Next Lunar handheld title.

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Nanashi
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Next Lunar handheld title.

Post by Nanashi »

Well, if you were in charge of things, how would you make the next Lunar handheld title? Would it be remake or original story? Would it be on DS? PSP?
Or GBA? What it follow classic Lunar formula or be something new? Post your ideas here...

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Two options:

A new 2D game on the DS would be great. Just, not all screwed up like Dragon Song was.

Secondly, I'd also love for ports of the Sega CD games to the PSP. Or even ports of the remakes would be good.
-G1

Nanashi
Saith Pirate

Post by Nanashi »

yeah i'd like the remakes on the PSP... mostly because I've never played SSS or EB before...

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I'm in the camp of no more handheld titles, please :D

If Lunar is going to revived as a franchise, I'd much prefer it be on a console, whether it be PS3, 360, or even Revolution. I don't care, I just think a much better game could be made rather than a port, even though a port for those who have not played the originals would be fun. But for an old, established fan such as myself, I'd hope for something more gradiose :)
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'd have one of those handhelds with the 256 games in one! And then you could have LUNAR Block Wars and LUNAR tank race and all that... no, no, no... *wretch* no...

Actually, I'd have an original story. It'd be on the DS. It'd combine fairly innovative uses of the pad (like alternate enemy selection, tracing a path for a character to go on the battle screen, etc.) with classical elements (range as a factor, range of spells, good character balance)... the plot would be at once engaging, but also a good vehicle for character development (probably resembling 2 more than 1 in this respect; not necessarily couples, but definitely getting along well... hilariously so).

And there would be manga-style cutscenes, like those from PS4. Voice acting... limited, but there, for opening, closing, perhaps climax.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

In all honesty, I agree with Roas. While I'd take a good handheld Lunar, I'd much prefer a new console version.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

If I was incharge of anything, I would release a super bundle pack of all Lunar Games and Major Ports to the PSP. *sigh*

Lunar + PSP = <3

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

There's no way they'd fit. I'm not sure how big those UMD discs are, but I doubt you could fit all the Lunar titles (TSS, EB, SSSC, EBC, WS, MS, Legend and Dragon Song) on even 2 discs.

I mainly said a compilation of the originals because I'm almost positive those PSP discs can hold quite a bit more than a DS cart. TSS might be manageable on the DS, but EB likely wouldn't without massive scalebacks.
-G1

Nanashi
Saith Pirate

Post by Nanashi »

UMDs can hold about 1.8 Gigabytes... Now with modern audio and video compression (the PSP uses Sony's AAC) which is already built into the firmware... you'd probably be able to fit a HUGE amount of stuff on it...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Yeah, the discs can fit quite a bit. I mean, you could technically play the remakes for the PS on one disk, the movie files where what made you switch the disks. As the above poster said, newer ways to compress, along with disks that can old about twice what a standard PS disk could probably hold, I say you could fit the games. But fit them on, what, maybe something like 5 disks, 7 disks? After all, it would be a package deal.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

Something I think would be interesting (interesting, not necessarily good) is a DS game that requires the use of both ports. It would allow bigger games, among other things...
Boktai DS

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, there's Metroid Prime Pinball, with a rumble pak in the GBA slot.

I'd like to see Magic School updated for a current handheld. Nowadays there might be a chance that it'd get translated. :P

Nanashi
Saith Pirate

Post by Nanashi »

In any case... with newer compression technologies you could probably fit the originals and remakes of SSS and EB on one UMD...

ZP
Pao Hunter

Post by ZP »

Roas Atrades wrote:I'm in the camp of no more handheld titles, please :D

Yup, no more handhelds, and no more remakes. I'd want Game Arts and gamers alike to take Lunar III at least as seriously as Grandia III.

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

A man can dream, so this is what I would do:

Title: Lunar Ultimate Collection (Tentative title)
System: PSP
# of discs: 4
Pricetag: $59.99 for barebones.
Pricetag: $99.99 for deluxe edition.

-SSSC/EBC would be ported over with additional content.

-TSS/EB would be ported over from the SegaCD/MegaCD versions with no additional content. They would exist only for the sole purpose of allowing those that have never had the chance to play those games, the opportunity to do so.

-Additional dungeons, areas, bromides, bosses, and enemies would be included in SSSC and EBC.

-Minigames would be added.

-Multiple modes of play.

-Both Japanese and English dialogue and script would be included for all 4 versions. I never played the SegaCD versions, so I'm not sure if there is any spoken dialogue.

-Extra track(s) composed by Noriyuki Iwadare.

-Remix tracks by Noriyuki Iwadare.

-Ranking system.

-Secrets would be included.

-Addtional/alternate Endings.

SSSC/EBC OPTIONS

-Choice between Japanese or English dialogue.
-Choice between Original or Remix versions of songs. Remix songs don't exist to my knowlegde, excluding a few.
-Choice between Japanese or English text.
-Sound volume.
-Music volume.
-Equilizer.
-Sound fx on/off.
-Music on/off

SSSC/EBC Modes of Play
-Easy
-Medium
-Hard
-Solo Mode (all difficulties)
-Challange Mode (all difficulties, or solo)
-New game plus
-Boss mode (access to any boss fight that you have completed in all difficulties)
-Voice Collection
-Gallery
-Movie Theater
-Options

SSSC/EBC Challenge Mode

-Choose whether items are allowed or not.
-Choose whether equipment is allowed or not.
-Choose if magic is allowed or not.
-Choose # of saves allowed.
-Choose from a number of predetermined level caps.
-Choose the difficulty.

SSSC/EBC Solo Mode

-Choose if you want to go solo or not, and with which character. Once a character is chosen, the rest of the cast will be in the game, but not on the battlefield (unless for story purposes).
-You can choose the difficulty as well.

SSSC/EBC Ranking System

-A percentage will be given depending on the difficulty, mode, time, and number of saves used.

SSSC/EBC Secrets

-Extra Characters (Ghaleon?)
-Gallery
-Movie Theater
-New game plus
-Challenge Mode
-Boss Mode
-Super Rare Bromides (new ones of course)
-Uber bosses
-Additional/alternate Endings
-Additional equipment/items

That's all I can think of at the moment. Whew! :)

Lord_Ghaleon
Student of Vane

Post by Lord_Ghaleon »

Well, if the next lunar game had to be handheld I would prefer to have a new title for the DS so that the touch screen can be used. As much as I would like a remake of Magic School (because I have yet to play it) or EB or TSS for the same reasons, but putting those titles on the DS would almost be pointless unless they were to use the other screen as a map or some other usefull item. Like it has been stated before a new Lunar console game would be my first choice. (unless its for Xbox 360)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Lord_Ghaleon wrote: (unless its for Xbox 360)

Why? Does it really matter in the end?

Long ago, I pushed aside whatever principles I thought I needed to stand by when it came to Microsoft and their products, because I realized I was missing out on many good games in doing so.

Should Lunar be revived, and end up on the 360 (which I plan on buying by th end of 2006 or early 2007 to avoid first gen bugs), I for one won't care.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Lord_Ghaleon
Student of Vane

Post by Lord_Ghaleon »

Roas Atrades wrote:
Lord_Ghaleon wrote: (unless its for Xbox 360)

Why? Does it really matter in the end?

Long ago, I pushed aside whatever principles I thought I needed to stand by when it came to Microsoft and their products, because I realized I was missing out on many good games in doing so.

Should Lunar be revived, and end up on the 360 (which I plan on buying by th end of 2006 or early 2007 to avoid first gen bugs), I for one won't care.

True, true... and I really have no good reason to dislike the Xbox... but the reason I wouldn't want the game on Xbox 360 is because I plan on getting the revolution and PS3 so I don't particuarly want to spend even more for the 360 for one game.

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Same, if it comes out for 360 it means more money to be spent.

I'd prefer it and can see it coming out on the Revolution. Lunar would be a good game by Nintendo standards to make a platform game out of.But I swear, they butcher one more Lunar game and i'll boycott them for life.

Nanashi
Saith Pirate

Post by Nanashi »

^Butcher? Nintendo had nothing to do with the American production of Lunar: DS... You're looking for Ubisoft...