still doing my first game in the easiest mode, to get used to it. Regardless, I take pride in my mighty Greek empire and the levelled-up mechanized infantry and armor at my disposal. Also, it pleases me to see that Judaism, my state religion, is easily the most successful (only Hinduism begins to rival it).

Ah, Civ IV.

One of my best friends is probably going to work on no sleep right now because of that....if he isn't in china at the moment that is :P

I'm busy finally setting about conquering the rest of the continent I'm on.

What's impressive is that you can actually live in peace with your neighbors for as long as you choose. But it's getting tiresome now having this extremely advanced army and nobody to use it on. The only thing that spares the rest of the world is my disinterest in building a navy.

Long live the Qin Dynasty! We swear to build the first prototype nuclear weapon, send a man to the moon, and create the first sustained fusion reaction by 1920. KF

That was always one of the most amusing/kinda silly aspects of all Civ games: that ability to have certain technology long before its historical inception. Don't get me wrong, I always loved using my howizters against someone still using musketeers, but it was always kinda silly.

I look forward to Civ IV someday, but I've got a Mac, a fossilized G4 at that too, which couldn't handle Civ IV in its best day :P And that's besides the fact that I haven't checked for a Mac release date anyways.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:That was always one of the most amusing/kinda silly aspects of all Civ games: that ability to have certain technology long before its historical inception. Don't get me wrong, I always loved using my howizters against someone still using musketeers, but it was always kinda silly.

On the contrary--it even makes historical sense. There were a lot of historical events in real history that set back the tide of science. Much of the Middle Ages, for instance, was less advanced than, say, the Roman Empire--meaning after the fall of the Roman Empire, technology in Europe took a turn back (until the Reinaissance, which literally was trying to 'return' to that Classical era).

Then you have the Chinese empire, which was the most advanced in the world for much of history. A very simplistic explanation is that it went into stagnation in about the 15th century while the rest of the world 'caught up'.

Then, the Vikings, Malinese, and Chinese all reached the New World before the Western Europeans. But it was only with Spanish arrival that there began a longstanding outsider presence within this hemisphere (notwithstanding the original inhabitants).

Had there been no Dark Ages, or had China not slipped into stagnation, we'd likely be at a much more advanced stage of technology now than before. That's one thing I do like about Civ games: you can avoid all those pitfalls which happened in reality.

Besides which, once I start playing at a moderate difficulty level, the rest of the worlds' technology will rival my own. But for right now, I'm a good century ahead in technology versus my opponents. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote:
Roas Atrades wrote:That was always one of the most amusing/kinda silly aspects of all Civ games: that ability to have certain technology long before its historical inception. Don't get me wrong, I always loved using my howizters against someone still using musketeers, but it was always kinda silly.

On the contrary--it even makes historical sense. There were a lot of historical events in real history that set back the tide of science. Much of the Middle Ages, for instance, was less advanced than, say, the Roman Empire--meaning after the fall of the Roman Empire, technology in Europe took a turn back (until the Reinaissance, which literally was trying to 'return' to that Classical era).

Then you have the Chinese empire, which was the most advanced in the world for much of history. A very simplistic explanation is that it went into stagnation in about the 15th century while the rest of the world 'caught up'.

Then, the Vikings, Malinese, and Chinese all reached the New World before the Western Europeans. But it was only with Spanish arrival that there began a longstanding outsider presence within this hemisphere (notwithstanding the original inhabitants).

Had there been no Dark Ages, or had China not slipped into stagnation, we'd likely be at a much more advanced stage of technology now than before. That's one thing I do like about Civ games: you can avoid all those pitfalls which happened in reality.

Besides which, once I start playing at a moderate difficulty level, the rest of the worlds' technology will rival my own. But for right now, I'm a good century ahead in technology versus my opponents. KF

I meant in the absurd sense like a B-1 bomber strafing a nation still in the Feudal Era or having my whole nation connected by railroads while someone hasn't even discovered roads yet :) You know, the really out there stuff.

As a history major, one of my favorite things to do in comparison discussions was to list civilization differences in select eras to create a background of how truly different they were, and thus how they all developed differently in the end.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:I meant in the absurd sense like a B-1 bomber strafing a nation still in the Feudal Era or having my whole nation connected by railroads while someone hasn't even discovered roads yet :) You know, the really out there stuff.

See that's a sign you need to up the difficulty. The third setting (fourth on Civ4) is where the computer is supposedly equal to you. Once I started playing there, it was like a whole different game. I was usually equal in technology for about 90% of the game, and I had to plan out conflicts and invasions, since I couldn't rely on superior weaponry alone.

This is still my first play-through, so I can get used to the ropes. After this, I'm sure it'll be considerably more difficult. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Currently playing for the very first time in my life:
-- Chrono Trigger
-- Final Fantasy 2

I won't play FFVII or beyond until I finish the originals.. I know, I'm quirky like that.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote:
Roas Atrades wrote:I meant in the absurd sense like a B-1 bomber strafing a nation still in the Feudal Era or having my whole nation connected by railroads while someone hasn't even discovered roads yet :) You know, the really out there stuff.

See that's a sign you need to up the difficulty. The third setting (fourth on Civ4) is where the computer is supposedly equal to you. Once I started playing there, it was like a whole different game. I was usually equal in technology for about 90% of the game, and I had to plan out conflicts and invasions, since I couldn't rely on superior weaponry alone.

This is still my first play-through, so I can get used to the ropes. After this, I'm sure it'll be considerably more difficult. KF

Last Civ I played myself was Civ II, and I usually just did it when I had nothing else to play. I think I kept it at average, and about the only difficult thing I really did was saturate the world with the maximum number of nations. I didn't really get to play Civ III when it came out, cuz that was the end of my senior year. One of my best friends (the one who is probably in China right now) had it, but we were more interested in table top gaming, miniature gaming, and playing Risk 2210 drunk than playing on the computer those last weeks :)

I had a friend in college, the year before Civ III came out, who would play Civ II at the hardest level. I remember we'd be talking about it, and he would start -Borgan- that a single phalanx unit was holding off his howitzer unit. It was after that that I decided I'd just continue to casually play Civ II, since I wasn't really the best at it anyway.

I'm much better at the Master of Orion games :P

I'll probably pick up Civ IV in the future when my computer isn't an antique, and I can get it for $20.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

-- Chrono Trigger

One of the best ever. Only behind Lunar for me.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:
-- Chrono Trigger

One of the best ever. Only behind Lunar for me.

Before I sold it bundled with all my other SNES games, along with my SNES on ebay at the end of my freshman year, I had almost everyone to 99 in that.

It was at the point where it was basically a virtual comic book/novel I played through whenever I felt like it, it moves so fast.

I only wish Cross had been as classic. Don't get me wrong, Cross was a good game, I just think it could have done without the massive cast and trick ending, which for a true ending was pretty weak.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:Last Civ I played myself was Civ II, and I usually just did it when I had nothing else to play. I think I kept it at average, and about the only difficult thing I really did was saturate the world with the maximum number of nations. I didn't really get to play Civ III when it came out, cuz that was the end of my senior year.

Yeah, there were a lot of issues with CivII that I didn't like that were finally ironed out in both Alpha Centauri (awesome game, by the way) and Civ3.

For Civ2, at lower difficulty levels (1st through 3rd), including more nations doesn't make the game more difficult--actually, at Chieftan level, it makes it easier since you can contact more civilizations early on in the game, giving you more targets for early expansion and the like. By the 4th difficulty level, more enemies means more difficulty. Now, they've altered enemy AI as well, so more civilizations on the map also means your strategy might have to fundamentally change--for instance, the Japanese have come to me with a "you're either with us or against us" mentality so many times, but I placate them by trading resources they don't have access to.

Also, the random map generation in Civ2 was atrocious... It was always a jumbled mess, no matter what setting you picked. It was ironed out in Civ3, and now it's really good in Civ4.

Anywho, I'm nearly towards the end. Just about to finish building a Space Elevator to hurry along my production of humanity's first interstellar ship. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Yeah, there were a lot of issues with CivII that I didn't like that were finally ironed out in both Alpha Centauri (awesome game, by the way) and Civ3.

Yet another game my friend in China played to the point of no sleep (he's really good at the Civ games). Again, I didn't play this one myself, but I did spend a good deal of time watching him for amusement.

It was AC that he chose to keep his sanity grounded the week in sophmore year that he decided to experiment not sleeping. Now that was an interesting week :lol:

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Currently playing:

-Dragon Quest VIII
-Final Fantasy IV
-Animal Crossing: Wild World

All of them are really fun games. :D

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Started up Super Metroid again tonight to try some stuff. I was very pleased to pull off a couple of speed tricks/sequence breaks, even though I took at least ten times as long to get them to work as it would to do things the slow wayOh well, I'm still happy even if my thumbs are killing me and my boss fights were terrible.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Just finishing Dragon Quest VIII and am playin Puzzle League (Tetris Attack)/Dr.Mario for GBA.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Started Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life. It was going to be a return to either Disgaea or a beginning of Digital Devil Saga, but my brother ran off with my PS2 memory card so he could use our custom Soul Caliber III characters against his friend when I got the hankering to start something... so I played with my GameCube instead. Totally different game type, but oh well. ^^

When playing Harvest Moon I tend to pick the first name that comes to mind when naming anything other than the farmer (which always uses my real name) and my dog (which is always named Kazyr). As a result, I am now the owner of "Floppy Farm." Don't ask how a farm is floppy because I don't know, but it sounds kinda cute at least...
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Rune Lai wrote:As a result, I am now the owner of "Floppy Farm."

That's really funny, haha.

I'm not sure why it's so funny, but I'm laughing :lol:

Kobalt
Lann Fisherman

Post by Kobalt »

Recently I've played:

Xenosaga
Guilty Gear Isuka
Growlanser Generations

And I just finished Shadow the Hedgehog.

Side note: It's possible to summon the characters from Growlanser II to Growlanser III, but that doesn't come until way later in the game.

Spoiler:
After beating Growlanser III, wait for the credits to roll by and see a scene that reveals that the events in Grow III actually lead up to how Grow II starts.
No one can know the path that I walk.