Naruto

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Mychael216
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Naruto

Post by Mychael216 »

So, anyone out there watching Naruto? English or Japanese? Personally, I'd much rather watch the Japanese with subs, but my computer sucks and I can't donwload the early episodes... Maybe I'll get a better computer in the future.

I think that the English version isn't as bad as it could be but it's still pretty bad. They did get some decent voice actors for some of the characters. However, that too sucks for the most part.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I find the English dubbing to be quite good. They didn't mangle the translations, and the character voices fit the personalities pretty well.

A lot of folks got so used to the Japanese voices that its hard to view the English dubbing in an objective light. But considering the par of English dubs, Naruto is definitely above average. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

I've only watched a little of it but from what i have seen it is very well done and does very well at keeping up with the manga.

neofreak
NPC

JUMP

Post by neofreak »

I do! I love Naruto!!!!!!!!! I look forward to buying a new shonen jump! (I don't subscribe :( ) I love Nihongo lessons!!! Naruto, Shaman King and sometimes Hikaru no go are the only mangas I usually read... Anyway I DO WATCH THE ANIME BUT I'M NEVER GIVING UP JUMP!!![/b][/code]

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Yup, my cousin got me hooked on Naruto a long time ago. And sadly, I'm one of those people Kiz was talking about, so I don't think too highly of the dubbed version on Cartoon Network. ^^; It's not so much the dubbing I'm upset about, it's just that they put the show on Cartoon Network. :? I really don't think Naruto's a kid's show. They've already had to cut out so much, I wonder what they're planning to do during the big fight on Tazuna's bridge. :roll:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

celestiallight
Lann Fisherman

Post by celestiallight »

For me it is Filipino-dubbed in ABS-CBN then Hero Channel...

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

I watched this show up to episode 120, then I got stuck because I was up to date, so I stopped for a while. That, and the flashbacks started to get HORRENDOUS. Shows should NOT flash back to the beginning of the SAME EPISODE!

lunarfan101
Burg Farmer

Post by lunarfan101 »

to me, the naruto dubbing SUCKS. i read all the way to vol. 14 and, to what it seems to me, they messed it all up. the voices sound odd, and i'll bet that they'll cut out any scene with an excessive amount of blood in it. whenever people dub anime, it just kinda messes it up. just my opinion, though.

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

Wow... Why do so many people hate dubbing... Dubbing is always better in my opinion... I actually hate subs... Dub rocks... All the anime I have seen sounds a lot better Dubbed and fits the characters looks with voice much better.

Also... about this topic... I dont like Naruto its to kiddyish and comedy for me... Watched some of it and I was dissapointed... didnt live up to the hype its not serious enough.
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"

lunarfan101
Burg Farmer

Post by lunarfan101 »

are you serious? when it gets farther into the anime, it's not so kiddish anymore, but i'm not about to spoil it for whomever didn't read the manga

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

lunarfan101 wrote:are you serious? when it gets farther into the anime, it's not so kiddish anymore, but i'm not about to spoil it for whomever didn't read the manga

Yep dubbing all the way for me... cant stand the japanese voices most of the time... lol especially DBZ.. Goku sounds like hes 5 years old... lol. Nowhere near as good as the american dub...

Naruto when I saw it... or what Ive seen is childish with oh I turn into a bunch of girls to beat the enemy cuz they are like whoa! I mean cmon thats corny.
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"

lunarfan101
Burg Farmer

Post by lunarfan101 »

for me, Sakura's dubbed voice sounds screechy and annoying (but she is even without it!). but did you know that Masashi Kishimoto purposely made her the annoying character. and you're talking when Naruto did 'Harem No Jutsu'? Naruto doesn't use that to beat enemies (except for Ebisu) but to make the guys act REALLY stupid (just for the reference, ALL Naruto guys are either closet or open perverts! >:P). but it really DOES get serious, just keep watching.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah Naruto on the whole is a really great series. It progresses so much along the way, though, to the point where it's 'grown up' with its watchers.

Regarding the voices, I'm still by what I said earlier. I like to evaluate the Japanese and US voices on equal ground, and way too many folks go overboard with "all dubbing / subtitling sucks". Sakura's voice is pretty irritating no matter what the language, though that's also because I think Sakura herself is really irritating. Naruto, likewise, is a kid, and definitely so in the first few seasons.

On the whole, the voices are pretty much on-key with the actors. Usually it's hard for people who've watched everything subtitled so far to get used to new voices, but just because the voice actors are different doesn't mean they're "don't fit the characters". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

lunarfan101
Burg Farmer

Post by lunarfan101 »

i actually just watched the episodes 101-108 and this really funny 15-min. episode. 'Konoha Sports Fair', that's what it's called. actually, when the series progresses, to my opinion, it's really sad. oh, and i know about the episodes from reading a lot of Naruto manga. but i'm still used to the japanese voices.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I've been watching it since it started airing on Toonami, sonce I only go the fansub route for something I deem special.

I'm enjoying Naruto enough, and I'm continuing to give it a chance because anime fans I know have given it enough praise. With a garuntee that it picks up as it goes on, I'll continue to give it time.

As for dubs .vs. subs, for me it all depends on which version I hear first for a series. If I hear a dub first, it imprints itself on me and I stick with it, and vice versa for subs. If given a choice with a DVD, I generally listen to a sub first because the soundtrack within the DVD usually sounds better. Sometimes I notice with dubs on DVDs that the music is a lower volune behind everything else.

But compared to the old, dark days, dubs have come quite far. Where they used to indeed strain the ears, now the general amount, IMO, are pretty decent and not bad. I guess that's what comes out of the VA packages that the companies use. Consistancy does sometimes lead to quality.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Jolkie
Lann Fisherman

Post by Jolkie »

i preferr the english version of naruto. but the japenese version is ok too.
the manga's and comics arn't bad ethier.

lunarfan101
Burg Farmer

Post by lunarfan101 »

i took this quiz on quizilla to show if you actually knew about naruto, or you just really have a shallow understanding of it... some questions i really had to think about them! *looks through favorites* now i know i had it around here somewhere...AHA!

http://www.quizilla.com/users/Sangochan56/quizzes/Test%20your%20knowledge%20of%20Naruto!!%20Are%20you%20an%20Americanized%20idiot%3F%20Or%20the%20Real%20Deal!!!!/

i like taking this whenever i bored! ^.^ just copy and paste!