Shin Megami Tensei series

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
LuciaOne
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Shin Megami Tensei series

Post by LuciaOne »

I don't know if anyone has played any of the games from SMT, but it's a darned sweet series. I just picked up (and haven't been able to set down since) SMT: Nocturne. Apparently, SMT has had many other games on older consoles that were never brought over to the states. But with the most recent release of Digital Devil Saga, and Digital Devil Saga 2 coming out in August, this series looks like it's going to keep up...

Anyone played it?

It's very interesting... at least in Nocturne, you play a highschool boy who is in the right building at the right time when demons cause the entire world to end... That's right, the world ends within the first hour of the game ;D That's kinda different, eh? But to escape dying, a mysterious little boy drops a demon in to your face (apparently you eat it or something), and now you are part demon. So in the 'new world', which consists of demons running amock and wandering human souls, you can battle demons and get them to join you on your quest. Not only that, but you can fuse demons together and get entirely new and more powerful demons. It's very, very gritty and dark, but a total blast at the same time.

Too bad, though, because Nocturne is incredibly hard to find now (even though it was just released last summer), so if you can find it, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

:D

Moonshadow
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Moonshadow »

I borrowed this from a friend of mine for a week or so. It is a good game...just most games have lost their spark for me so I get bored with any game within a week. Although I also reccomend this game to anyone looking for a good RPG for the PS2.

Zhirl
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zhirl »

Played Nocturne and didn't like it...Many things I didn't like about it, but anyways I guess it's either a hit or miss with this game.
Curiosity killed the cat, white man brought it back.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I haven't finished Nocturne yet, but I'm near the end and it's definitely not your run of the mill RPG. I'm have a lot more fun with it than I did with Persona 1 (also part of the SMT universe), though that's more because the interface is so much better than anything to do with the story. It's a painful game in that you're pretty much going to wind up dying at some point, any way you look at it. It's no cakewalk, but since the difficulty is more based on planning and strategy rather than just being moronically tough I don't mind.

I haven't picked up Digital Devil Saga yet, but it's on my list of games to buy. I hope the SMT series keeps coming stateside.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

rf_switch
Iluk Crackpot

Post by rf_switch »

I got nocturne, and I just picked up Digital Devil Saga a couple weeks ago when it was released. I haven't really had time to play DDS much tho. I also got the two Persona games that came out over here for PS1. Theres also an english translation of one of the Super Famicom games floating around the net too.

Will Flausmier
Nanza Bandit
Location: Playing a flute for a while as a certain emerald vixen dances in front of me

Post by Will Flausmier »

I have Nocturne, and i'm getting my party ready to fight

Spoilers:.........
[spoiler]Lucifer![/spoiler]

I also seem to have a plot for a SMT roleplay on my computer.

Edit: this board now has a spoiler tag.

Magus00
Pao Hunter

Post by Magus00 »

I rented it, random battles happend too often. I couldn't even walk to steps in that with out getting a fight :evil:
All generalizations are false including this one.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

You know, I've heard that comment a lot, and sometimes the battles do come fast and furious (the final dungeon is especially bad--I think the encounter rate is based on area), but I think it's also a matter of knowing the battle system. Once you're able to customize your party more at the second city of the game it's possible to get a good variety of attacks to exploit your enemies' weaknesses. My current party is in the last dungeon (still) and usually can wipe out enemies in a single round. Also SMT:N has the best auto-battle I've ever seen since it actually cuts out the extra animations of having a character run up to a monster and whack it, which makes the battles go much faster.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Genocide
Pao Hunter

Post by Genocide »

The games are great, just not my style.