Saddam about to be executed...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Saddam about to be executed...

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/World/Saddam_Hussein

Anyone see the news that Saddam is likely about to hang in the next few hours?
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i knew he was going to be executed soon but i didnt know it was today is it going to be on TV or did i miss it alredy?

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

"The State Department denied comments from Saddam's chief defense lawyer and Iraqi state television that U.S. forces had already handed the former president over for execution."

WHAT? Dammit, I wish they wouldn't do stuff like that. I don't know what you're supposed to do with people, but hanging them isn't it.
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Rimmie wrote:"The State Department denied comments from Saddam's chief defense lawyer and Iraqi state television that U.S. forces had already handed the former president over for execution."

WHAT? Dammit, I wish they wouldn't do stuff like that. I don't know what you're supposed to do with people, but hanging them isn't it.
if anyone deserves to be hanged its saddam

Dark
Lostest Boy

Post by Dark »

exigence wrote:
if anyone deserves to be hanged its saddam
Thats true But i think.. there is a lot more punishments which are worse than death is.
"Soul Eater show your power, TAKE their souls. NOW!!"

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

Is it going to be on TV? I want to -Fatal Hopper- see this.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

pop some popcorn find a comfortable spot, also id recomend tivoing it so you can watch it again and in slow-motion. :lol:

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

It's going to be any moment now. The idea of executing anyone is sickening to me, but apparently it's the only way for millions of Iraqis to finally have some peace of mind. As long as he lives, they will always be afraid of him.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I agree JWL. The idea of people enjoying an execution, regardless of the person is kind of sickening to me. I see Saddam and pity him, knowing what a life he wasted. I really don't have much desire in a public execution. I understand the reasonings behind the executions, and he commited some extremely horrible crimes against humanity. But I don't have much desire to see him executed. Though it will be nice to hopefully let a lot of people move on with their lives after years of persecution from his regime.

Edit - Forgot to mention. DragonmasterAndy, please watch the language. While we do have language filters in effect, which filtered your original wording, I still don't want people using that language on the boards. That goes for everyone else as well, as I've seen a number of others do it as of late.
-G1

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

I agree JWL. The idea of people enjoying an execution, regardless of the person is kind of sickening to me. I see Saddam and pity him, knowing what a life he wasted. I really don't have much desire in a public execution. I understand the reasonings behind the executions, and he commited some extremely horrible crimes against humanity. But I don't have much desire to see him executed. Though it will be nice to hopefully let a lot of people move on with their lives after years of persecution from his regime.
*Nods*

=(
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

Maiku
Student of Vane

Post by Maiku »

By now, everyone has probably seen the news...

I just now found out about it! >=(
It IS a bit sad to hear of anyone's death, yet Saddam's... I'm glad he died. For all his crimes, his death was well-deserving...

Now who wants cookies!!! ^_^

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

GhaleonOne wrote:I agree JWL. The idea of people enjoying an execution, regardless of the person is kind of sickening to me. I see Saddam and pity him, knowing what a life he wasted. I really don't have much desire in a public execution. I understand the reasonings behind the executions, and he commited some extremely horrible crimes against humanity. But I don't have much desire to see him executed. Though it will be nice to hopefully let a lot of people move on with their lives after years of persecution from his regime.

Edit - Forgot to mention. DragonmasterAndy, please watch the language. While we do have language filters in effect, which filtered your original wording, I still don't want people using that language on the boards. That goes for everyone else as well, as I've seen a number of others do it as of late.
GAH, alright.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well put, JWL and G1. It bothers me to see people being happy at another person's death. Relief, perhaps even satisfaction... I can understand those, though taking a life seems an usurpation of a higher judgment than ours. But what good is gleeful revenge? It doesn't undo the damage, it just makes us weaker. And enjoyment of public executions always smacked of a streak of sadism to me.

Though on the other hand I have a lot of trouble feeling much sympathy for the guy currently supposed to have been executed at San Quentin who has successfully argued that lethal injection is inhumane and so his execution has been put on hold while that's sorted out. IIRC he got the death penalty for rape and murder, and I can't imagine that the injection would be any less humane than what he put his victim through. Part of that's also that it came so closely after Stanley "Tookie" Williams was executed, when he actually seemed to be trying to do some good with his life after all this time. But that's a whole different topic; sorry for the sidetrack.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Vengence leads to the dark side of the force...

I somehow feel pity for Saddam, and some sadness that hangings still occure. While I do believe in the death penalty, I'm more for the lethal injection executions.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I do believe that the death penalty is cruel and inhumane - for everyone else. We always see an execution and we're alternately fascinated and overjoyed by it (if it serves us and we support it) or sickened (otherwise) or indifferent (apathetic, perhaps the worst choice). For the person undergoing it, it's an escape from having to live with the repercussions of his actions.

In the case of Saddam, I would've liked to see him locked up for another 20 or 30 years, never seeing the light of day. I'd give him a chance for remorse and reform.

To those that would rather let 'God sort them out...' meh. After all, who believes that they're (personally) going to hell? Hell is always something that happens to nobody (because it doesn't exist), or at least to other people (because your beliefs confirm your worldview).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Sonic# wrote:I do believe that the death penalty is cruel and inhumane - for everyone else. We always see an execution and we're alternately fascinated and overjoyed by it (if it serves us and we support it) or sickened (otherwise) or indifferent (apathetic, perhaps the worst choice). For the person undergoing it, it's an escape from having to live with the repercussions of his actions.

In the case of Saddam, I would've liked to see him locked up for another 20 or 30 years, never seeing the light of day. I'd give him a chance for remorse and reform.

To those that would rather let 'God sort them out...' meh. After all, who believes that they're (personally) going to hell? Hell is always something that happens to nobody (because it doesn't exist), or at least to other people (because your beliefs confirm your worldview).
ya, your probaly right it would have been more satifing to know that hes rotting ina prison cell.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Stringin' him up on the old tree.

It has a certain...wild wild west feel to it.

"Hang 'em at high noon, pardner."

Though I can say hanging is not a quick death. It takes a while to suffocate in a noose, unless you're lucky enough that the fall breaks your neck. Most people aren't. He will suffer being hanged.

I've been reading books where the families of the executed would pull on the heels of the hanged man to speed his death.

There'll be none pulling on Saddam's heels to speed him to hell, I'm well sure of that.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I can't wait until YTMND gets ahold of images or video of this happening.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's a lousy decision.

First off, the courts were unable to assign guilt to him for what is arguably his worst atrocity--the nerve gas attack on a Kurdish village. Instead, the hanging is for retribution killings that he ordered after an assassination attempt. Something like that makes me question the efficacy of the court system itself.

Thinking that "oh well, he was a brutal dictator and deserved to die anyway" is short-sighted as well. Anything that's done in the courts now is going to stand up as a precedent for the future (assuming that a civil war doesn't interrupt things). An execution is a lot bigger than just killing someone--if they wanted to do that, they'd just shoot him without going through the trouble of putting him on trial.

Second, it's awful timing. I don't buy Al-Maliki's explanation that waiting to execute him (even if just by two days) would've prolonged violence. He could've waited two days and scheduled the execution after Eid-al-Adha and avoided a lot of criticism and scorn, which would at least partially lessen the animosity coming from folks in his own country who oppose the execution.

Lastly, I don't like the spin that CNN and other US networks are putting on this. The execution is adding onto the divisiveness that's in Iraq right now, and I'm seeing little coverage on that from the US networks, which are portraying it as if everyone in Iraq is in celebration. That's not the case, and it's simplifying what's a complex and delicate matter--that, in fact, might be worsened by the execution. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Joe17
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Joe17 »

does anyone know of a website that airs the actual execution? I have browsed though youtube and stuff, but all I can get is what was on CNN. I am kinda mad that he got hung. I wanted to be the one to catch him.