The Growlanser Series-Like or Dislike

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kobalt
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Growlanser Series-Like or Dislike

Post by Kobalt »

What ar your thoughts on the Growlanser Series?
Like it or dislike it.
What's your opinion?
No one can know the path that I walk.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I like the series, even though I have only played through II a couple of times. Story, characters, and the strategic feel to battle are all good.

On my first play through, before knowing of multiple endings, I just went with what felt natural and got the Riveria ending. The entire flow of the game is nice. It was fun the second time around to get some things I didn't get and unlock some scenes I missed the first time.

My only beef is that I wish it was longer :P I'm the kinda freak that likes an 80 hour game.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Well, my screen name is a Growlanser reference, so yes, you could say I like the series.

It's too bad the first and fourth installments didn't make it to America, they're actually quite a bit better than II and III. They're better balanced, more challenging (GL4 is especially difficult), longer, etc. I still like II and III a lot, though.

I really hope Growlanser V makes it over. Aside from how much I like the series in general it looks like they're trying some neat ideas with it (I'm particularily interested to see how the chapter-based story progression works out). Maybe since it's 3D it'll have better odds of being approved if somebody like Atlus decides to bring it over.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've only played II and III, but absolutely loved both. First, I loved the strategy aspects of it. They weren't new to me, but they were well-done and engrossing... I felt like I had a vested interest in it.

Then the characters and the story are nicely done. I particularly like the feel of the second game, a sort of romanticized military feel to several of the main characters and the progression in general. The idea of different kingdoms that weren't entirely good or evil was also refreshing. They did things for certain reasons. True, you have some evil force operating, but... there's more to it.

Plus, any optimistic game wins me over instantly, as long as it's well done otherwise.

Oh, and voice-acting + very well done character portraits = yay!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kobalt
Lann Fisherman

Post by Kobalt »

My personal favorite is Growlanser III. I liked Growlanser II for its to have the player choose how they wanted to play the game, such as being able to choose whether or not Wein stays as an imperial knight, or becomes a mercenary working for Wolfgang. However, it just didn't feel quite as real to me, since most of the exploring was done via point and click map and I couldn't really interact with the enviroments. Growlanser III, albeit, the storyline is more linear than Grow II, brings back a little of the old rpg feel to me, which is what I like. I still love the series as a whole, though, mainly because the art is done by my favorite artist, Satoshi Urushihara.

My only wish is that someone continues to bring the series over hear. I'd hate to miss out on Growlanser IV and V.
No one can know the path that I walk.

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

I love the series it is amazing..
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"

Lord_Ghaleon
Student of Vane

Post by Lord_Ghaleon »

Personally I love the Growlanzer series becuase it is my style of gameplay, it is much like FFT, Arc the lad, lunar series all of which I like.

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

The series is great, also the last game WD ever made to my knowledge so it has certain sentamental properties as well. Story is pretty good but the character developement is where this story has its best area.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Plot wise I tend to think that GL2 suffers from trying to be a direct sequel to GL1. Since GL1 didn't really leave much in the way of loose ends, parts of GL2 come off as rather contrived. GL3's plot starts out well, but by the second half it comes across as rushed, with some events not getting proper development and/or resolution.

Still, I really like the characterization (for the most part) in both games. Kudos to the writers in that regard.

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

I only recently picked up Growlanser Generations (Deluxe, in fact!). I had meant to get it long ago, but it was always difficult to find. I started looking on ebay around the time WD went down and I saw the Deluxe pack go as high as $100 so I stopped looking.

When New Super Mario Bros came out, I was at GameStop to pick it up when my eye caught the Deluxe box behind the glass across the way. I asked to take a look at it and it turned out to be $80. I honestly didn't have the cash (rent was coming up), so I handed it back. The girl was like, "hold on, it might be on sale." She went to look and then said it was $60.

I couldn't pass up on that deal. I needed a new watch anyway :D Well, the batteries, of course, were dead. So, I still don't have a watch, and I didn't want to take out some links to make it fit anyway (I'm a collector at heart, so it wouldn't be right to wear it anyway).

At the time, I was busy replaying Secret of Mana, Windwaker, and Dragon Warrior 1. I put Growlanser II in just to see what it was like. You know, for like 5 minutes, just to test the waters...

Five and half hours later, I had to get to bed since I had to be at work in a few hours.

So yeah, I was pretty damn impressed with the game. I'm still not done with it (I just finished the cat-girl side story), but I can't stop playing it (except to post here, of course).

Speaking of which, I need to get back to it so I can finish it soon and then get back to the games I was playing before then!

lucia24
Student of Vane

Post by lucia24 »

I like it.It's a good game to me. :D

"Even if a day should go by when I don't say I love you,
May never a moment go by without you knowing I do."