earth

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Joe17
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

earth

Post by Joe17 »

Ok, so without just saying God, where do you think all the matter to make up the universe came from? Also, if the universe is continuously expanding, where does it expand into and where does the extra mattter come from that new starts are made out of? I am only trying to stimulate the brains of my fellow gamers. :)

joe :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

Hmm... Well, if you want my honest response, God did just want to make things, so he put them there. Some people call it "the big bang" when everthing started, giving scientific theories of the right combinations of gas and particles to start the first substances of matter in the universe.

I say as a mere human, it's not my place to wonder about these things if I haven't heard God say anything about it.

When the two parties of reproductive nature meet, what does spark the whole thing? "Test-tube" experiments don't always work; even in very, very advanced situations. Because we don't know where all of the energy and what comes from, we often call it "the miracle of life".

EDIT: As to where everything goes, when universes come to have too much matter in them, they collapse. Sometimes they turn into "black holes", but I don't know much about that. When a star gets too big, it goes into a "super nova" and explodes, and the particles fly off to form other stars or galaxies, or rings around Saturn, or what have you.
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

If you believe in the big-bang theory and stuff, then matter is neither created nor can it be destroyed. It was just all compressed into a tiny area the size of a period. When it expanded, all the energy was released and yadda yadda yadda. Once then universe expands too much, it will begin to collapse, again compressing all matter into the size of a period. Never ending cycle.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Joe17
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Joe17 »

ok, well where do u think the matter came from to begin with?

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

At this point, I think there's just so much unknown about space to say how exactly our universe came about but Scientists believe now that the Blackholes have to do with the creation of the universe rather than the destruction of our universe.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Well, you could just say the matter's always been here. There's nothing complicated about that, granting the universe a cyclical nature. In this sense, it wouldn't have to have a beginning or an end. Of course, everything we can comprehend has a beginning, which is why we can't quite get past concepts like infinity and God in the first place.

If you want matter to literally *come* from somewhere, well... anything I think will probably be wrong. If I say it comes from somewhere else, where does that matter come from? If I say it's just made, then I'm going to have to say God or a fuzzy pink unicornucopieta thing, and you told me not to say the former and no one takes the latter seriously.

As for what I think? I favor the cyclical. I believe (and do not know) that nature has too many cycles for everything to be contained in finite time.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

phyco126 wrote:If you believe in the big-bang theory and stuff, then matter is neither created nor can it be destroyed. It was just all compressed into a tiny area the size of a period. When it expanded, all the energy was released and yadda yadda yadda. Once then universe expands too much, it will begin to collapse, again compressing all matter into the size of a period. Never ending cycle.
A common theory among astrophysicists is that the Universe will never cease expanding, the conclusion from this is drawn from the fact that scientists have discovered that over the last 13 Billion years the expansion of the Universe has only quickened, and not slowed down. The reason for this is the presense of "Dark Energy" or anti-gravity that is excelling the expansion, pushing all matter faster and faster away from each other.

If this continues all stars will die and turn into black holes, or white/brown dwarfs, the galaxies will drift away from each other, and as the vast majority of stars die in the next 100 billion years the Universe becomes a fairly lifeless dark void.

Granted these are just theories, but it is an exciting time for astronomy and cosmology. So many amazing discoveries.

Joe17
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Joe17 »

ok so I have a question. Can you explain dark energy and anit-gravity to me??? I can kind of pictue the universe as a cylindrical object that expands unbtil stars begin to implode and create black holes that over large periods of time relasing Hawkins radiation and from absorbing matter they begin to "fizzle" out and create large areas of dense gasses and solids that in turn form into a new star. once this new star is born, it begins to attract other matter towards it, creating a solar system, and the universe expands only to complete the cycle. Are you confused now, because I think I just confused myself. haha

joe

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

Joe17 wrote:ok so I have a question. Can you explain dark energy and anit-gravity to me???
Dark Energy is a hypothetical sort of negative pressure, so in the large scale of the Universe, instead of pulling everything towards itself, it pushes it away, overcoming a matter/gravity dominated Universe. Hence the term anti-gravity (They are when used in this case, one in the same). Some recent NASA proposed studies pointed out that some 70% of the Universe is made up of this Dark Energy.

It is also theorized that this Dark Energy could be Einstein's "Cosmological Constant", it is a homogenous substance of consistant density that fills and permeates all space evenly. I hope that helps some.
Joe14 wrote: I can kind of pictue the universe as a cylindrical object that expands unbtil stars begin to implode and create black holes that over large periods of time relasing Hawkins radiation and from absorbing matter they begin to "fizzle" out and create large areas of dense gasses and solids that in turn form into a new star. once this new star is born, it begins to attract other matter towards it, creating a solar system, and the universe expands only to complete the cycle.
The evaporation of a black holes mass through the gradual release of their energy actaully results in exponential heat-up. It is theorized that the endpoint then being an enormous gamma-ray burst. The death of a star can result in a new star, however the death of a black hole, so far, yeilds no evidence of creating new heavy matter like a star.

Also, the rate of expansion of the Universe will eliminate things like solar systems as all heavy mass in the universe drifts apart.

As far as the Shape of the Universe goes, that gets deeper into geometric astrophysics than I wish to go, but there are dozens of websites that can explain it better than I can. Just look up local or global geometry of the Universe on Google or something.

And no, you didn't confuse me. =)