Ys!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ys!

Post by Sonic# »

I've been playing Ys: The Ark of Naphistim for the past few days. Rather obsessively, so I think I'm nearing the end. It's very fun. ^_^

It's the first Ys game I've played, and I've come to find out that it's the sixth out there. Where are the other 5? Are there going to be any others released? Are there any others to be found in English? I remember hearing at one point about The Oath of Felgana (sp?), but I've heard almost nothing otherwise...
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

lucia24
Student of Vane

Post by lucia24 »

I have also played Ys: The Ark of Naphistim , it is a very good game. I wish to know where to get the other ones but i cant seem to find them. :( Plus i have seen some of the anime and its pretty good.

"Even if a day should go by when I don't say I love you,
May never a moment go by without you knowing I do."

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Ys I came out in the US as Ys: The Vanish Omen for the Sega Master System and as part of the TG-16 compilation Y's Book I and II (which were the first and second games on one disc).

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys came out on the Genesis courtesy of the departed Renovation (which released a lot of anime-styled games for the Genesis, including the Valis series and El Viento) and I think it may have been released for the SNES and/or TG-16 as well. Ys III was untraditional in that it was a side-scroller and I think it's considered the bastard child of the series, but I've never played it so I can't say for certain.

Those are the only Ys games to make it to the US. Ys IV and V never made it stateside.

Ys I and II were released on PS2 as part of a compilation in Japan (they seems to love getting updated/compiled versions of Ys because they keep making them!) but I've heard that Sony shot down any chance of them coming to the US due to the fact they look dated.

Ys VI was updated in order to get its stateside approval. The Ark of Naphistim was originally a completely 2D game, but the characters and enemies were redone with 3D models.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Pardon my ignorance, is The Ark of Naphistim the PSP title?
I've only played the third one, and it seemed pretty unique in the way that it was one of only a handful sidescrolling RPGs around. I've heard people compare the other Ys games to the first Zelda, and Ys III to Zelda II. It makes me want to try the others, but I don't have a Master System laying around and my mastery of the Japanese language is lacking... entirely. I think there are translation patches at Aeon Genesis for a few of them though.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I believe Ys I and II were released (separately) on the NES as well. As Rune mentioned, there was a Japan-only remake on PC, Ys I and II Eternal, and this was later ported to PS2 as Ys I and II Eternal Story. I was quite diappointed that WD didn't pick it up and release it as Ys I and II Eternal Story Complete. :P

Ys VI (Ark of Napishtim) was released on PS2 before PSP. Hehe, I remember trying to play the PSP version at E3 last year and it froze quite badly. Should perhaps add that it was originally a PC game, and was released in Japan with a limited edition which included the first five games -- we have it but haven't gotten around to trying any of them.

I haven't checked recently, but I believe Oath in Felghana is a remake of Ys III, and one I've heard only good things about. There was a different remake of III not that long ago which apparently wasn't that great. The original was also on the SNES and TG-16, by the way; we have both. My fiancé much preferred the TG-16 (which after all is the one he played years ago), and I seem to recall it had somewhat different music. The last boss was also a bit different (and harder) in the TG version, as we found when looking up strategies and finding only walkthroughs for the SNES and Genesis releases.

There were two Ys IV games, Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun. The former was PC Engine (TG-16) and the later was Super Famicom. Dawn of Ys is supposed to be the better one (I think I read that the stories are similar but not that much), but we haven't gotten around to playing it. Ys V was also a Super Famicom game and came in two difficulty levels.

I'm pretty sure remakes of III, IV, and V were announced quite some time ago. Haven't been following RPG news in the last few months so I've no idea what's happened with that.

(If you think that's a lot of releases -- and I'm pretty sure there have been other rereleases I'm leaving out in addition to the I and II one Rune mentioned -- you should see the number of Ys soundtracks out there. Dozens of them.)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I've never played any of the Ys games and while people have said that they liked the sixth game I'm not sure if I would. I'm going to have to see if any of my friends have it because I just can't find myself interested in playing it otherwise. I think it's the whole concept of taking the plunge into a series I've never known and possibly being disappointed.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

It's a steep plunge, and maybe I'm lucky it tickled me so.

Thanks for the info, y'all. I'll probably start scouring ebay, since there's bound to be a good TurboGrafx emulator out there.

Another question... I've now beaten it, and... there's repeated mention of two other goddesses sort of being a complement to Alma, and allusions to Ys, a lost kingdom, but it's never explained (for obvious reasons). Is there any place where I can get a plot summary or something like that?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

Yeah i just bought that game and a psp the other day. Its a fun one!

SinReVi
Saith Pirate

Post by SinReVi »

The only Ys game I've finished is Ark of Napishtim (european PS2 version)

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

Alunissage wrote:I believe Ys I and II were released (separately) on the NES as well. As Rune mentioned, there was a Japan-only remake on PC, Ys I and II Eternal, and this was later ported to PS2 as Ys I and II Eternal Story. I was quite diappointed that WD didn't pick it up and release it as Ys I and II Eternal Story Complete. :P
That is very true, Alunissage. To date, Ys has been released on nearly every major console. Ys I and II ("Ancient Ys Vanished: Omens" and "Ancient Ys VanisheD: The Final Chapter" respectively), comprise the first part of the series, taking place in Esteria (which, BTW, was inspired by the real-life offshore island of Mont-Ste.-Michel in France).

Weirdly enough, the two versions of Ys IV ("The Dawn of Ys" for PC Engine, and "Mask of the Sun" for SNES), set in the land of Celceta, takes place BEFORE the events of Ys III!

Continuing on that note Ys III ("Wanderers from Ys" for Sega Saturn and its later remake "The Oath of Felghana"), take place in the region of Felghana, some six to nine months after the Celceta adventures.

Ys V (subtitled "Lost Sand Kingdom of Kefin") takes place in Xandria not long after that.

Then, the series proper concludes with Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, which takes place three years after Adol's adventures in Xandria. The events of this game also bring the series full circle, answering some unasked questions.

For instance, some long-time fans will realize that the Emelas seen in Ys VI is actually CLERIA, which played a large part in Ys I, II and IV! Another example: Alma's race, the Eldeen, are connected not only to the Celceta Dynasty of Ys IV, but also the Kingdom of Ys from the first two games...which opens up the possibility that the twin Goddeses of Ys, Feena and Reah, may in fact ALSO be Eldeen!